Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   EM-1: Sudden Total Failure (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45715)

Harold Gough 27th July 2017 09:20 AM

EM-1: Sudden Total Failure
 
I was happily taking some photos when there was a fairly loud noise, much like mirror slap in a film Oly.

The camera was dead. A change of battery made no difference. On removing the lens, I found that I could not see the sensor, only a black curtain. Something was very wrong.

There isn't much experience on the internet either.

I am going to have to contact a repairer.

Harold

Ian 27th July 2017 09:49 AM

Re: EM-1: Sudden Total Failure
 
That does sound like shutter failure. I guess the camera is no longer under warranty?

You could try Luton Cameras repair service. Olympus will do an excellent job. There is an online booking system, you are provided with an address in the UK to send the camera to and they will then forward it to the European service centre in Portugal and then you will get a quote for the work needed and if you accept and pay, the camera is repaired and shipped directly back to you. if the parts are in stock it will probably take around 2 weeks.

Ian

Harold Gough 27th July 2017 09:50 AM

Re: EM-1: Sudden Total Failure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Gough (Post 422771)
I was happily taking some photos when there was a fairly loud noise, much like mirror slap in a film Oly.

The camera was dead. A change of battery made no difference. On removing the lens, I found that I could not see the sensor, only a black curtain. Something was very wrong.

There isn't much experience on the internet either.

I am going to have to contact a repairer.

Harold

Trying another battery, in the battery grip, did not work. I then placed a charged battery in the camera battery compartment and it cleared the problem.

I think the problem arose because I used the last drop if power from the battery and the back-up was also exhausted.

Harold

Jim Ford 27th July 2017 09:59 AM

Re: EM-1: Sudden Total Failure
 
So it turned out to be "Sudden Total Failure" of user, then!

;^)

Jim

Harold Gough 27th July 2017 10:00 AM

Re: EM-1: Sudden Total Failure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 422776)
That does sound like shutter failure. I guess the camera is no longer under warranty?

You could try Luton Cameras repair service. Olympus will do an excellent job. There is an online booking system, you are provided with an address in the UK to send the camera to and they will then forward it to the European service centre in Portugal and then you will get a quote for the work needed and if you accept and pay, the camera is repaired and shipped directly back to you. if the parts are in stock it will probably take around 2 weeks.

Ian


Thanks, Ian.

I solved it with a fresh battery in the camera battery compartment. Replacing the one in the battery grip was ineffective on this occasion. It seems that two flat batteries, in the camera and in the grip, made replacing only the one in the grip ineffective on this occasion.

Harold

Ian 27th July 2017 10:09 AM

Re: EM-1: Sudden Total Failure
 
PHEW!!! :)

Ian

Harold Gough 27th July 2017 10:22 AM

Re: EM-1: Sudden Total Failure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 422778)
So it turned out to be "Sudden Total Failure" of user, then!

;^)

Jim

Not really. I have never had an exhausted battery cause such symptoms. I would at least get it to show a Battery Exhausted display. Also, the default is the battery in the grip and the one in the camera is back-up, almost never being used.

Harold

Harold Gough 27th July 2017 10:23 AM

Re: EM-1: Sudden Total Failure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 422780)
PHEW!!! :)

Ian

I was about to download the Repair Request form.

Harold

Harold Gough 7th August 2017 08:19 PM

Re: EM-1: Sudden Total Failure
 
Today I had both batteries exhausted but got the usual displayed warning for each in turn, no alarming symptoms.

Harold

Naughty Nigel 3rd October 2017 07:29 AM

Re: EM-1: Sudden Total Failure
 
The system usually shuts itself down when the batteries reach a critical voltage, thus protecting both the camera and the batteries.

However, this system is necessarily 'predictive' in nature, as remaining voltage does not necessarily equate to remaining power. It may be the case that the battery voltage when not under load was 'adequate', but there was insufficient current available (at adequate voltage) to complete the shutter operating cycle. This is caused by the batteries' internal resistance, which effectively limits the current available at any given voltage.

This is akin to a weak battery in a car. The lights and radio may work (indicating adequate voltage) but operating the starter motor kills everything!

pdk42 3rd October 2017 08:09 AM

Re: EM-1: Sudden Total Failure
 
I had similar a similar problem with my E-M5 some years ago. It only ever happened with 3rd party batteries. I now only use genuine Oly batteries.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger