Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Standard zoom and mid range (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8??? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44994)

Talkingdrum 4th May 2017 06:36 PM

No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
I purchased a 17mm 1.8 this afternoon and I'm surprised to find that when I pull the focus ring back, the camera goes into MF I have peaking but there is no magnification for MF assist. I checked the settings, clutch is operational, MF Assist is "On" for both peaking and magnification If I put the camera into MF on the body I get the magnification, but not if I use the focus ring to enable MF (and I am definitely in MF because it says so in the view finder and I can focus). Incidentally if I have MF set on the body I have magnification but if I pull the focus ring back I lose it.
I'm new to this system (OMD MI MKII) and the only only other lens I have is the 12-100 and that works just fine. Pull the ring back try focusing and I have magnification.
Is it just that 17mm doesn't have that facility. I can't understand why that would be. If that is the case I will be very disappointed as I only bought this lens over the Panasonic 20mm for this very feature. If I have to change to MF on the body I may as well have bought the Panasonic. Firmware is up to date on both body and camera.
Is it a faulty lens?
Am I missing something in settings?

PeterBirder 4th May 2017 08:11 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
This is how this lens works.

See this recent thread and specifically my post #4. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44905

Regards.*chr

Talkingdrum 4th May 2017 11:50 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
I'm absolutely astonished! This feature is one of the selling points of this lens. Nowhere did I read in any review that if you employ this method of switching to manual focus you will completely disable all manual focus assists! What's the point in that? It's utterly useless - no in fact is worse than useless because it's something that you might accidentally engage and thereby disable MF assists. I'm going to have to remember that every time I use this thing I'm going to have to go into settings and disable the clutch or just be very careful.
Am I missing something here? Isn't this the most ridiculous implementation of a feature imaginable? Does anyone actually use the clutch on this lens? I'm speechless.

Talkingdrum 5th May 2017 12:13 AM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterBirder (Post 413636)
This is how this lens works.

See this recent thread and specifically my post #4. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44905

Regards.*chr

Your answer in that thread doesn't hold any water. Certainly on my copy if I turn the ring to infinity the infinity mark goes past the marker nearly 4mm (which is a lot on a lens that size) so clearly the scale is not even close to being accurate. I've got a good mind to return it for that reason alone.

Phill D 5th May 2017 06:30 AM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Well I've just learnt that my 17mm has a pull back mechanism :o Had to get it out to convince myself and you are correct. So I guess luckily your issue wont effect me. Sounds like you should send it back and get the Panasonic lens if you originally preferred that one, although it doesn't sound as if it's going to solve your problem.

Bikie John 5th May 2017 08:48 AM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
I'm not sure, but I think the 17/1.8 was the first lens to have the MF clutch, so it is possible that it evolved with later models as a result of experience. Although it seems strange, because I would expect the functions that you talk about to be a function of firmware in the body rather than anything in the lens.

Which doesn't help with your current problem, of course :)

John

Bikie John 5th May 2017 08:49 AM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phill D (Post 413651)
Well I've just learnt that my 17mm has a pull back mechanism :o Had to get it out to convince myself and you are correct. So I guess luckily your issue wont effect me. Sounds like you should send it back and get the Panasonic lens if you originally preferred that one, although it doesn't sound as if it's going to solve your problem.

That must put you in a small minority of people who haven't engaged it accidentally and wondered why the camera won't focus Phill :D

John

Talkingdrum 5th May 2017 10:13 AM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikie John (Post 413658)
That must put you in a small minority of people who haven't engaged it accidentally and wondered why the camera won't focus Phill :D

John

You miss the point. I manual focus most of the time, to me you can hit focus on exactly what you want much quicker than faffing around with moving focus points in AF etc. It's not difficult to imagine a situation where I have the body set to MF, I see a shot lift the camera to capture that instant, try to focus (I for one, cannot focus quickly or to any degree of accuracy unassisted with a 17mm lens on a 4 thirds system), the assists don't kick in and in that moment lose a shot. Sure it would be a VERY rare scenario but my point remains valid - for manual photography this feature is LESS than useless. As a manual shooter, to me this lens would be better without this stupid functionality (and by that I mean engaging manual focus disables MF assists - think about that for a minute).
Maybe there is another person on this forum that shoots MF and can explain to me how useful it is?
I've slept on it overnight and it's going back this morning - it's just some sort of bad joke.

PeterBirder 5th May 2017 10:35 AM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkingdrum (Post 413646)
Your answer in that thread doesn't hold any water. Certainly on my copy if I turn the ring to infinity the infinity mark goes past the marker nearly 4mm (which is a lot on a lens that size) so clearly the scale is not even close to being accurate. I've got a good mind to return it for that reason alone.

This feature is intended for use when "zone focusing" not as a means of selecting manual focus.

This link explains what zone focusing is and how to use it for "street photography" which is the main use these days.
https://www.streethunters.net/blog/2...t-photography/

Bikie John 5th May 2017 11:28 AM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkingdrum (Post 413661)
You miss the point. I manual focus most of the time, to me you can hit focus on exactly what you want much quicker than faffing around with moving focus points in AF etc. It's not difficult to imagine a situation where I have the body set to MF, I see a shot lift the camera to capture that instant, try to focus (I for one, cannot focus quickly or to any degree of accuracy unassisted with a 17mm lens on a 4 thirds system), the assists don't kick in and in that moment lose a shot. Sure it would be a VERY rare scenario but my point remains valid - for manual photography this feature is LESS than useless. As a manual shooter, to me this lens would be better without this stupid functionality (and by that I mean engaging manual focus disables MF assists - think about that for a minute).
Maybe there is another person on this forum that shoots MF and can explain to me how useful it is?
I've slept on it overnight and it's going back this morning - it's just some sort of bad joke.

Sorry Talkingdrum - I (think I) understand your problem and don't wish to downplay it. My first response was to you, as an attempt to explain how it might have come about, even though that doesn't help you solve it.

My second response was an entirely flippant one to Phill - referring to the fact that we often have posts from people who have accidentally set the MF mode on without realising and then wonder why the lens won't AF.

John

pdk42 5th May 2017 11:45 AM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
I've used Olympus u43 for some time and I really don't agree with your view on this. Manual focusing of lenses like the 17 is sort of pointless IMHO since AF is so good. You say you don't like AF because you don't want to move the focus point around - but it's the same with MF really since unless you magnify the point you're focusing on the process is not sufficiently accurate. Peeking on the non-magnified view isn't a reliable-enough method. You need to use it on the magnified view, but even then even Olympus in the manual play down its accuracy.

As others have said, the clutch is really designed for zone focusing (for "street shooting"). If you really want manual focus then buy a Voigtlander 17.5. That's a much better option if MF is really your thing. However, Olympus's focus aid implementation lacks a " picture in picture " magnified area which to me makes it a pretty crude implementation. Panasonic do a much better one, as do Fuji.

Talkingdrum 5th May 2017 11:46 AM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikie John (Post 413666)
Sorry Talkingdrum - I (think I) understand your problem and don't wish to downplay it. My first response was to you, as an attempt to explain how it might have come about, even though that doesn't help you solve it.

My second response was an entirely flippant one to Phill - referring to the fact that we often have posts from people who have accidentally set the MF mode on without realising and then wonder why the lens won't AF.

John

Don't worry about it, I didn't take any offence. I'm just venting my frustration. I chose that as a light weight walk around over the Panasonic for that feature alone and I'm just astonished it behaves in that way. There may well be a technical reason that it can't be changed with a firmware update or it may be a marketing decision not to do it. Either way it's really not so important, it's definitely a "first world" problem.
I have sent the lens back and they are sending me the Panasonic 20mm in exchange. I know I am going to prefer the 40mm equivalent better because I always find 35mm a little too wide for my taste.

Talkingdrum 5th May 2017 12:06 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 413669)
I've used Olympus u43 for some time and I really don't agree with your view on this. Manual focusing of lenses like the 17 is sort of pointless IMHO since AF is so good. You say you don't like AF because you don't want to move the focus point around - but it's the same with MF really since unless you magnify the point you're focusing on the process is not sufficiently accurate. Peeking on the non-magnified view isn't a reliable-enough method. You need to use it on the magnified view, but even then even Olympus in the manual play down its accuracy.

As others have said, the clutch is really designed for zone focusing (for "street shooting"). If you really want manual focus then buy a Voigtlander 17.5. That's a much better option if MF is really your thing. However, Olympus's focus aid implementation lacks a " picture in picture " magnified area which to me makes it a pretty crude implementation. Panasonic do a much better one, as do Fuji.

AF is so good, but the problem is that you are still relying on the camera to choose precisely what it is that you want to focus on. To me it's just annoying most of the time. Kind of like messing around with exposure compensation - take control of the camera, have it manual and it's never needed. With the OMD 1 MKii if you are in MF then you can have it set so that the moment you touch the focus ring magnification kicks in (unless the MF clutch is engaged of course!). There's a ridiculous autofocus feature on this camera where you can choose a focus point and then zoom in in that point and then choose another focus point with in that so that you get a more accurate focus point for what you want. By the time you've done all a quick twist of the focus ring in manual, a split second you're bang on.
At the end of the day each to their own. Because of AF a lot of people don't even try manual focusing. It's far superior in my opinion and I'm sure that if people tried it many would not go back.

Talkingdrum 5th May 2017 12:10 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 413669)
I've used Olympus u43 for some time and I really don't agree with your view on this. Manual focusing of lenses like the 17 is sort of pointless IMHO since AF is so good. You say you don't like AF because you don't want to move the focus point around - but it's the same with MF really since unless you magnify the point you're focusing on the process is not sufficiently accurate. Peeking on the non-magnified view isn't a reliable-enough method. You need to use it on the magnified view, but even then even Olympus in the manual play down its accuracy.


As others have said, the clutch is really designed for zone focusing (for "street shooting"). If you really want manual focus then buy a Voigtlander 17.5. That's a much better option if MF is really your thing. However, Olympus's focus aid implementation lacks a " picture in picture " magnified area which to me makes it a pretty crude implementation. Panasonic do a much better one, as do Fuji.

AF is so good, but the problem is that you are still relying on the camera to choose precisely what it is that you want to focus on. To me it's just annoying most of the time. Kind of like messing around with exposure compensation - take control of the camera, have it manual and it's never needed. With the OMD 1 MKii if you are in MF then you can have it set so that the moment you touch the focus ring magnification kicks in (unless the MF clutch is engaged of course!). There's a ridiculous autofocus feature on this camera where you can choose a focus point and then zoom in in that point and then choose another focus point with in that so that you get a more accurate focus point for what you want. By the time you've done all a quick twist of the focus ring in manual, a split second you're bang on.
At the end of the day each to their own. Because of AF a lot of people don't even try manual focusing. It's far superior in my opinion and I'm sure that if people tried it many would not go back.

I totally agree with you about Voigtlander 17.5, but I have chosen this camera so I have a light weight alternative to carrying around my DSLR system or medium format film cameras. I'm probably expecting too much of a Micro 4/3 system to behave like a professional tool.

Ricoh 5th May 2017 03:24 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 413669)
I've used Olympus u43 for some time and I really don't agree with your view on this. Manual focusing of lenses like the 17 is sort of pointless IMHO since AF is so good.

As others have said, the clutch is really designed for zone focusing (for "street shooting"). If you really want manual focus then buy a Voigtlander 17.5. That's a much better option if MF is really your thing. However, Olympus's focus aid implementation lacks a " picture in picture " magnified area which to me makes it a pretty crude implementation. Panasonic do a much better one, as do Fuji.

AF is really quick on the Oly 17 and also on the Panny 15, but really quick isn't quick enough for street. Only zone cuts the mustard.

In general the trouble using AF lenses in MF mode is the short focus throw. For accurate MF, it's desirable to have as large a throw as possible (as long as doesn't exceed 360 degrees :) ). However the AF system needs a short focus throw for speed of focus acquisition and the two needs are mutually incompatible.

pdk42 5th May 2017 06:25 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkingdrum (Post 413673)
AF is so good, but the problem is that you are still relying on the camera to choose precisely what it is that you want to focus on. To me it's just annoying most of the time. Kind of like messing around with exposure compensation - take control of the camera, have it manual and it's never needed. With the OMD 1 MKii if you are in MF then you can have it set so that the moment you touch the focus ring magnification kicks in (unless the MF clutch is engaged of course!). There's a ridiculous autofocus feature on this camera where you can choose a focus point and then zoom in in that point and then choose another focus point with in that so that you get a more accurate focus point for what you want. By the time you've done all a quick twist of the focus ring in manual, a split second you're bang on.
At the end of the day each to their own. Because of AF a lot of people don't even try manual focusing. It's far superior in my opinion and I'm sure that if people tried it many would not go back.

I totally agree with you about Voigtlander 17.5, but I have chosen this camera so I have a light weight alternative to carrying around my DSLR system or medium format film cameras. I'm probably expecting too much of a Micro 4/3 system to behave like a professional tool.

Sorry, but I'm still not with you... You don't need to leave AF to choose its own point. I agree that doing so really isn't a smart idea. However, whether you use AF or MF you still need to move the focus point over the thing you want to shoot so in what way is MF faster? You can always focus and recompose to avoid moving the point but you can do that with AF or MF .

Talkingdrum 5th May 2017 08:06 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 413686)
Sorry, but I'm still not with you... You don't need to leave AF to choose its own point. I agree that doing so really isn't a smart idea. However, whether you use AF or MF you still need to move the focus point over the thing you want to shoot so in what way is MF faster? You can always focus and recompose to avoid moving the point but you can do that with AF or MF .

There are many short comings in AF. Ok this doesn't necessarily apply to this lens but having done a great deal of portrait photography, if you use AF, time and time again the AF will focus on the eyebrow or the nose and what you want is the eye. Doing portraits it will rarely hit the eye bang on. The trouble is you see a green rectangle. People think that whatever they place inside that green rectangle will be in focus. This is not true, the focus points are on the green lines of the rectangle. The green rectangle will more often than not, not be covering a flat plane (e.g. a face) so the camera has to make a decision which point on the AF green rectangle it's going to pick to focus on. If someone's eye is in the middle of the focus rectangle the camera will not focus on the eye but on the eyebrow which is being covered by the rectangle. That's just one example. Taking photographs of small objects some distance from the background or something a little more ethereal like wispy grass, you must have experienced difficulty in getting the camera to focus on what you want it to. I could go on with numerous other short comings of AF but you have none of these problems in MF. A quick turn of the dial and bang, you're on every time. AF definitely has its place for sports and fast moving subjects. At the end of the day its each to his own which makes for an interesting world. Every time I get a new camera AF technology has moved on and I play around with it (the new OMD - 1 MK2 has not just face recognition but eye recognition to focus on the eye), but after a short while its short comings just become frustrating when it's so easy to manual focus on these cameras with MF assists.

Ricoh 5th May 2017 08:36 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
I wasn't aware of the rectangle thing, thanks for the info.

Personally I find AF to be something akin to a focus lottery and I avoid it if I can. However, I think manufacturers have hit a gold mine here; it's so much easier to make a servo assisted focusing system without distance and DoF scales, plus the gubbins to make it work reliably.

Who in God's name thought AF was a good idea? Good for the lazy photographer, maybe.

pdk42 5th May 2017 09:16 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Well, each to their own, but my experience is that AF works extremely well in nearly all circumstances. Since going to u43 I've used AF probably 98% of the time and I hardly ever get out of focus shots. In fact, I probably had a higher % of OOF shots during my time with the manual-focus-only CV 17.5 than with any of the AF lenses.

I understand all of Talkingdrum's points about the potential for making bad assumptions on what's in focus in the green rectangle but with a little care and understanding of how the system works the problems are pretty insubstantial IMHO.

The point about focusing on the eye is a good one, but the Olympus eye detect AF feature is superb and it makes perfectly sharp portraits much easier than MF.

I'm no Johnny-come-lately who has never used MF either - I started with a Practica L back in the 70s. But I like the fact that technology can make our lives easier and deliver better results.

pdk42 5th May 2017 09:24 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 413696)
I wasn't aware of the rectangle thing, thanks for the info.

Personally I find AF to be something akin to a focus lottery and I avoid it if I can. However, I think manufacturers have hit a gold mine here; it's so much easier to make a servo assisted focusing system without distance and DoF scales, plus the gubbins to make it work reliably.

Who in God's name thought AF was a good idea? Good for the lazy photographer, maybe.

Well Steve, I know you're a great street photographer so I hate to disagree with you - but manufacturers certainly don't invest all the effort they do in AF systems because it's "easy". They do it because AF is, for the vast majority of photographers, a fast and reliable method for getting sharp shots - shots which are often nowadays viewed at very high resolutions and taken with wide lenses with narrow DOF. The bar on what's acceptably sharp is higher than it's ever been.

And please, AF is not the refuse of the lazy photographer - it's the refuse of the smart photographer who learns how it works and uses it properly!

Ricoh 5th May 2017 09:38 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Paul, have to correct you, I've never been a great street tog, and never will be. In fact I'm doing less and less these days, my interest recently has been 'colour pop' having studied Hass and Leiter. And once I get my head around using analogue and no chimping (how I miss chimping :) ) my intentions are heading towards colour reversal.

Phill D 6th May 2017 10:02 AM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Interesting discussion. I wasn't aware of the rectangle effect in af either.

Oh and no problem John I appreciated your humour :)

pdk42 6th May 2017 11:56 AM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkingdrum (Post 413695)
... the focus points are on the green lines of the rectangle.

Actually, the reality is more complex. This post thread over on DPR (specifically on the E-M1ii) illustrates it pretty well:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59478635

Talkingdrum 6th May 2017 12:24 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
1 Attachment(s)
I posted this last night but it seems to have disappeared??? (maybe I only pressed "preview post" and not "submit reply".)
Anyway here it is again:
Here is a screen shot from a review on youtube of this lens. Whilst extolling the virtues of the manual clutch the reviewer failed to notice that he has just focused PAST infinity! - a long way past (see attached picture)
Having established in this thread that the clutch is not meant for engaging manual focus in any normal sense but merely to put it into manual and to use the depth of field scale for focusing, this requires an accurate depth of field scale. My depth of field scale is the same as in the reviewer's. It's not just out, it is WAY OUT! It is utterly useless for that purpose as well.
Surely the everyone who has bought this lens has paid a percentage of the cost of their purchase (the implementation of this feature won't have come cheap) on something that is totally unfit for purpose - any purpose!
Incidentally I checked my Olympus pro lens (the only other 4/3 lens I own as I am new to this system) and the distance scale goes so far beyond infinity it's in another galaxy! Again I'm speechless.

Ricoh 6th May 2017 12:46 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Ive owned and sold the 1:1.8 17mm and although the overall build and feel was superb, I was less impressed with manual focus in what I think the manufacturers call the snapshot mode. I was aware of focus beyond infinity (what a concept, you normally need dilithium crystals :) ) but reconciled the need of the autofocus servo mechanism to overshoot, otherwise the motor would stall against the end stops, with a sudden peak in current.
What I wasn't aware of however was that the pull back ring just operated as an on/off switch.

PeterBirder 6th May 2017 01:30 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkingdrum (Post 413725)
I posted this last night but it seems to have disappeared???

That's because you posted it in your Highlight Clipping thread.;)

Talkingdrum 6th May 2017 01:46 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterBirder (Post 413727)
That's because you posted it in your Highlight Clipping thread.;)

Damn! Never post on the internet after hitting the brandy *laugh

pdk42 6th May 2017 01:53 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkingdrum (Post 413725)
I posted this last night but it seems to have disappeared??? (maybe I only pressed "preview post" and not "submit reply".)
Anyway here it is again:
Here is a screen shot from a review on youtube of this lens. Whilst extolling the virtues of the manual clutch the reviewer failed to notice that he has just focused PAST infinity! - a long way past (see attached picture)
Having established in this thread that the clutch is not meant for engaging manual focus in any normal sense but merely to put it into manual and to use the depth of field scale for focusing, this requires an accurate depth of field scale. My depth of field scale is the same as in the reviewer's. It's not just out, it is WAY OUT! It is utterly useless for that purpose as well.
Surely the everyone who has bought this lens has paid a percentage of the cost of their purchase (the implementation of this feature won't have come cheap) on something that is totally unfit for purpose - any purpose!
Incidentally I checked my Olympus pro lens (the only other 4/3 lens I own as I am new to this system) and the distance scale goes so far beyond infinity it's in another galaxy! Again I'm speechless.

I think we've got it now that you're not impressed with the MF clutch on the 17mm f1.8! In a sense I agree with you - I think it's a pretty lame feature, but since I rarely use MF it's not something that bothers me. You'll find the same problem exists on pretty much all the mirrorless cameras using their native lenses. It's just how it is. The systems are designed for AF.

If MF that stops at infinity + mirrorless is really how you want to operate I think your best bet is to use a proper mechanically linked MF lens together with a Sony A7. The Sony A7 series offer excellent focus peaking and together with a huge selection of 35mm legacy lenses (the Olympus OM lenses included) and native MF lenses like the Zeiss Loxia you'll get the experience you're seeking. I don't think that drive-by-wire MF trickery is going to deliver what you're looking for.

Well, either that or a Leica rangefinder?

Ricoh 6th May 2017 02:24 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Leica are probably top of the tree for RF, but with more or less any RF you'll find MF a joy to use. But be very careful. It will put you off AF once you get the hang of it. Plus you can focus with both eyes open.
Leica RFs need not be expensive either, some very good analogue versions can be picked up sub 1k.

Talkingdrum 6th May 2017 02:41 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 413729)
I think we've got it now that you're not impressed with the MF clutch on the 17mm f1.8! In a sense I agree with you - I think it's a pretty lame feature, but since I rarely use MF it's not something that bothers me. You'll find the same problem exists on pretty much all the mirrorless cameras using their native lenses. It's just how it is. The systems are designed for AF.

If MF that stops at infinity + mirrorless is really how you want to operate I think your best bet is to use a proper mechanically linked MF lens together with a Sony A7. The Sony A7 series offer excellent focus peaking and together with a huge selection of 35mm legacy lenses (the Olympus OM lenses included) and native MF lenses like the Zeiss Loxia you'll get the experience you're seeking. I don't think that drive-by-wire MF trickery is going to deliver what you're looking for.

Well, either that or a Leica rangefinder?

I'm making much more of a fuss than the problem warrants. It's just that it took me a bit by surprise when I put the lens on. I have the 12-100 and the clutch works great on that. I just thought and wanted the 17mm to work in the same way.
I did look at the A7 but came across this really interesting article which drives home the pointlessness of full frame mirrorless cameras and it made a lot of sense to me so I went for the micro 4/3:
https://petapixel.com/2016/04/04/son...fatal-mistake/

Like I said in a previous post, I have a full frame DSLR (D700) along with ALL the lenses (I've been shooting for nearly 50 years) along with a Leica rangefinder (film), Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiya etc etc all of which I still use. I have been using a fuji x100t as a keep in the pocket camera.
I'm going on my honeymoon to Indonesia in a couple of months so I wanted to take something more versatile than the x100t but my new wife would not appreciate me lugging around my usual bag of bodies and lenses so opted for the OMD-1 MK2 with the 12-100. Before it arrived I kept my expectations of the system realistic as it's an MFT system with a lens with such a broad focal range but took it to Madrid last week a couple of days after I got the camera and I have to say I'm really blown away by the results. Not just the image quality but the usability of the camera as well. The MF assists are fantastic and histogram design is great (so much better than the fuji). I decided when I returned I will be using the OMD much more than I thought hence buying as walk around lens and using it in place of the x100t. Despite my moaning I love the camera and I'm waiting for the 20mm 1.7 to arrive to replace the 17mm which I sent back (20mm will suit me much more then 17mm).

pdk42 6th May 2017 03:04 PM

Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkingdrum (Post 413734)
I'm making much more of a fuss than the problem warrants. It's just that it took me a bit by surprise when I put the lens on. I have the 12-100 and the clutch works great on that. I just thought and wanted the 17mm to work in the same way.
I did look at the A7 but came across this really interesting article which drives home the pointlessness of full frame mirrorless cameras and it made a lot of sense to me so I went for the micro 4/3:
https://petapixel.com/2016/04/04/son...fatal-mistake/

Like I said in a previous post, I have a full frame DSLR (D700) along with ALL the lenses (I've been shooting for nearly 50 years) along with a Leica rangefinder (film), Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiya etc etc all of which I still use. I have been using a fuji x100t as a keep in the pocket camera.
I'm going on my honeymoon to Indonesia in a couple of months so I wanted to take something more versatile than the x100t but my new wife would not appreciate me lugging around my usual bag of bodies and lenses so opted for the OMD-1 MK2 with the 12-100. Before it arrived I kept my expectations of the system realistic as it's an MFT system with a lens with such a broad focal range but took it to Madrid last week a couple of days after I got the camera and I have to say I'm really blown away by the results. Not just the image quality but the usability of the camera as well. The MF assists are fantastic and histogram design is great (so much better than the fuji). I decided when I returned I will be using the OMD much more than I thought hence buying as walk around lens and using it in place of the x100t. Despite my moaning I love the camera and I'm waiting for the 20mm 1.7 to arrive to replace the 17mm which I sent back (20mm will suit me much more then 17mm).

Ah, OK - I understand the context much better now! I too have the E-M1ii plus 12-100 and I totally agree what a great combination it is. The results are really spectacular. Much better than I was expecting. Despite its size I'm now finding I'm using it a lot. Amazing lens for daytime use.

As regards the 20mm/1.7 - that's a great lens too. AF is pretty slow - but it sounds like that won't bother you :)

Enjoy the honeymoon in Indonesia - don't forget to post some pictures for us when you get back!


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:19 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger