Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Cremation Integration (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50657)

pandora 29th May 2019 04:01 PM

Re: Cremation Integration

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax (Post 481795)
Mighty oaks from little acorns grow, or possibly....... from little Aussie Journalists :D Jax

Perhaps it's time we dissolved this thread … :D

pandora 29th May 2019 04:08 PM

. Poof! ...

Jim Ford 31st May 2019 08:51 AM

It was interesting that Doris Day said that she didn't want a funeral, grave or any sort of memorial.

Jim

Naughty Nigel 31st May 2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 481876)
It was interesting that Doris Day said that she didn't want a funeral, grave or any sort of memorial.

Jim

I understand from our son that this is not uncommon. Every week they have several 'straight to the crem' funerals where these is no ceremony whatsoever.

I gather the deceased is usually taken to the crematorium first thing in the morning so they can be 'done' before crematorium services start at 10.00 O'clock.

Given the problems that funerals seem to cause in some families I wonder whether this might be a motivation?

DerekW 31st May 2019 07:54 PM

Direct Cremation is a good cheap option

pandora 31st May 2019 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 481876)
It was interesting that Doris Day said that she didn't want a funeral, grave or any sort of memorial. Jim
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 481877)
I understand from our son that this is not uncommon. Every week they have several 'straight to the crem' funerals where these is no ceremony whatsoever. I gather the deceased is usually taken to the crematorium first thing in the morning so they can be 'done' before crematorium services start at 10.00 O'clock.

Given the problems that funerals seem to cause in some families I wonder whether this might be a motivation?

It is a sad commentary on human nature that a death in the family invariably results in a family feud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekW (Post 481894)
Direct Cremation is a good cheap option

It is no cheaper here than a budget burial.

Jim Ford 2nd June 2019 09:46 AM

Cheapest is a 'sky burial' in your back garden, though I don't think that the neighbours would be pleased! ;)

I believe that there's nothing against the law in burying someone in your back garden, though it can create problems when subsequently selling the house.

Jim

Naughty Nigel 2nd June 2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 481992)
Cheapest is a 'sky burial' in your back garden, though I don't think that the neighbours would be pleased! ;)

I believe that there's nothing against the law in burying someone in your back garden, though it can create problems when subsequently selling the house.

Jim

Mandy Jordash buried her husband under the patio if I remember correctly. ;)

I believe you can bury the deceased in your own garden, and many big country households used to do just that, but I think there may be restrictions if water supplies might be affected.

TimP 2nd June 2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 481918)
It is a sad commentary on human nature that a death in the family invariably results in a family feud.

Such things invariably happen long before death, particularly if there are children of the elderly person. A friend (one of three sisters) is currently having a terrible time with their mother who has dementia. My wife who was an elderly care nurse but is now involved in dementia diagnosis sees it all the time too. Families literally broken apart by offspring all wanting different things for their loved ones.

Beagletorque 2nd June 2019 02:43 PM

Too soon, stick around a bit longer my son.

Naughty Nigel 2nd June 2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 482010)
My wife who was an elderly care nurse but is now involved in dementia diagnosis sees it all the time too. Families literally broken apart by offspring all wanting different things for their loved ones.

For and from, in my experience. :(

A friend who is organist at a large country church in the wilds of Co Durham tells us that funerals of farming families often descend into brawls if land, livestock and farm machinery isn't left to the right sons or daughters.

To be fair, I don't think this is anything new, except that by tradition the families used to wait until they got to the wake or the pub before brawling. Maybe the TV soaps give them the wrong idea? :rolleyes:

pandora 2nd June 2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 481992)
I believe that there's nothing against the law in burying someone in your back garden, though it can create problems when subsequently selling the house. Jim

Yes indeed, I can see how easily it could become a bone of contention.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 482010)
Such things invariably happen long before death, particularly if there are children of the elderly person. A friend (one of three sisters) is currently having a terrible time with their mother who has dementia. My wife who was an elderly care nurse but is now involved in dementia diagnosis sees it all the time too. Families literally broken apart by offspring all wanting different things for their loved ones.

Tim, that precisely was the case when my wife died with dementia. We have four children, three of them ganged up on me over burial rights and other matters. My eldest stood by me and our wishes prevailed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagletorque (Post 482023)
Too soon, stick around a bit longer my son.

Aww gee Beag', I didn't know you cared *sob

Jim Ford 3rd June 2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 482005)
I believe you can bury the deceased in your own garden, and many big country households used to do just that, but I think there may be restrictions if water supplies might be affected.

There's a grave protected by railings by the river Chess between Chenies and Latimer. It was in the grounds of a big mansion owned by the Liberty family, but the house is long gone. The story is that the owner wanted to be buried near the house, so he would know where to come for his bones, come the resurrection. It'll be confusing for the bones' owner now the landmark has gone!

https://www.chenies.org/liberty-tomb

Jim

pandora 3rd June 2019 11:50 AM

Boneapart's retreat comes to mind.

It's okay, I'm leaving! :D

DerekW 3rd June 2019 07:56 PM

The proximity to the house story reminds me of Stanley Spencer's painting of the Resurrection at Cookham
see
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/images/w.../N04239_10.jpg

Copyright the Tate