Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Looking for improvement (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Landscape focus stacking (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31352)

StephenL 1st February 2014 03:49 PM

Landscape focus stacking

Following on from my "blurry" shot, I thought I'd experiment with focus stacking to get maximum depth of field. This was blended (in Photoshop) from 9 separate shots, each focussed on a different area. My technique was simply to tripod-mount the E-M1 with the Panasonic 12-35, and use the touch-screen to focus and release the shutter (each shot with a 2 second delay). It's probably not the ideal subject, but I did it more as an experiment, as focus stacking is more commonly associated with macro shots (as Peter has just shown in FF).

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/da...33-41blend.jpg

David Morison 1st February 2014 05:38 PM

Re: Landscape focus stacking

How inventive you are Stephen! I had never thought of using the touchscreen for such a task probably because I've never thought of using the touchscreen per se. I must try to be more adventurous!

David

Stewart G 1st February 2014 05:54 PM

You've done an excellent job, I think and agree that stacking is well suited for landscape photography. To me, it more closely resembles the way our eyes see. We don't, after all, look at something and see the surrounding areas out of focus; our eye seamlessly re-focuses as needed.
My only suggestion, merely as an alternate technique, would be to note the near and far focus points and then just turn the focus ring ten times, or a hundred times, in a series of captures. It's easier to delete unneeded images than it is to go back and reshoot because some key element was out of focus. This way you know you've broken the distance plane into more or less equal slices, and any slice can go unused if you want to deliberately defocus elements.
Works for me, anyway...*chr

StephenL 1st February 2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Morison (Post 276822)
How inventive you are Stephen! I had never thought of using the touchscreen for such a task probably because I've never thought of using the touchscreen per se. I must try to be more adventurous!

David

I had poo-pooed the idea of a touch-screen shutter. Till I realised a) how fast the E-M1 focussed and b) how useful it could be. But you have to use the Info button to get a completely clear screen. It's also a little restricting in that I couldn't go to the very edges of the screen.

I should add that you see the effect better on a large screen, as this wasn't perhaps the best subject. It really needed larger objects in the foreground.

StephenL 1st February 2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart G (Post 276828)
You've done an excellent job, I think and agree that stacking is well suited for landscape photography. To me, it more closely resembles the way our eyes see. We don't, after all, look at something and see the surrounding areas out of focus; our eye seamlessly re-focuses as needed.
My only suggestion, merely as an alternate technique, would be to note the near and far focus points and then just turn the focus ring ten times, or a hundred times, in a series of captures. It's easier to delete unneeded images than it is to go back and reshoot because some key element was out of focus. This way you know you've broken the distance plane into more or less equal slices, and any slice can go unused if you want to deliberately defocus elements.
Works for me, anyway...*chr

That's fine - as long as you've got a lens with a focus scale so you can judge how far to turn the ring. :)

sponner 1st February 2014 06:01 PM

Excuse me if this is daft but with such a wide angle lense is it necessary to focus stack?

e.g. at 12mm it looks like focus goes from 1' to infinity?

StephenL 1st February 2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sponner (Post 276832)
Excuse me if this is daft but with such a wide angle lense is it necessary to focus stack?

e.g. at 12mm it looks like focus goes from 1' to infinity?

This was at 35mm, and was more a proof of concept. You don't want to be stopping down further than f8 anyway. :)

OM USer 1st February 2014 06:50 PM

A good idea with the touch screen. Well done.

Chevvyf1 1st February 2014 09:24 PM

Stephen, a good idea :) great result :)

Peter_Hartland 1st February 2014 10:44 PM

If you have the EM1, although it is possible on the EM5 as well using Focus Peaking helps with stacking without scaleSee this image `i did this week.
Focus Stacking from 15 images

StephenL 2nd February 2014 05:38 PM

For some reason my eyes can't get on with focus peaking. I find it difficult to differentiate between slight peaking (almost in focus) and strong peaking (perfect focus). Maybe something to do with my astagmatism, which IS corrected by my specs.

banjukes 2nd February 2014 06:50 PM

It worked well Stephen, very good result.

photo_owl 2nd February 2014 07:13 PM

excellent example here, with the foreground interest/detail.

what would be useful would be to compare an image such as this with the same scene taken at f8 with a single shot focused 1/3 into the image.

I suspect that even at web resolutions the difference would be obvious - but then again I wouldn't bet on it!

StephenL 2nd February 2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo_owl (Post 277033)

what would be useful would be to compare an image such as this with the same scene taken at f8 with a single shot focused 1/3 into the image.

I suspect that even at web resolutions the difference would be obvious - but then again I wouldn't bet on it!

Watch this space! I shall produce one in the next day or so!

StephenL 3rd February 2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo_owl (Post 277033)

This was taken from the sequence used in the focus stacking at f6.3. The point of focus was the small log sticking up out of the water.

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/da...m1-1310538.jpg