Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Delay before I can take the next shot (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45933)

Snookerman 20th August 2017 01:04 PM

Delay before I can take the next shot

I have had an EM 1 for about 9 months now and until recently haven't had nearly enough time to use it. I think it's fantastic though and am taking some great pics with it and my lenses.

However, something that is annoying me is that I must have it set on a setting that is not the best - but I don't know which one.

When I take a pic, I then get a delay before I can take another. In this time (maybe 2 or 3 seconds), the screen goes dark and I wait until the image of the shot I've just taken on the screen shows up. I can't press the shutter again until then. This is generally fine for a lot of landscape shots, though I'd prefer that this wasn't happening.

As I say, I've probably got it set wrong somewhere - or inherited it that way when it was bought.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Snookerman 20th August 2017 02:56 PM

Re: Delay before I can take the next shot

I am using a Kingston 32gb HC card
Noise red is set to Auto, standard
The camera is set to both LSF and RAW

MJ224 20th August 2017 03:10 PM

Sounds tho' the SD card is a bit slow.

What speed is it? (mb/second)

PeterBirder 20th August 2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snookerman (Post 425368)
I am using a Kingston 32gb HC card
Noise red is set to Auto, standard
The camera is set to both LSF and RAW

Try setting Noise Reduction to OFF. This is the function that takes a second "dark frame " for every shot and is only needed if you are taking long exposures.

Noise Filter is the function you may want to use to deal with high ISO noise.

Regards.*chr

Snookerman 20th August 2017 03:59 PM

OK, I'll try switching it off.

The card says 90mbs/45mbs.
Kingston Technology SDA10/32GB 32GB UHS-I Ultimate Flash Card according to Amazon...copied and pasted that

Sorry for size of font

It's a 32gb Kingston HCI. It also has a 10 in brackets - (10) and a 1 in a kind of cup symbol.

Noticed as well, that the delay is about 2 seconds and an orange disc symbol flashes in top left corner of screen...so SD card, I guess. Could try a diff one in case it's faulty.

Switiching off noise filter and noise red seemed to make no difference.

Would shooting only RAW, not RAW and LSF make a diff....though option for just RAW seems greyed out

Mark_R2 20th August 2017 05:36 PM

Try this:

Go to the 'Spanner' menu and set 'Rec View' to 'Off'. I do a lot of motor sports photography and this is essential.

Mark

Snookerman 20th August 2017 06:03 PM

Thank you for you ideas, folks.

I have tried both the switching off noise red and Rec View. Neithe roff those makes any differecne and I still get a 2, or even 3 second delay before i can shoot again.

Maybe a faster card, or maybe becuase I have my camera set to LSFand RAW? Maybe a lesser JPG would be better? Or just RAW....though just RAW is greyed out atm.

Bikie John 20th August 2017 06:35 PM

If raw-only is greyed out, could it be that you have some Art filter active? That in turn could add some processing time. Just clutching at straws but you never know....

I normally shoot raw and JPEG (medium fine) together and haven't noticed this problem. I'm never too sure how card speeds are rated, but I still didn't have the problem with the E-M5 a few years ago when cards were generally slower.

John

c12402 20th August 2017 07:56 PM

I suggest first change to a lexar 2000X, the card you have is very slow

Snookerman 20th August 2017 08:05 PM

OK. They are very expesnive though. Would the 1000x still be much faster?

cliff 20th August 2017 10:55 PM

think the card speed you have is fast enough for the mki, do you have another to check it as you suggested? I used a 95mbs in mine with no problems, have you tryed formating the card in the camera? It does sound like dark frame subtraction, but I don't know why RAW should be greyed out?Double check it's off by taking a long exposure and see if it locks you out for a similar length of time as the exposure, the red flashing is writing to card in progress .Google luck and let us know how it goes, if push comes to shove you can always do a reset*chr

c12402 20th August 2017 11:27 PM

I had a Sandisk 95mb/s theoretical speed before with em-5, no chance, with a 2K€ camera, spending 60€ in the card is not a big deal, and please, do not insert any card in the slot 2, it will slowdown everything again. This is a very well known effect, just look through in older posts.

MJ224 21st August 2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snookerman (Post 425391)
OK. They are very expesnive though. Would the 1000x still be much faster?

I use the X1000 on my Em1/2. That card is a little slow, but does work OK for me.

Is your Em1 a mk1 or 2? On my EM1 I used the @10 cards, they were fast enough. If you have the mk2, you should have the X1000 or better still the X2000. (in slot 1). I have a 30mb/s in slot 2, which is for video only. Dim (no in Welsh) problems there.........*yes

The little orange symbol is saying I (?) am writing to the memory card. Beginning to sound like the card is not up to it, especially after switching off some of the bells and whistles mentioned....

Good luck...*chr

Snookerman 21st August 2017 07:52 AM

Thanks,

Yep. I've tried a new card to the same spec and formatted it in camera. No difference. Still about 3/4 seconds of orange card symbol flashing.

BTW, I have found out why RAW was greyed out. I don't know why the camera does this, but it seems that if my main dial is on anything other than Auto, some things are not an option. I have it mainly on A. As so as I switched to Auto, RAW only becomes available.

When I switch to RAW only, there is no black screen after a shot and the processing time between shots drops from 3/4 seconds to about 2. Still not great. I guess RAW/LSF is more processing heavy (no surprise perhaps)

It seems that my problem is almost certainly card based. Who'd have thought that this card (45mb/s write speed) would not handle it, but maybe I have a lot of high settings switched on.

Will an Em1 mk1....that is what I have, not the mk 11, handle a 2000x card? I know some cameras won't handle the latest cards - something about USB I read about.

MJ224 21st August 2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snookerman (Post 425415)
Thanks,Will an Em1 mk1....that is what I have, not the mk 11, handle a 2000x card? I know some cameras won't handle the latest cards - something about USB I read about.

The Mk1 won't have that slot type..........So it won't make use of the extra speed available. (as far as I know).

The X1000 and X2000 have an extra row of contacts so the slot is a different spec....

*chr