Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   General accessories (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Macbook Air (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50525)

sapper 9th May 2019 04:33 PM

Macbook Air
 
I have a macbook air, which is fine, but does not have a lot of memory, so I use an external SSD when on hols to store my images. I keep getting message, 'your start up disc is low on space, please delete some files". Not exact but you get the point. I have removed PS 5 and other aps but wondered if I could get a bigger internal drive.

Any had this problem and been able to sort it?

Walti 9th May 2019 05:24 PM

Re: Macbook Air
 
I’ve just spent an age sorting out my MacBook Pro.

Do you use the iCloud file storage facility?

sapper 9th May 2019 05:28 PM

Re: Macbook Air
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walti (Post 480341)
Iíve just spent an age sorting out my MacBook Pro.

Do you use the iCloud file storage facility?

No, don't trust it, prefer physical stuff.

Shaw 9th May 2019 05:44 PM

Re: Macbook Air
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 480331)
I have a macbook air, which is fine, but does not have a lot of memory, so I use an external SSD when on hols to store my images. I keep getting message, 'your start up disc is low on space, please delete some files". Not exact but you get the point. I have removed PS 5 and other aps but wondered if I could get a bigger internal drive.

Any had this problem and been able to sort it?

You can upgrade the internal SSD drive. OWC have the hardware and installation videos, and the procedure looks fairly simple.
My wife has a MacBookAir, and has the same problem as you, and when I get a chance I will do an upgrade for her.

sapper 9th May 2019 07:26 PM

Re: Macbook Air
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaw (Post 480347)
You can upgrade the internal SSD drive. OWC have the hardware and installation videos, and the procedure looks fairly simple.
My wife has a MacBookAir, and has the same problem as you, and when I get a chance I will do an upgrade for her.

Thanks, but who are OWC?

pault 9th May 2019 07:45 PM

Re: Macbook Air
 
OWC i think is Other World Computing inc, another is Crucial, I think in Uk. I used them to upgrade to SSD ON my Macbook Pro a few years ago. Before you install the new drive you have to install a mirror image on the new drive via USB connection. Iused a program “superduper” my create a bootable image.

Mark_R2 9th May 2019 09:01 PM

Re: Macbook Air
 
Take a look at macupgrades.co.uk which has a lot of model specific info and links to upgrade videos. This should help you work out what you need. They also sell OWC ssdís and have an upgrade service, but i have not used them so i canít make a specific recommendation.

Walti 9th May 2019 10:39 PM

Re: Macbook Air
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_R2 (Post 480379)
Take a look at macupgrades.co.uk which has a lot of model specific info and links to upgrade videos. This should help you work out what you need. They also sell OWC ssdís and have an upgrade service, but i have not used them so i canít make a specific recommendation.

Macupgrades are very good, put a 2GB SSD in my iMac for me... They happen to be less than 2 miles from where I live too!

Walti 9th May 2019 10:43 PM

Re: Macbook Air
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 480344)
No, don't trust it, prefer physical stuff.

Have you put a micro SD card into the SD slot there's a special holder available for permanent use, then you can move stuff from your start up disk to the micro sd card... I have my Apple Photos and my iTunes stuff on one.

One of these!

and one of these

TimP 10th May 2019 07:06 PM

Re: Macbook Air
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walti (Post 480385)
Macupgrades are very good, put a 2GB SSD in my iMac for me... They happen to be less than 2 miles from where I live too!

2GB? Itíd barely boot!

Being serious (for a change!) upgrading a MacBook Air is doable, depending on model, but isnít as cheap as youíd like to hope and not overly straightforward. I maxed out the SSD size in mine when I bought it but it was still a compromise. Iíd love to put a 2TB one in (OWC do a kit) but here in the UK itís ridiculously expensive from my research. Problem is a non standard M2 type connector which the OWC kit gets around.

sapper 10th May 2019 09:22 PM

Re: Macbook Air
 
[QUOTE=Walti;480386]Have you put a micro SD card into the SD slot there's a special holder available for permanent use, then you can move stuff from your start up disk to the micro sd card... I have my Apple Photos and my iTunes stuff on one.

Thanks, I have not. I will think about.

Internaut 11th May 2019 11:32 AM

Re: Macbook Air
 
Another option: back up your data and reset your MacBook. I reset my 2011 MacBook Air to give to my sister, and it effectively reset to a ďjust taken out of the boxĒ state. Once youíve done this:
  • Put only the software you need on there.
  • Ensure your photos are kept on external storage (which you already do).

Caveat: Not a good option if you have software on there that might be difficult to get hold of now.

blu-by-u 18th May 2019 06:15 AM

Re: Macbook Air
 
Unfortunately not all Macbooks can be upgraded. They onboard mounted the SSD to my daughter's macbook. They even left out that SD reader. :mad:

TimP 18th May 2019 06:46 AM

Re: Macbook Air
 
I think the MacBook Air still had the SD reader until the very latest upgrade when they added the retina screen and took away everything else useful. The MacBook has never had any proper ports at all, just a single USB-C I think. Madness.

Shaw 18th May 2019 12:14 PM

Re: Macbook Air
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 480976)
I think the MacBook Air still had the SD reader until the very latest upgrade when they added the retina screen and took away everything else useful. The MacBook has never had any proper ports at all, just a single USB-C I think. Madness.

It's the other way round. My MacBook has all the ports, but my wife's MacBook Air has only the USB port.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:56 AM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger