Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Looking for improvement (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17665)

stevednp3 7th November 2011 01:17 PM

Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
Unless Ive missed them I havent seen many firework photos posted this year :confused: so thought I'd upload a shot I took on Saturday at Caerphilly Castle.

This was quite a big turn out with over 25,000 people there and finding a good spot to setup was a bit limited, luckly I saw another tog there I knew and managed to share a good angle to take some shots :D

This is my favourite, would love to know what you think and what could have been done to improve.

Taken on e5 & 12-60mm *chr

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/SD148264.jpg

benvendetta 7th November 2011 01:22 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
Yes you had a great location what with the shape of the castle prominant and the super reflections. I haven't bothered with this sort of photography for years (last time was pre-digital) but given a great iconic location such as Caerphilly Castle you have shown that something above the norm is possible. Well done Steve.

stevednp3 7th November 2011 01:33 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by benvendetta (Post 140035)
Yes you had a great location what with the shape of the castle prominant and the super reflections. I haven't bothered with this sort of photography for years (last time was pre-digital) but given a great iconic location such as Caerphilly Castle you have shown that something above the norm is possible. Well done Steve.

Thanks Dave, I know what you mean and I too havent bothered for a while as firework photos can usually end up all looking the same, but im glad I went here, as it was an excellent show (plus it was FREE :D)

Chevvyf1 7th November 2011 02:13 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
Stunning shot ! as I scrolled down it just got better AND BETTER ! *chr

stevednp3 7th November 2011 03:04 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 (Post 140043)
Stunning shot ! as I scrolled down it just got better AND BETTER ! *chr

awwww thank you :D :D

Swordfish 7th November 2011 03:05 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
Really nice shot.

Looks like a great location and you got yourself in a good position.

Martin

stevednp3 7th November 2011 03:06 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish (Post 140048)
Really nice shot.

Looks like a great location and you got yourself in a good position.

Martin

Thank you very much *chr

catkins 7th November 2011 04:17 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevednp3 (Post 140033)

This is my favourite, would love to know what you think and what could have been done to improve.
Taken on e5 & 12-60mm *chr

Lovely shot and would second most of the previous comments. The colours and sharpness of the main fireworks are spot on.

Re improvements . . . . the reflection could have worked better if there had been more reflecting in the pool, but as the fireworks that are reflected are fairly minimal in impact, I might had done two or three things (with the proviso that, as usual, it's a hell of a lot easy to critique than to do, and that this is being really picky but at least it responds to your query :o ) -
  • with the image as is, I might explore lightening up the castle a little and if possible to make it more key to the image
  • if possible with your location and the lens, gone for an even wider view and got the better part of the reflecting fireworks
  • or with the image as is, tightened up the view and cropped out the pool and possibly some of the left hand firework as I feel the dark strip with little lights jars a little due to its division of the overall image. The benefit of this is that the castle and the fireworks become more central and it would show up the castle more with its amazing mass of fireworks directly above.

Regards
Chris

crimbo 7th November 2011 04:23 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
agree with Chris...the image holds together better with the reflections cropped out

stevednp3 7th November 2011 04:24 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by catkins (Post 140055)
Lovely shot and would second most of the previous comments. The colours and sharpness of the main fireworks are spot on.

Re improvements . . . . the reflection could have worked better if there had been more reflecting in the pool, but as the fireworks that are reflected are fairly minimal in impact, I might had done two or three things (with the proviso that, as usual, it's a hell of a lot easy to critique than to do, and that this is being really picky but at least it responds to your query :o ) -
  • with the image as is, I might explore lightening up the castle a little and if possible to make it more key to the image
  • if possible with your location and the lens, gone for an even wider view and got the better part of the reflecting fireworks
  • or with the image as is, tightened up the view and cropped out the pool and possibly some of the left hand firework as I feel the dark strip with little lights jars a little due to its division of the overall image. The benefit of this is that the castle and the fireworks become more central and it would show up the castle more with its amazing mass of fireworks directly above.

Regards
Chris

Thanks for your comments Chris. Yes I would have liked more reflecting in the pool, but position was a hard thing with the amount of people or getting bushes and trees in my view :(

but thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a little play with processing as this is pretty much straight out camera, just a basic RAW file import and export.

rsh1960 7th November 2011 05:13 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
Nice shot with a lovely background.

benvendetta 7th November 2011 05:29 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
It is unusual to see fireworks reflecting in water and I think this lifts the image onto another plain.
I say keep them in Steve.
Crackin'

stevednp3 7th November 2011 06:05 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
Thanks rsh and Dave *chr

I seam to have mixed reactions online and offline with this photo, some prefer the reflections and some prefer them cropped out, for myself I like them in as its what I intended to do but interesting to hear how others see it *yes

catkins 7th November 2011 06:43 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevednp3 (Post 140068)
Thanks rsh and Dave *chr

I seam to have mixed reactions online and offline with this photo, some prefer the reflections and some prefer them cropped out, for myself I like them in as its what I intended to do but interesting to hear how others see it *yes

I think that it's possibly due not to whether the viewers are keen or not on the reflection but more perhaps due to the thick black line that crosses the image as a result of the high 'causeway' that crosses the pools to the castle. Perhaps as an interesting 'cheat', I'll have a play and remove the majority of the depth of the black line to just have a narrow line with the lights on with the reflection as is below, and then guage people's reactions - I would tend to bet that most 'objectors' would probably then be quite happy with the image?
The quality of the image is unquestionable but sometimes nature conspires to put little features into our views that the artist's mind would perhaps accidentally forget to put into a painting!!

Regards
Chris

catkins 7th November 2011 06:56 PM

Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks
 
Following my comment above, here's the 'dishonest' approach or perhaps what I might call the artist's approach to your image.
I've cut out the bulk of the deep black slash of the causeway and then cropped the resulting image to remove some of the dark area on the left hand side (possibly taken off too much but I'm just using this edit by way of illustrating points previously made).
Now whether morally it is right to remove the causeway is up to the individual but hopefully this may help illustrate what I feel is the key about some of the points mentioned, and now hopefully most people will enjoy the reflection being a part of the overall image.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/5...-editedcma.jpg

Regards
Chris


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:51 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger