Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus E-5 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   HELP! C-AF not working (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27471)

vincent 14th June 2013 10:41 PM

C-AF not working

Just bought a new E-5 via an Ebay auction. Despite working my way through the manual and myriad menu settings, I find I have no continuous auto-focus. Nothing. Lens does not move; no confirming beep; image stays out of focus at half-press and continues out of focus to exposure. S-AF is fine.

Before I make a fool of myself by sending it back to Olympus: is there a menu setting I may have overlooked which could have disabled C-AF?

I should add that I'm an E-3 owner - so it's not as if I'm unfamiliar with the breed. I've tried several lenses; batteries out and back; cleaned contacts etc. I updated firmware to version 1.3.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Imageryone 14th June 2013 10:49 PM

Re: C-AF not working

Depress the contact springs on the camera using a Biro refill, may just be one is a little sticky? Do it very gently :)

DerekC 14th June 2013 11:07 PM

It might be worth checking as S AF works that C AF has been set for back button focusing through the AEL/AFL menu. In which case when using C AF the AEL/AFL button needs pressing to focus.

Chevvyf1 15th June 2013 08:25 AM

Are you using LIVE VIEW screen focus or viewfinder ? I seem to recall that C-AF does not work with the LIVEview ???

Have you done RESET ?

vincent 15th June 2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekC (Post 233804)
It might be worth checking as S AF works that C AF has been set for back button focusing through the AEL/AFL menu. In which case when using C AF the AEL/AFL button needs pressing to focus.

Thanks Derek - think that's cracked it. Couldn't fathom why resetting cured the problem, until the camera was turned off and on again, when C-AF ceased to function once more :confused:

Tried pressing AEL, and that restored it. Appears that, somehow, when setting up modes using the "myset" menu, the camera somehow defaulted to - as you say - back button focusing.

Looks like I'm going to have to spend a lot more time with the manual! Personally, I'd be chuffed if Olly brought out an E-7 with a control set as complex as, say ... an OM-1 *yes

David M 15th June 2013 12:02 PM

My 4/3 bodies are set up as if they're OM2's. Turn them on and start shooting. I'll never use 98% of the options/features on them.

Chevvyf1 15th June 2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M (Post 233882)
My 4/3 bodies are set up as if they're OM2's. Turn them on and start shooting. I'll never use 98% of the options/features on them.

David, is this because do do many 'functions' in post processing s/ware ? I do :)

Imageryone 15th June 2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M (Post 233882)

With you entirely, David, the ONLY button I use is Exp Comp on a regular basis, very occasionally Iso. Why make life difficult?

David M 15th June 2013 01:30 PM

I spent a couple of decades shooting slow transparency film for publication/stock using OM2's so learned how to get it right in camera.

For the past year my HG and SHG glass has been gathering dust as I've gone retro shooting manual focus primes for my personal work.