Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   So, is the AF better with firmware 3? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50896)

pdk42 28th June 2019 10:06 PM

So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

I've been busy with other stuff so aside from upgrading and firing off a few test shots, I've not had the chance to see if the AF (esp CAF) is improved with the latest firmware.

Anyone got any views?

Olybirder 28th June 2019 10:36 PM

Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

I think it is.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1...n_owl_v3_0.jpg

Taken late this evening. I haven't checked all my other shots but it seems to acquire and hold focus better than before in C-AF mode. I think this is possibly the best Barn Owl shot I have achieved so far, so I am happy. :)

Ron

MJ224 29th June 2019 07:24 AM

Super photo Ron. Focus certainly was grabbed and held.....*chr

MJ224 29th June 2019 07:28 AM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3bb997e5_b.jpg

Bumble Bee

by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

I have photo'd several near macro shots with the 300mm Pro and 1.4TC. I would say that focus has improved quite some, especially C-AF. Difficult to quantify without the older firmware to compare side by side....*chr

TimP 29th June 2019 07:42 AM

Great barn owl shot. I’m currently looking through a few thousand taken at Cley last week but nothing is jumping out as good as that one.

pdk42 29th June 2019 09:09 AM

That Barn Owl is superb!

GyRob 29th June 2019 09:27 AM

I think it would be very hard to tell as the EM1X is just a little better around 25% in CAF so if the MKII has the same AF for most things both cameras will get the shot .

I only noticed on a burst of a BIF even then often it's how good your reaction time is on the day as to if one seems better but full marks to Olympus for the update I'm happy to take any improvement :)
Rob.

Keith-369 29th June 2019 10:29 AM

I went out, using V3 for the first time, the other day. I was using my 75-300ii and found that it hunted in certain circumstances and It never seemed to before the update. Wondering if a setting hasn't re-set properly.
Hope it's not a problem 'cause we're off on our jollies on Monday. I'll clean the contacts just in case.

*chr

CJJE 29th June 2019 08:53 PM

I was over at the Farne Islands yesterday with my 40-150mm f2.8 plus MC-14 teleconverter on my v3 E-M1 II. I was using CA + Tracking all the time and it seemed much better at keeping the focus on flying birds as they moved around in the viewfinder.

But I'm away from home still and so haven't downloaded the pics yet to examine them in detail!

Chris

Ross the fiddler 30th June 2019 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith-369 (Post 484409)
I went out, using V3 for the first time, the other day. I was using my 75-300ii and found that it hunted in certain circumstances and It never seemed to before the update. Wondering if a setting hasn't re-set properly.
Hope it's not a problem 'cause we're off on our jollies on Monday. I'll clean the contacts just in case.

*chr

Unfortunately, another person has a similar experience. He commented on FB.
Quote:

Rui M Leal One thing I find interesting with firm 3.0 is that now with my 12-40 and 7-14 f/2.8 the lens hunt more for focus (single small AF points) and I also get less sharp and in focus images, sometimes it even takes completely out of focus images. All this in low contrast and with some heavy back light situations and I never had this happening on older firmw.
It might be worth checking priority options in the Menu though.

Growltiger 30th June 2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 484452)
Unfortunately, another person has a similar experience. He commented on FB.

It might be worth checking priority options in the Menu though.

But neither post says whether settings were the same. For example was this using S-AF before and C-AF now? In both cases was this with small single focus point or something else? Without a lot more detailed info it doesn't really tell us much.

drmarkf 30th June 2019 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olybirder (Post 484362)
I think it is.
Taken late this evening. I haven't checked all my other shots but it seems to acquire and hold focus better than before in C-AF mode. I think this is possibly the best Barn Owl shot I have achieved so far, so I am happy. :)

Ron

Cracking shot, Ron.

May I ask about your settings there - CAF alone, how many focus points, lock setting? Also, what drive FPS?

I had an hour shooting dragonflies amid water and reeds, and overhead buzzards on Friday, and I formed the impression that initial acquisition of focus and holding of focus was a notch better against clear sky (all points CAF, 15fps, -2). Bursts of images gave a high proportion in focus.

However, following the insects flying in front of reeds wasn't any different, although initial acquisition was maybe quicker (9 point, other settings unchanged). Unfortunately I didn’t have time to try the latter test with lock at zero or even +1, which might have been better.

Trouble is, this sort of test is highly variable and subjective, influenced by all sorts of one-off variables and settings (and by hope!). Over time we will build up more of an accurate idea, but of course our individual skills improve naturally over time as well.

I am going back to the buzzard/dragonfly site next week, so I shall try to continue the test.

BTW Paul (Walti) would you be free any days next week and interested to join me? The pools are near Barton.

Ross the fiddler 30th June 2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Growltiger (Post 484455)
But neither post says whether settings were the same. For example was this using S-AF before and C-AF now? In both cases was this with small single focus point or something else? Without a lot more detailed info it doesn't really tell us much.

It was the small AF target which I personally would not use in lower light situations anyhow.
Quote:

Rui M Leal One thing I find interesting with firm 3.0 is that now with my 12-40 and 7-14 f/2.8 the lens hunt more for focus (single small AF points) and I also get less sharp and in focus images, sometimes it even takes completely out of focus images. All this in low contrast and with some heavy back light situations and I never had this happening on older firmw.
It sounds like he expects a lot, but is it really not as good as before?

Ross the fiddler 30th June 2019 08:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think low light S-AF single AF target (normal size) works great in near darkness (OK, very low light).
Here is one example.
Attachment 4995

When it actually looked as dark as this (without any exaggeration).
Attachment 4996

*chr

Keith-369 30th June 2019 10:06 AM

Thanks Ross for the info and thoughts.

Sorry, I was using C-AF and single AF small size. It didn't happen all the time but it never seemed to happen before the update.

I'm not on Facebook so I didn't know about the other person with the same(similar) problem.

Off early tomorrow so busy packing. I'll check things out and see if I can find any obvious changes.

Will be off line from this evening for a couple of weeks so will try to remember to report back on my return.

Thanks again
Keith
*chr