Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Camera conference (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Four Thirds solution - what would you like to see? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23569)

Ian 16th October 2012 02:52 PM

The Four Thirds solution - what would you like to see?

Let's make an assumption that the camera body being promised for Four Thirds lens fans by Olympus is mirrorless and not a conventional DSLR. And let's assume it has an electronic viewfinder, like the E-M5. So - here are some potential feature variables - which would you like?

1. Micro Four Thirds body with Sony-style adapter with semi-silvered mirror and conventional DSLR-style phase detect AF.

2. Four Thirds (MFT incompatible) body.

3. Micro Four Thirds body with trick sensor-based AF that works equally well with MFT and Four Thirds lenses.

Also - how big should the camera body be? E-3/5 sized, E-620 sized?

What other features would you like to see?

Ian

Barr1e 16th October 2012 03:05 PM

Re: The Four Thirds solution - what would you like to see?

E-5 body size without having to use adapters ie current 4/3rds lenses.

Regards. Barr1e

Stewart G 16th October 2012 03:23 PM

As bare bones as possible, a PASM shooter's rig, about the size of the 5xx series, or just a hopped-up e-1.

Daveart 16th October 2012 04:10 PM

E510 sized body that will focus well with 4/3rds body, mirrorless or not that has em5 sensor pref mirrorless as third party lens manufactures are producing lenses for m4/3rds over 4/3rds. With cannon type focusing that appears to work in mirrorless type bodies so able to use full 4/3rds lens via an adapter.

Not sure that the sony approach with silvered adapter really works, for our sized sensors, don't think it works reliably in the Sony camera either.

Dave

Bikie John 16th October 2012 04:15 PM

From my viewpoint:

1. No, no and a thousand times no. Even with the E-M5's more sensitive sensor I bump up against its limits in low light so I really do NOT want to lose any light to an adapter.

2. I would be OK with this, as long as it was plug-compatible with other 4/3 things like battery grip, cabled remote etc.

3. I would probably be OK with this as well, subject to fiunding out the details. For example I wouldn't want to lash out on yet another adapter, specially not an adapter priced by the accountants in Oly's lens hood division. If any such adapter were included with the body for registered E-x or E-xxx users that would sweeten the pill considerably. I would need the whole setup to be robust and weatherproof to E-x standards.

As for size/weight, I don't really care as long as it comes in at or under the E-5 (and the battery grip fits if appropriate).

Ciao ... John

PS Option 1 - no thanks. Just in case you hadn't guessed already.

Gwyver 16th October 2012 04:16 PM

Ian,
These options raise some further questions:-
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 193582)
Let's make an assumption that the camera body being promised for Four Thirds lens fans by Olympus is mirrorless and not a conventional DSLR. And let's assume it has an electronic viewfinder, like the E-M5. So - here are some potential feature variables - which would you like?

1. Micro Four Thirds body with Sony-style adapter with semi-silvered mirror and conventional DSLR-style phase detect AF.
Is it a given that MFT lenses will work as well with PDAF as they do with CDAF?
2. Four Thirds (MFT incompatible) body.
Would FT owners be happy to be excluded from use of some of the high quality prime (e.g 60mm Macro & 75mm 1.8 that are now part of the MFT line-up? Would Olympus make a new body exclusively for the decreasing number of FT users?
3. Micro Four Thirds body with trick sensor-based AF that works equally well with MFT and Four Thirds lenses.
Does "works equally well" imply 'as well as MFT lenses work on the best MFT body and as well as FT lenses work on the E5?
Also - how big should the camera body be? E-3/5 sized, E-620 sized?

What other features would you like to see?

Ian

So, I'm not yet sure how to vote on the options you propose but am certain that such a camera body should be substantially smaller than an E-3/5

SteveJ 16th October 2012 04:20 PM

4/3rd's body, E-620 size, OMD sensor 450 ....................... Oh and Euromillions jackpot tonight. Got a feeling more chance of the Euromillions jackpot......*crazy*crazy*crazy

Zuiko 16th October 2012 04:24 PM

None of these options are for me, my future lays with the OM-D and native MFT lenses.

However, I would guess that Four Thirds lens users will be split between those who would like an E-5 sized body and those with a preference for something more like the E-620.

Many would probably prefer to use their lenses without an adapter (obviously forgoing the option to also use MFT lenses) but others would like the opportunity to use both. Most would probably prefer sensor based PDAF, especially those who would prefer not to need an adapter for their lenses anyway.

Olympus are never going to completely please everyone on this issue, but I suspect most will be willing to accept a compromise on their preferred option provided Four Thirds lenses focus as well as they currently do on the E-5, both for S-AF and C-AF. And that they get the new Sony sensor, or better, of course.

Ian 16th October 2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveart (Post 193599)
E510 sized body that will focus well with 4/3rds body, mirrorless or not that has em5 sensor pref mirrorless as third party lens manufactures are producing lenses for m4/3rds over 4/3rds. With cannon type focusing that appears to work in mirrorless type bodies so able to use full 4/3rds lens via an adapter.

Not sure that the sony approach with silvered adapter really works, for our sized sensors, don't think it works reliably in the Sony camera either.

Dave

Really? I've used the SLT adapter for the Sony NEX cameras and it worked very well. I've also used a couple of Sony's Alpha SLT cameras and again the AF worked very well.

Ian

Ian 16th October 2012 04:37 PM

I personally can't see a mirrorless body being Four Thirds-only. But I do feel that an adapter in the form that it is with the MMF range of adapters is not the way to go either. I would prefer to see a modular style body that transforms from being a Micro Four Thirds body into a Four Thirds one, perhaps by the attachment of a beefier grip and integrated Four Thirds lens mount.

Ian

Zuiko 16th October 2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 193613)
I personally can't see a mirrorless body being Four Thirds-only. But I do feel that an adapter in the form that it is with the MMF range of adapters is not the way to go either. I would prefer to see a modular style body that transforms from being a Micro Four Thirds body into a Four Thirds one, perhaps by the attachment of a beefier grip and integrated Four Thirds lens mount.

Ian

That could be the best of both worlds, akin to eating your cake and having it, but is it too much to hope for?

Who's_E 16th October 2012 07:38 PM

I want to be able to use my ex*-SWD lenses on a body with a 4/3rds sensor, Olympus JPEG processing and a modern sensor.

Of your options, 1 seems the most plausible, 2 is strategically impossible, 3 sounds complicated and not as good as 1.

I like the sound of the semi-silvered mirror option, although I am concerned whether it would fit in the space allowed for the adaptor. Also, having been partly bought by Sony, the technology is there.

Size-wise, the 50-200 determines the comfort for me so it would need to be E3/E5 sized. Modular could be good.

So why bother with a m4/3 if I have just described an E3 with a OMD sensor? Marketability, flexibility and a future: The new camera(s) would have a market for each aspect, be as fast as the E3 and OMD in each focus operation.

Not fussed by features - maybe a focus mode button on the body (After several years of asking).

Nick

*ex = excellent, existing, expensive, extrusion on the end (lens hood)

dbutch 16th October 2012 07:46 PM

Picked up my old E1 the other day it still feels right so around that size - bit smaller than E5
not sure the sony approach is right although its got history with E10/20
Worth noting that sony have recently shown on chip phase detection

i think i have suggested something similar to Ians modular suggestion and believe it is a sensible method and goes along with the OMD style modular grip

one thing it will need is decent power so bigger batteries please

Dave

IainMacD 16th October 2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barr1e (Post 193584)
E-5 body size without having to use adapters ie current 4/3rds lenses.

Regards. Barr1e

That would do for me

DerekC 16th October 2012 09:49 PM

I would like to see a body the size of E-3/E-5 as I use my 90-250 the most and the balance is good with E-3 & E-5 fitted.
Not bothered about mft as it doesn't fit my current requirements in camera.

New sensor with better high ISO performance, higher frame rate.
The main thing is that is up to date and works well with SHG lens.