Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Foto Fair (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Was this worth being bitten by a dog? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=958)

Barr1e 19th February 2008 06:54 PM

Was this worth being bitten by a dog?

On our walk through the countryside today for lunch (and a couple of pints from an independent brewer) Anne and I crossed this field and another before using further bridleways that cross a couple of farmers' fields.

As we rose up a hillside on one of them the lady of the farm appeared with the sheep dog (collie) which shot straight for us and kept us at bay for at least two minutes if not three before she decided to attempt unsuccessfully to call it off - with no authority in her voice.

When she was close up she said walk on and the dog would not hurt us. Half a pace from Anne and the dog bit her in the thigh. No apology from the lady as she said to the dog 'down the hill with you'.

Mmm.

I call this the tree sentry.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/5...-Sentry-eg.jpg

Regards. Barr1e

j.baker 19th February 2008 07:24 PM

Re: Was this worth being bitten by a dog?

I like the picture. I think it need slightly more saturation to make it bolder.

Did you take a photo of the dog and its owner. If so maybe we could have a caption competition.

BTW, you are not completely level. You are 2-3 pixels higher on the right. :D

How did you get it that level?

andym 19th February 2008 07:33 PM

Lovely image Barrie.
As for the dog I like all animals but get very annoyed when people take dogs out that are not under control,just the other day I was out walking with my wife when a dog jumped up at at leaving us both muddy and with not even a word from the owner.Needless to say I made my feeling felt.

Hope the bite was not bad

Nick Temple-Fry 19th February 2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.baker (Post 8139)

Did you take a photo of the dog and its owner. If so maybe we could have a caption competition.

My impression is that Barr1e is very level headed!.

Nice shot, could well be a good candidate for b/w. Simple shapes and lines and a nice strong feature.

Nick

Barr1e 19th February 2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.baker (Post 8139)

Unfortunately I don't like dogs that much after being bitten in my youth (mind it stopped my stuttering) so to try and slide my Slingshot 200 round to get the camera and present it in the face of the owner - I might well have been bitten myself.

As for the level - gosh, I must be improving. I did use some saturation but backed off some due to the earth in the foreground looking too ruddy brown/red.

Thanks John B

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e 19th February 2008 07:51 PM

andym -

Thanks.

I've just had another peep at the bite - single puncture, bruised and swollen. :(

Nick -

Level headed - not when I'm carrying all the camera gear lol. :D
Thanks for your kind comments too.

Regards. Barr1e

j.baker 19th February 2008 08:01 PM

I hope you wife does not suffer too much becuase of the owner and its dog.

I guess that you are doing the washing up for a few days :p

I am a cat person, where as my wife is a dog and cat person. We only have cats.

Garrie 19th February 2008 08:02 PM

Hey Barr1e,

Hope Anne is okay? Thats shocking the attitude of the dogs owner, makes me :mad:.

Love the shot, works well. Just thinking about the comment about using more saturation, I think its spot on however I wondering if a circ-pol filter would have deepened the sky a little more?

All the best
Garrie

sanke 19th February 2008 08:11 PM

Love the shot Barrie hope the wifes better soon.
Get a shot at the dog next time OOP's I mean of the dog.

angelpaaul 19th February 2008 08:52 PM

Hang on, I've just seen this on another forum!:confused: Oh, never mind, I still like it.

Regards - Paul

PeterD 20th February 2008 12:45 AM

Like the pic Barrie. Just got in and thought I had better check first if anyone had made a reference to my best friend. Sorry to hear of the bite. If there is a puncture resulting from the bite, be careful and keep an eye on it. It could become infected.
Its careless of the owner to let the dog off the lead if she could not control the dog, ignorant for not checking the damage and at least apologising and irresponsible for not immediately putting the dog on the lead immediately following the incident. Putting the lead on would tranmit the disapproval to the dog. Leaving it free means the lesson is not learnt.
I let my dog off the lead because I am 100% sure this sort of thing would never happen. He remains under control and listens to instructions. Despite this, the size of him makes some people nervous and I put him on the lead in these circumstances.

Kind regards

PeterD

Jim Ford 20th February 2008 11:32 AM

Sorry to hear about the bite, and hope Anne's OK.

You really should have taken the women's details and told her you would be reporting the incident to the police. Anne should also have gone to the hospital for an anti tetanus injection. An out of control dog like that needs attention - the next time it could be a child getting seriously attacked.

I usually carry a carbon fibre trekking pole when walking. If I'm ever attacked by a dog I wouldn't hesitate to thread it on the pole, from its oesaphagus to its rectum!

Jim

Scapula Memory 20th February 2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 8210)

I usually carry a carbon fibre trekking pole when walking. If I'm ever attacked by a dog I wouldn't hesitate to thread it on the pole, from its oesaphagus to its rectum!

Jim

We have something in common Jim...;)

j.baker 20th February 2008 06:17 PM

I'm big, bad and ugly enough to cause most animals not to attack. Most are scared on me.....and rightly so. (not that I try to harm animals). Odly most children like me :(

Ellie 22nd February 2008 03:07 PM

I don't think anything is worth being bitten by a dog, even though it is a lovely scene and somehow makes me think if Ley Lines.

I do hope Anne's OK and that the wound is healing cleanly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 8210)
You really should have taken the women's details and told her you would be reporting the incident to the police. Anne should also have gone to the hospital for an anti tetanus injection. An out of control dog like that needs attention - the next time it could be a child getting seriously attacked.

Especially as the dog owner is the owner of the land across which there's a public footpath, and is clearly unable to control the dog.

I was once bitten in similar circumstances, didn't report if because I didn't want to make a fuss, but always regret not doing so. I couldn't walk for nearly a week because of the puncture wounds - through thick denim. I've often wondered how bad it might have been had I been wearing shorts. I wouldn't hesitate to use monopod or tripod to keep an errant dog at bay.