Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus E-3 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Depth of Field Preview with Live View? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5747)

Jim Ford 23rd June 2009 06:08 PM

Depth of Field Preview with Live View?
 
Someone posted the following on dpreview:

"One genius feature that you likely haven't thought about ;-) is that on the E3, you can focus on a 10x enlarged patch that can be moved around. The genius in this is, that you can (with product-shots for example) move this to a blurred part after focusing, and press the DoF button **while still zoomed in** and judge DoF on a NOT-darkened LV image...fan-tas-tic."

Now I would find this very useful, but it doesn't work for me. I can zoom in with live view to (say) 5x, but when I press the Depth of View button, the display reverts to 1x.

Can anyone confirm that it works?

Jim

peak4 23rd June 2009 06:45 PM

Re: Depth of Field Preview with Live View?
 
Not for me with software @1.4

Thought I'd try it on my nice new E-620, got it out of the bag and remembered there's no DOF button, ho hum. :rolleyes:

Invicta 23rd June 2009 07:25 PM

Re: Depth of Field Preview with Live View?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 45657)
Someone posted the following on dpreview:

"One genius feature that you likely haven't thought about ;-) is that on the E3, you can focus on a 10x enlarged patch that can be moved around. The genius in this is, that you can (with product-shots for example) move this to a blurred part after focusing, and press the DoF button **while still zoomed in** and judge DoF on a NOT-darkened LV image...fan-tas-tic."

Now I would find this very useful, but it doesn't work for me. I can zoom in with live view to (say) 5x, but when I press the Depth of View button, the display reverts to 1x.

Can anyone confirm that it works?

Jim


DOF button reverts to 1x as well for me on my E-3. DOF looks to default to the standard information display rather than the enlarged display.

michaelavis 23rd June 2009 09:18 PM

Re: Depth of Field Preview with Live View?
 
behaves exactly that way for me too, maybe the only way to clear it up is to ask the person who posted the comment?

forgive me for asking, but in what kind of shooting situation would you find it useful? in the playing about I did to check this out, I couldnt help thinking that the depth of field preview was more useful in the 1x live view rather than zoomed in, it's behaviour seemed quite logical to me.

Jim Ford 23rd June 2009 09:27 PM

Re: Depth of Field Preview with Live View?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelavis (Post 45661)
behaves exactly that way for me too, maybe the only way to clear it up is to ask the person who posted the comment?

They don't reveal their email.

Quote:

forgive me for asking, but in what kind of shooting situation would you find it useful?
For macro work, where you want to ensure that the subject is as sharp as possible from front to back.

Jim


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:19 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger