Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Site news (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Post editor bug and missing Smileys (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45717)

Ian 27th July 2017 11:38 AM

Post editor bug and missing Smileys

It looks like the recent maintenance update we did on the forum introduced a bug which means the WYSIWYG function of the text editor you use to create posts - is disabled in certain browsers.

People affected can't see inserted Smileys or Emoticons, only the text mnemonic that represent them. You can't preview other effects and see photos in the edit box either.

There are some workarounds:

1. Use Firefox (which is a really good browser with lots add-ons available) or Internet Explorer 11 (probably not a good idea as it's not really supported any more since Microsoft introduced its Edge browser with Windows 10.

2. To check how your post will look use the PREVIEW option.

3. If you are really keen, there are comprehensive BBCode external editors you use outside of the forum.

I'm hoping that when we soon upgrade to version 4 of the forum software that this bug will be fixed.

Sorry for any inconvenience in the meantime!

Ian

blu-by-u 28th July 2017 08:53 AM

Re: Post editor bug and missing Smileys

:eek: Ok in Google Chrome :o ;)

Ian 28th July 2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blu-by-u (Post 422905)
:eek: Ok in Google Chrome :o ;)

Really?! Not at my end! :confused:

All the Smileys (Smilies?) work after posting your message or when previewing, but the WYSIWYG in the editor itself looks broken in some browsers. This is something I never noticed as it works fine in my browser of choice which is Firefox.

It's widely reported that Chrome is one of the browsers that doesn't work with the editor on vBulletin 3 - in fact for quite a while. The move to vBulletin 4 should fix this.

Can you toggle between text and WYSIWYG using the AA button, or is that button not visible - very curious to know :)

Ian

Walti 28th July 2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 422803)
It looks like the recent maintenance update we did on the forum introduced a bug which means the WYSIWYG function of the text editor you use to create posts - is disabled in certain browsers.

People affected can't see inserted Smileys or Emoticons, only the text mnemonic that represent them. You can't preview other effects and see photos in the edit box either.

There are some workarounds:

1. Use Firefox (which is a really good browser with lots add-ons available) or Internet Explorer 11 (probably not a good idea as it's not really supported any more since Microsoft introduced its Edge browser with Windows 10.

2. To check how your post will look use the PREVIEW option.

3. If you are really keen, there are comprehensive BBCode external editors you use outside of the forum.

I'm hoping that when we soon upgrade to version 4 of the forum software that this bug will be fixed.

Sorry for any inconvenience in the meantime!

Ian

It's never worked in MAC Safari for me, you only ever see the text mnemonic in the post composition box, and the actual smileys if you preview...

So no real change there!

*zzz:confused::mad::)*chr*yes*chty

Ian 28th July 2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walti (Post 422915)
It's never worked in MAC Safari for me, you only ever see the text mnemonic in the post composition box, and the actual smileys if you preview...

So no real change there!

*zzz:confused::mad::)*chr*yes*chty

Yes - it has changed for some but as you say, for many the problem has been around for a long time.

Ian

PeterBirder 28th July 2017 01:36 PM

Well you learn something new every day.:)

I have always used Firefox but since joining in 2009 have never had WYSIWYG in the editor, had no idea what the "AA" button ( the one at the top RH corner) was for.:o

I now have a whole new "richer viewing experience".:D

Regards.*chr

Ross the fiddler 28th July 2017 02:03 PM

When using my iPad (as I am now) with Google Chrome browser I can get the smilies directly from the right. *yes
But the others [More] are more of a challenge. *shrug well, at least they were! :rolleyes:
Actually, it just worked fine (from the newly created tab). :rolleyes: :tup *clap

*chr

Ross the fiddler 28th July 2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnheatingman (Post 422949)
If any other "Firefox" or Internet "Explorer Browser" users dont get the same enhanced facility on the Message Box, try this:

Go to: User Control Panel

Select: Edit Options

Scroll to the bottom: ( last option ) Miscellaneous Options

Make sure Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing is selected from the drop down box

John

Thanks. Just done that now. I learn something new sometimes too. :o *yes

*chr

EDIT: This is using safari & I only see the characters, not the smilie in the advanced edit box. :eek: *shrug

Ian 28th July 2017 02:23 PM

John's suggestion basically makes the advanced edit mode the default but won't fix the missing WYSIWYG toggle if it is missing.

Ian

Ross the fiddler 28th July 2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 422954)
John's suggestion basically makes the advanced edit mode the default but won't fix the missing WYSIWYG toggle if it is missing.

Ian

At least that is useful normally anyhow, so now that suits me. Safari is mostly a pain for me & I prefer chrome for most browsing (iPad & pc).

Ian 28th July 2017 04:08 PM

The default everyone gets is the simple (compact) text editor. The text-only one will only have been present if you specifically changed your settings to use it.

Ian

David M 28th July 2017 09:21 PM

Two decades and things haven't got much better. No two browsers display a page the same.

I remember having three versions of Internet Exploder installed in the late '90s or early '00s because each version displayed a page differently. Add in various versions of other browsers and you had to check your markup in eight or nine different ones to make sure everything worked.

drmarkf 30th July 2017 07:20 PM

>> Internet Exploder <<

:D

David M 30th July 2017 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarkf (Post 423203)
>> Internet Exploder <<

:D

That was commonly used by anyone doing web design in the late '90s early '00s. Every time a new version came out it would display pages differently than the previous version. I got so sick of it I put a notice on my personal sites saying everything worked with Netscape Navigator (remember that?) but I couldn't guarantee everything working with all versions of Exploder.

blu-by-u 2nd August 2017 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 422907)
Really?! Not at my end! :confused:

All the Smileys (Smilies?) work after posting your message or when previewing, but the WYSIWYG in the editor itself looks broken in some browsers. This is something I never noticed as it works fine in my browser of choice which is Firefox.

It's widely reported that Chrome is one of the browsers that doesn't work with the editor on vBulletin 3 - in fact for quite a while. The move to vBulletin 4 should fix this.

Can you toggle between text and WYSIWYG using the AA button, or is that button not visible - very curious to know :)

Ian

*hthrob1*owl*smash The more Smilies works.

Is there a WYSIWYG?? I only Preview Post which is at the bottom next to the Submit reply button