Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   How do I over or under expose with Auto ISO (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32037)

DerekW 16th March 2014 05:38 PM

How do I over or under expose with Auto ISO

I am using the M1 with the shutter speed and aperture to suit what I want and then using auto ISO to get the exposure more or less correct - however there are times that I want to over or underexpose the subject.

From what I can see and read there is no lever or wheel I can use to achieve this.

Please tell me that there is something that I have not understand in the manual.

I want to avoid switching the ISO to a set value as that requires extra fiddling. I know I can set a specific over ride value for a given metering type in the menu structure.

photo_owl 16th March 2014 05:53 PM

Re: How do I over or under expose with Auto ISO

you have answered your own question - it's an override in menu, and can be set differently for different metering modes.

this is a step forwards from the Ex models, but it would be better still to permit direct exposure compensation.

DerekW 16th March 2014 06:29 PM

Thanks - I was hoping for a more instant and direct method that could be easily reversed

Magus 16th March 2014 10:13 PM

I don't have an E M1 (yet) but I have downloaded the manual. I think that if you look at p99 it shows you how to assign exposure compensation to a button. This should allow you to use a wheel to under or over expose. I don't know if you have any spare buttons though!

Hope this is of some help.

Gus

birdboy 16th March 2014 10:54 PM

I have wanted to have the same control when in M mode. The only way I can see is to flip the lever in position 2 and then using the front dial adjust the iso to get your over/under exposure. The compensation along with shutter and aperture are shown in a line just down from the top of the screen.

photo_owl 17th March 2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magus (Post 284805)
I don't have an E M1 (yet) but I have downloaded the manual. I think that if you look at p99 it shows you how to assign exposure compensation to a button. This should allow you to use a wheel to under or over expose. I don't know if you have any spare buttons though!

Hope this is of some help.

Gus

not relevant in M mode with Auto ISO (on any E system camera) including your 620.

OM USer 17th March 2014 10:52 AM

Can't be done on the E-M5 either. A lot of people have voiced this as a nice to have feature.

Gwyver 17th March 2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdboy (Post 284809)
I have wanted to have the same control when in M mode. The only way I can see is to flip the lever in position 2 and then using the front dial adjust the iso to get your over/under exposure. The compensation along with shutter and aperture are shown in a line just down from the top of the screen.

Yes that does what you want - provided that you have "Lever Function" (Menu Cog B) set to mode1 or mode 2. {See the manual, page 101}.

It is also helpful to have the information display set to superimpose a histogram so you can check the effect as you dial in the ISO adjustment.

photo_owl 17th March 2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwyver (Post 284930)
Yes that does what you want - provided that you have "Lever Function" (Menu Cog B) set to mode1 or mode 2. {See the manual, page 101}.

It is also helpful to have the information display set to superimpose a histogram so you can check the effect as you dial in the ISO adjustment.

but, at the risk of stating the obvious, it doesn't do what Derek (OP) and many others want because you are retaining manual control of the ISO for exposure purposes rather than using it in Auto mode with the ability to dial in a little compensation if required.

An example might help - shooting rugby I will select a shutter speed for the movement control, the aperture for the dof required for the type of shots and leave the exposure in the hands of the ISO - I don't care about noise, grain etc the shots dead with motion blur or critical elements oof! Now, so far so good - until one team has mainly white shirts and the other black and white bands (for example). Spot or CW are useless (haven't time to judge where the exposure balance is being made!); what I really want is matrix exposure with a tweak up +0.7 or 1.0 probably, dialing down a bit as the mud gets applied!

there's no logical reason it can't be permitted, because effectively that's what's preventing it - permission!

DerekW 17th March 2014 06:55 PM

photo_owl you described my dilemma exactly apart from the subject not being sports related.

byegad 17th March 2014 10:07 PM

On my PEN and E series cameras you can AE shift easily. I'd be surprised if the OM EM1 hasn't got this feature. Maybe a trawl through the manual will turn it up.

photo_owl 18th March 2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byegad (Post 284984)
On my PEN and E series cameras you can AE shift easily. I'd be surprised if the OM EM1 hasn't got this feature. Maybe a trawl through the manual will turn it up.

you will have to explain this a little more - I'm afraid the only thing I can relate to AE shift is Ps, which changes the shutter/aperture relationship in Program mode but has no impact on exposure (which you just dial on top in P mode).

:confused:

Chris Semmens 19th March 2014 09:55 PM

Hi

In Aperture Priority. rear dial changes aperture front dial alters exposure + or -

Hope this answers your question.

Chris

photo_owl 20th March 2014 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Semmens (Post 285309)
Hi

In Aperture Priority. rear dial changes aperture front dial alters exposure + or -

Hope this answers your question.

Chris

but we (this thread is about) M mode.....:confused:

Ross the fiddler 20th March 2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo_owl (Post 285351)
but we (this thread is about) M mode.....:confused:

Not related to the specific issue, but my wife came home frustrated with the teaching staff (at school) because they weren't reading the details given. :rolleyes: ;)

I can understand the disappointment (or rather, frustration) in not having this particular specific function as I can see it would have its uses. Maybe a bit more pressure on Olympus & it might be included in some future models & maybe, just maybe, added to some existing models, but I am dreaming now. ;) One ideal way to include ISO compensation would be to have the + & - adjustment in the SCP under the ISO box (like flash compensation is), but now I'm really dreaming. :D