Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Do we have an Admin team or Moderators around here? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11256)

Greytop 8th October 2010 09:49 AM

Re: Do we have an Admin team or Moderators around here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 87118)
Just tell them the Zuiko lenses are the best there are and nothing gets close, I did once, I think they just changed topic as there was nothing to debate lol.

Paul

Funny you mention that Paul, I seem to remember wading in with some support for your post on that thread. As soon as SHG f/2 zooms were mentioned the tack turned to 4/3rds sensor size verses APS-C, not a surprise given the demography ;)

Ah I found the thread http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...=190118&page=2

But in general I do agree that TP can be tetchy place, even Pentax and Sony users sometimes have a hard time against the hordes of Nikon and Canon faithful. All good fun though :D

Kiwi Paul 8th October 2010 09:57 AM

Yes here is the reply to my comment

"That's cheating though isn't it. They only cover 4/3rds format, which is barely half the size of the regular crop-format APS-C sensor, and only a quarter the area of full frame.

Excellent lenses though they are, they cannot be made to work on any other format"

Zuiko 8th October 2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 87137)

"That's cheating though isn't it. They only cover 4/3rds format, which is barely half the size of the regular crop-format APS-C sensor, and only a quarter the area of full frame.

Excellent lenses though they are, they cannot be made to work on any other format"

Surely that's why you buy into Four Thirds - to get the lenses!

benvendetta 8th October 2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 87118)
Just tell them the Zuiko lenses are the best there are and nothing gets close, I did once, I think they just changed topic as there was nothing to debate lol.

Paul

That's a great way to start!
BTW I haven't actually posted a message yet as there does seem to be a lot of good stuff there. I will mooch around a while before I get my hands dirty :D:D

benvendetta 8th October 2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greytop (Post 87136)
Funny you mention that Paul, I seem to remember wading in with some support for your post on that thread. As soon as SHG f/2 zooms were mentioned the tack turned to 4/3rds sensor size verses APS-C, not a surprise given the demography ;)

Ah I found the thread http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...=190118&page=2

But in general I do agree that TP can be tetchy place, even Pentax and Sony users sometimes have a hard time against the hordes of Nikon and Canon faithful. All good fun though :D

I just had a look at this thread. Things quickly changed after the mention of the super f2s. But at least it was acknowledged that they are good.
Arn't you secretly glad that ZDs can't be used on the other formats?
I am *yes

Zuiko 8th October 2010 11:31 AM

Just remember Paul, next time you get a picture that betters what you could of got from a larger format - you're cheating! :D

Graham_of_Rainham 8th October 2010 12:32 PM

I'd forgotten all about that place, joined years ago and quickly found it to be a very strange place :(

However I never thought of it as a place to "play"

Is there a prize for getting the most fish on one hook :D

flying haggis 8th October 2010 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you might need this for use on other forums!*yes

Kiwi Paul 8th October 2010 12:59 PM

While we are in the process of berating other sites, has anyone ever uploaded photos to Ephotozine and then seen how many votes you get? It's very "clicky" and even very good shots just get a handful of votes if your not one of the "In crowd" where as complete crap often gets loads and loads of votes if you are one of them. It's a constant source of discussion on the Ephotozine forums some saying that it fine and others saying voters should be more discerning.

It's not a bad site though although very Canikon orientated heres a link if anyone is interested...

http://www.ephotozine.com/

Paul

Greytop 8th October 2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 87137)

I guess this is a bit off topic but thinking about the comment 'barely half the size of APS-C', that is more than wide of the mark.
If you equalise the sensor format size to 4/3rds by dividing the height by 3 then multiplying by 4 for the length you end up with 77% the area of the Canon sensor and 68.5% the area of the Sony/Nikon/Pentax sensor.

Wish I had thought of that at the time.......look I'm getting sucked in again :rolleyes:

ringneck 8th October 2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 87178)
While we are in the process of berating other sites, has anyone ever uploaded photos to Ephotozine and then seen how many votes you get? It's very "clicky" and even very good shots just get a handful of votes if your not one of the "In crowd" where as complete crap often gets loads and loads of votes. It's a constant source of discussion on the Ephotozine forums some saying that it fine and others saying voters should be more discerning.

It's not a bad site though although very Canikon orientated heres a link if anyone is interested...

http://www.ephotozine.com/

Paul

I have been on EPZ even before I got my 1st DSLR and over the years been involved with the voting discussion from both sides.
Overall its a great day to day site with plenty of scope for the odd argument with competitions with prizes and names in the hat goodies as well...only drawback is it costs if you go for full membership.
It is an across the board site catering for Pro's as well as people who just want to enjoy themselves through photo's.The one really good section is the junior one which is well run and my how good are the young un's !!!!

At one time I got into hot water for daring to point some Oly people toward this site but they let me off.

As for the good images not getting the attention thay deserve ....well the Editor gives Awards daily and weekly as well as guest Editors diong similar......and THEY do not bother who took them as it's all about the shot.
The general comments will,quite rightly,soon dry up on certain peoples images if these people just stick there shots on the site without joining "in the Community".

Keith *chr

Kiwi Paul 8th October 2010 01:53 PM

I didn't mean the Editors picks just the peoples votes the main gripe with the peoples votes part on EPz is the "I'll vote for your photo if you vote for mine" mentality, a lot of folk just seem to want a lot of votes irrespective whether the photo is good or not.

Paul

ringneck 8th October 2010 03:33 PM

Yes Paul you are right...but after all these years it's still the same and the only conclusion is that it's the way of the world and no one will ever change it.
At the moment they are experimenting with different voting and it's all a bit confusing.
Keith *chr

matty 7th December 2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMusicMan
Ok, thanks for the quick comment. I understand, no probs.

I prefer not to have (as they often do on TP) a great big 'ADMINISTRATOR' in my user title or profile - it's not what I am about.

you'll have to let me know who that is doing that John..if any staff have normal user titles its normally only Site Staff, I dont recal anyone having Admin in their user title or profile..except the Admin account, and thats not a real user anyway...

jamie allan 7th December 2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matty (Post 94120)
you'll have to let me know who that is doing that John..if any staff have normal user titles its normally only Site Staff, I dont recal anyone having Admin in their user title or profile..except the Admin account, and thats not a real user anyway...

Could we end this playground spat and genuinely talk about taking photographs? I thought that's what both forums were about.
As plenty of people better than me have stated - It's not the camera but the image you capture that makes the difference.