Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   E-PL3 enigma (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21350)

pandora 25th June 2012 10:45 PM

E-PL3 enigma

While in Melbourne over the past 5 days I had unwittingly left the SD card in my laptop back at the hotel when I took the E-PL3 out for a shoot.

Can anyone explain why the first 20 exposures or so appeared to be writing to media before the "No Card" warning appeared on screen ?

Does the camera have an default memory that will write a limited number of images before the warning appears ?

If so, then how are these images accessed ?

Graham_of_Rainham 26th June 2012 09:08 AM

Re: E-PL3 enigma

That's strange, I thought the "NO CARD" message came up straight away...

There is a buffer that the sensor data goes through on its way to the card, but I don't think it will "store" images.

If it will, it begs the question: Can you "hot swap" SD Cards if they are full and you have kept shooting... *???

Ross the fiddler 26th June 2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 173514)
While in Melbourne over the past 5 days I had unwittingly left the SD card in my laptop back at the hotel when I took the E-PL3 out for a shoot.

Can anyone explain why the first 20 exposures or so appeared to be writing to media before the "No Card" warning appeared on screen ?

Does the camera have an default memory that will write a limited number of images before the warning appears ?

If so, then how are these images accessed ?

I think that model might have a 2GB internal memory (I might be thinking of one of the ultrazoom P&S in our house). I'll check the specs & manual. Edit: Nah, I just checked & there is no internal memory. Sorry.

I did that the other day with my E-M5 of some birds (the feathered kind :rolleyes:), only to discover there was no card. :mad:

pandora 26th June 2012 12:26 PM

Thanks Ross ... sadly I'm no kind of techie where cams are concerned, like cars, I just drive 'em.

Can't understand why image display occurred after each shot though ???

It happened at Melbourne's botanic gardens, I lost a few nice close ups of cactii.

There'll be another time.

pandora 26th June 2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham (Post 173553)
That's strange, I thought the "NO CARD" message came up straight away...

There is a buffer that the sensor data goes through on its way to the card, but I don't think it will "store" images.

If it will, it begs the question: Can you "hot swap" SD Cards if they are full and you have kept shooting... *???

Thanks anyway, Graham.

Ross the fiddler 26th June 2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 173577)
Thanks Ross ... sadly I'm no kind of techie where cams are concerned, like cars, I just drive 'em.

Can't understand why image display occurred after each shot though ???

It happened at Melbourne's botanic gardens, I lost a few nice close ups of cactii.

There'll be another time.

And I got caught out too. The [no card] did flash up & disappeared as soon as the shutter button (or was it the play button?) was pressed. I didn't get time to see what it was at first. Just as well it wasn't some other 'pretty bird' photos I lost. ;)

pandora 26th June 2012 01:47 PM

Normally I would have remembered to take along a cable to download to the laptop but on this occasion I forgot.

Downloading direct from the card is a hazardous practice for the chronically absent minded, Ross.

Ross the fiddler 26th June 2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 173591)
Normally I would have remembered to take along a cable to download to the laptop but on this occasion I forgot.

Downloading direct from the card is a hazardous practice for the chronically absent minded, Ross.

It's better to be absent minded than clumsy because that's how I stuffed the connecter in my E520 & hence the card download procedure was adopted. :o
Besides, it downloads quicker from the card reader.

I might be clumsy, but not dumb (others may disagree) as it gave me a good excuse to get the E30 at the time (although the E520 continues to work).

pandora 26th June 2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 173664)
It's better to be absent minded than clumsy ... I might be clumsy, but not dumb (others may disagree)

So what do you say to a colleague who is afflicted with all three :confused: ... :( Edit: With those words you have encompassed my psychological profile, Ross :rolleyes: