Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Strange 'phone calls! (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50988)

Jim Ford 10th July 2019 11:51 AM

Strange 'phone calls!

I occasionally get brief calls from obscure and far away places on my mobile. I've had them from Tobago, Vietnam, Cameroon, and Turks and Caicos.

The phone just gives a couple of rings, before stopping. I block the numbers just in case.

Any body know what can be going on?

Jim

pdk42 10th July 2019 12:24 PM

Re: Strange 'phone calls!

Maybe a distant and unknown relative has died and left you a large sum of money?

sapper 10th July 2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 485195)
I occasionally get brief calls from obscure and far away places on my mobile. I've had them from Tobago, Vietnam, Cameroon, and Turks and Caicos.

The phone just gives a couple of rings, before stopping. I block the numbers just in case.

Any body know what can be going on?

Jim

I get notifications of a voicemail but when I call voicemail, I get the message, there are no voicemails. Weird.

Graham_of_Rainham 10th July 2019 04:06 PM

I got one from “Customs & Excise” saying that there would be an arrest warrant issued for me if I didn’t press “1”... :eek:

Zuiko 10th July 2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham (Post 485201)
I got one from “Customs & Excise” saying that there would be an arrest warrant issued for me if I didn’t press “1”... :eek:

So what happened when you pressed "1" ? :D

TimP 10th July 2019 08:33 PM

I’d certainly press it for a laugh. They can’t charge you as it’s an incoming call so some fun could be had. Probably end up with me swearing at them as usually happens!

Graham_of_Rainham 10th July 2019 08:42 PM

It was an 0300 number and I have heard that they can do some very clever things with them, so I didn’t press anything...

By the strangest of co-incidences, this happened when I was in the London Docklands Museum, looking at the exhibit on Customs activities in the old docks.

All very strange. :confused:

blu-by-u 11th July 2019 01:32 AM

:eek: you guys are also getting those calls? I thought it was because of the poor security on the M'sian telcos. I get calls from the inland tax, also from the court and even loan sharks.

Zuiko 11th July 2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blu-by-u (Post 485225)
:eek: you guys are also getting those calls? I thought it was because of the poor security on the M'sian telcos. I get calls from the inland tax, also from the court and even loan sharks.

I think scamming is a global industry, Henry. :eek:

Jim Ford 11th July 2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 485208)
So what happened when you pressed "1" ? :D

He ended up in the 'slammer' - from where he posted the message! ;)

Jim

Jax 11th July 2019 09:46 AM

We have been receiving phone calls with a recorded message supposedly from Visa Security Dept. They state a large withdrawal had been made on our debit card and to press (1) for details.

The strange thing is, dialing 1471 indicates it's an (01) land line number.

The bank states they are aware of the calls and confirmed it was a scam which they were investigating. I would have thought an 01 land line number could have been easily traced :confused:

Maybe it's that guy from Nigeria again who used to offer me lots of money? He's probably changed his scam, moved to London, and sat in a phone box outside Victoria Station complete with flask of coffee and butty box :D

Alternatively, this is maybe the answer: https://www.virtuallandline.co.uk

Jax

Otto 11th July 2019 11:02 AM

I've had the occasional call from a number which appears to be from my local exchange as it starts with the same 5-digit 01nnn code. But the sixth digit was 7 and there are no numbers with the local code which start with 7 so it was a spoofed number. It appears to be fairly easy to fool the caller ID system.

Naughty Nigel 14th July 2019 01:56 PM

Please be warned: there are hundreds of 'apps', many of them free, that allow mobile callers to display whichever Caller ID they want. This is now a very common problem. If you try to redial the number you will either receive an 'unobtainable' tone or you will be connected to the real number, if it exists.

I have personal knowledge of a bank fraud where the scammers called purporting to be bank employees calling about a failed CHAPS payment for around £250,000. The scammers had inside knowledge because the transaction was real, but had not failed. When the accounts staff refused to speak to the callers they asked who they usually dealt with at the bank, and what their number was. Within a minute or two there was a call from the bank's number, but they were not bank staff. In total they scammed well over £one million in the space of about half an hour!

MJ224 14th July 2019 04:51 PM

In the last week, I have had two emails from the Inland Revenue saying I have a Tax rebate due...………….

When it comes I might be able to afford the new 100-400 Oly lens...…….*chr