Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Cremation Integration (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50657)

pandora 27th May 2019 10:13 PM

Cremation Integration

Well it all works together you see; he picks up the body in his taxi,
conducts the service, cremates the body with bottled gas, and
flogs John Doe's goods & chattels in his bric-a-brac shop! :D

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P2230700_2_.jpg
IT'S ALL VERY CLEAR … *yes

And whilst on the subject of "toddling off", I mean dying, so let me call it for what it is without euphemism. I visited my late wife Janette's grave yesterday to
plant daffodils and Jonquils on her garden; a bitterly cold day. Eldorado cemetery lies 27km east of town, and before she died I bought two plots, one for myself also.
I have never feared dying as such, if not the sometimes ghastly means that may precede it. Generally speaking it's a natural event like birth which is cause for celebration
although not always without trauma. Anyway, before this turns into a sermon and on a lighter note, I thought I would share with you this fisheye with both feet in my own grave!

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5260060x.jpg

MJ224 28th May 2019 07:11 AM

Re: Cremation Integration

Very poignant Mark Thanks for sharing the moment and the photo...*chr...……

Cold here as well alas...………....

OM USer 28th May 2019 11:29 AM

Well said.

pandora 28th May 2019 04:25 PM

Mark, OM, and all the Likes - I was hardly expecting this thread to be over-subscribed; conversations about mortality is a topic that we tend to avoid, yet I see no reason why it should be. Except in the case of accidental or violent death (upon which humans will talk incessantly) it's a natural event like birth that we celebrate. No one is getting any younger. I see our life as a journey through a period of awareness lasting "three score years and ten", or whatever until transition into another time and place. So perhaps on a brighter note I'll conclude this uneasy monologue with some time honoured good advice from Corinthians, "Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die!", hey, isn't that what Wakes are all about … :D Cheers ! ! ! *burger *chr *burger *chr .

Naughty Nigel 28th May 2019 08:30 PM

Or, to quote Matthew 6.27: "Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" :)

pandora 28th May 2019 09:21 PM

Mathew had a good point there, Nige' *yes

blu-by-u 29th May 2019 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 481687)

You don't need to show that's your spot you are standing on.:eek:

Naughty Nigel 29th May 2019 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blu-by-u (Post 481746)
You don't need to show that's your spot you are standing on.:eek:

The dangers of fisheye lenses. *yes

blu-by-u 29th May 2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 481751)
The dangers of fisheye lenses. *yes

Tell me about it.. My finger was in the Laowa wide 7.5mm :(

Naughty Nigel 29th May 2019 10:21 AM

Continuing Mark's original theme, there is a crematorium in the midlands where 'waste heat' is used to heat the water in the adjoining municipal swimming pool.

A lot of people expressed concerns about this, although it was pointed out that spending more time in the pool would delay your contribution to heating it. *yes

Jax 29th May 2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 481771)
Continuing Mark's original theme, there is a crematorium in the midlands where 'waste heat' is used to heat the water in the adjoining municipal swimming pool.

A lot of people expressed concerns about this, although it was pointed out that spending more time in the pool would delay your contribution to heating it. *yes

Possibly a variation on the concept of Soular Heating :D

Jax

Naughty Nigel 29th May 2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax (Post 481774)
Possibly a variation on the concept of Soular Heating :D

Jax

No tombstoning allowed in the pool though. :D

Naughty Nigel 29th May 2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 481734)
Mark, OM, and all the Likes - I was hardly expecting this thread to be over-subscribed; conversations about mortality is a topic that we tend to avoid, yet I see no reason why it should be. Except in the case of accidental or violent death (upon which humans will talk incessantly) it's a natural event like birth that we celebrate. No one is getting any younger. I see our life as a journey through a period of awareness lasting "three score years and ten", or whatever until transition into another time and place. So perhaps on a brighter note I'll conclude this uneasy monologue with some time honoured good advice from Corinthians, "Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die!", hey, isn't that what Wakes are all about … :D Cheers ! ! ! *burger *chr *burger *chr .

Well, our son 'works in the business' as it were, and tells some interesting tales about some of their customers' final moments here on earth. As they say, what a way to go! :D

pandora 29th May 2019 03:06 PM

Personally, my instructions to my kids is that I am to be buried, not cremated (that may follow) hence the 'unscripted' memorial - In this regard I am open to suggestions - "I told you I was sick" is a good one but it's already been used.

Have you heard about the new eco friendly Green cremation is a gentle, eco-friendly alternative to flame-based cremation or casket burials. It is a quiet process that uses water and potassium hydroxide to reduce the body to its basic element of bone ash. The ashes are then returned to the family.

Also, an interesting broadcast on ABC Radio National presented by Robyn Williams on Natural Burial:
"Cremation in a coffin produces 160Kg of carbon dioxide. An alternative is cardboard coffins and biodegradable shrouds. Some are suggesting the establishment of burial grounds in forests, so that decomposing bodies eventually become sequestered into the wood of trees, rather than becoming gaseous carbon dioxide, adding to an already overloaded atmosphere."

Jax 29th May 2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 481790)
Green cremation is a gentle, eco-friendly alternative to flame-based crematdecomposing bodies eventually become sequestered into the wood of trees, rather than becoming gaseous carbon dioxide, adding to an already overloaded atmosphere."

Mighty oaks from little acorns grow, or possibly....... from little Aussie Journalists :D

Jax

pandora 29th May 2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax (Post 481795)
Mighty oaks from little acorns grow, or possibly....... from little Aussie Journalists :D Jax

Perhaps it's time we dissolved this thread … :D

pandora 29th May 2019 04:08 PM

…………. Poof! …………...

Jim Ford 31st May 2019 08:51 AM

It was interesting that Doris Day said that she didn't want a funeral, grave or any sort of memorial.

Jim

Naughty Nigel 31st May 2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 481876)
It was interesting that Doris Day said that she didn't want a funeral, grave or any sort of memorial.

Jim

I understand from our son that this is not uncommon. Every week they have several 'straight to the crem' funerals where these is no ceremony whatsoever.

I gather the deceased is usually taken to the crematorium first thing in the morning so they can be 'done' before crematorium services start at 10.00 O'clock.

Given the problems that funerals seem to cause in some families I wonder whether this might be a motivation?

DerekW 31st May 2019 07:54 PM

Direct Cremation is a good cheap option

pandora 31st May 2019 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 481876)
It was interesting that Doris Day said that she didn't want a funeral, grave or any sort of memorial. Jim
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 481877)
I understand from our son that this is not uncommon. Every week they have several 'straight to the crem' funerals where these is no ceremony whatsoever. I gather the deceased is usually taken to the crematorium first thing in the morning so they can be 'done' before crematorium services start at 10.00 O'clock.

Given the problems that funerals seem to cause in some families I wonder whether this might be a motivation?

It is a sad commentary on human nature that a death in the family invariably results in a family feud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekW (Post 481894)
Direct Cremation is a good cheap option

It is no cheaper here than a budget burial.

Jim Ford 2nd June 2019 09:46 AM

Cheapest is a 'sky burial' in your back garden, though I don't think that the neighbours would be pleased! ;)

I believe that there's nothing against the law in burying someone in your back garden, though it can create problems when subsequently selling the house.

Jim

Naughty Nigel 2nd June 2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 481992)
Cheapest is a 'sky burial' in your back garden, though I don't think that the neighbours would be pleased! ;)

I believe that there's nothing against the law in burying someone in your back garden, though it can create problems when subsequently selling the house.

Jim

Mandy Jordash buried her husband under the patio if I remember correctly. ;)

I believe you can bury the deceased in your own garden, and many big country households used to do just that, but I think there may be restrictions if water supplies might be affected.

TimP 2nd June 2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 481918)
It is a sad commentary on human nature that a death in the family invariably results in a family feud.

Such things invariably happen long before death, particularly if there are children of the elderly person. A friend (one of three sisters) is currently having a terrible time with their mother who has dementia. My wife who was an elderly care nurse but is now involved in dementia diagnosis sees it all the time too. Families literally broken apart by offspring all wanting different things for their loved ones.

Beagletorque 2nd June 2019 02:43 PM

Too soon, stick around a bit longer my son.

Naughty Nigel 2nd June 2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 482010)
My wife who was an elderly care nurse but is now involved in dementia diagnosis sees it all the time too. Families literally broken apart by offspring all wanting different things for their loved ones.

For and from, in my experience. :(

A friend who is organist at a large country church in the wilds of Co Durham tells us that funerals of farming families often descend into brawls if land, livestock and farm machinery isn't left to the right sons or daughters.

To be fair, I don't think this is anything new, except that by tradition the families used to wait until they got to the wake or the pub before brawling. Maybe the TV soaps give them the wrong idea? :rolleyes:

pandora 2nd June 2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 481992)
I believe that there's nothing against the law in burying someone in your back garden, though it can create problems when subsequently selling the house. Jim

Yes indeed, I can see how easily it could become a bone of contention.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 482010)
Such things invariably happen long before death, particularly if there are children of the elderly person. A friend (one of three sisters) is currently having a terrible time with their mother who has dementia. My wife who was an elderly care nurse but is now involved in dementia diagnosis sees it all the time too. Families literally broken apart by offspring all wanting different things for their loved ones.

Tim, that precisely was the case when my wife died with dementia. We have four children, three of them ganged up on me over burial rights and other matters. My eldest stood by me and our wishes prevailed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagletorque (Post 482023)
Too soon, stick around a bit longer my son.

Aww gee Beag', I didn't know you cared … *sob

Jim Ford 3rd June 2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 482005)
I believe you can bury the deceased in your own garden, and many big country households used to do just that, but I think there may be restrictions if water supplies might be affected.

There's a grave protected by railings by the river Chess between Chenies and Latimer. It was in the grounds of a big mansion owned by the Liberty family, but the house is long gone. The story is that the owner wanted to be buried near the house, so he would know where to come for his bones, come the resurrection. It'll be confusing for the bones' owner now the landmark has gone!

https://www.chenies.org/liberty-tomb

Jim

pandora 3rd June 2019 11:50 AM

Boneapart's retreat comes to mind.

It's okay, I'm leaving! :D

DerekW 3rd June 2019 07:56 PM

The proximity to the house story reminds me of Stanley Spencer's painting of the Resurrection at Cookham
see
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/images/w.../N04239_10.jpg

Copyright the Tate

pandora 3rd June 2019 08:51 PM

I have no wish to be resurrected; preferably reincarnated as someone tall, blonde, handsome and smart to someplace other than a dying planet!
Hey, that description could be either Boris or Donald! (preferable to being a mere pleb though, eh! *yes )

Stanley's "Resurrection" to me looks more like a crypt full of embalmed corpses, hideous in depiction. Very well done nonetheless.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Untitled-143.jpg

Jim Ford 4th June 2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 482102)
I have no wish to be resurrected; preferably reincarnated as someone tall, blonde,

and female? ;)

Quote:

Stanley's "Resurrection" to me looks more like a crypt full of embalmed corpses, hideous in depiction. Very well done nonetheless.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Untitled-143.jpg
IIRC Stanley Spencer's painting is in the Sandham Memorial Chapel near Newbury. I went some years ago.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/san...emorial-chapel

Correction: The painting show is at Cookham, but there is a Resurrection of the Soldiers at Sandham.

Jim

pandora 4th June 2019 09:33 AM

Jim, please note: Blonde is the male form of the female Blond, right? No way am I reincarnating into a female to become a mere object of male sexual fantasies, harrassment and gender discrimination! *smash

TimP 4th June 2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 482130)
Jim, please note: Blonde is the male form of the female Blond, right? No way am I reincarnating into a female to become a mere object of male sexual fantasies and gender discrimination! ��

But who’s to blame for that? Surely best to come back as a hot blond(e) woman and try to fight it from the inside?

pandora 4th June 2019 09:46 AM

Best leave that to the Me Too ladies and when they've won, I'll come back and enjoy the benefits - golf with the girls twice a week, cheat on the hubby, spend all his money while he keeps house, cooks meals and looks after the kids! *chr

Jim Ford 4th June 2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 482131)
But who’s to blame for that? Surely best to come back as a hot blond(e) woman and try to fight it from the inside?

Besides, you might like being a 'Sheila'. *yes

Jim

TimP 4th June 2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 482137)
Besides, you might like being a 'Sheila'. *yes

Jim

Perfectly happy being a ‘Bruce’ !

pandora 4th June 2019 10:42 AM

Yes, Bruce the Brute, drunk every Friday night and beats the wife because your tea got cold ... owa, I know your type, bum! *moon

DerekW 4th June 2019 10:45 AM

The Resurection at Cookham painting is on show at the Tate Britain in London.

Jim Ford 4th June 2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 482138)
Perfectly happy being a ‘Bruce’ !

I don't know how true it is, but I understand that orthodox Jews wake up in the morning and thank God that they weren't born a woman! :eek:

Jim