Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Camera conference (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What was your first SLR (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1179)

andym 7th March 2008 11:05 AM

What was your first SLR

Mine was an Praktica Nova1.It was brought my father for us both to use in I think 1970.I believe it was £24.00.
As I remember it was bigger then the E3 but not as heavy.It got passed on to a relative and then disappeared.

Jim 7th March 2008 11:09 AM

Re: What was your first SLR

Can't remember the exact model but mine to was a Praktica, followed by a Yashica. But this was mid to late 80's.

Andrew Riddell 7th March 2008 11:13 AM

Moved from a Zorki (Russian Leica-clone rangefinder) to a Minolta SRT 101 in the early 70s.

Andrew

Steve Lane 7th March 2008 11:20 AM

Zenit E back in 1980! This was a steel brick of a camera that taught me loads about metering, aperture values etc. If I recall correctly, it had a 50mm lens and I later purchased a used 135mm lens. The camera finally jammed up whilst I was on holiday in 1982, so I decided something more 'modern' was in order.

I had settled on a Pentax MX SLR, but after looking at one I did not like it. It was then that I saw the OM1n and new this was the camera for me. I am still using it today, although I must admit I only put around one or two rolls of film through it a year. It still produces great slides and looks a real classic!

Scapula Memory 7th March 2008 11:25 AM

Mine was the OM10. I remember the salesman telling me I could have the manual adapter as a freebie as normally there was an extra charge. Still not sure if he was telling the truth :)

ianc 7th March 2008 11:28 AM

My first SLR was a Zenit B. It featured no light meter, manual stopdown aperture and shutter speeds from 1/30th to 1/500th sec. It weighed a ton and was the most unreliable piece of kit I have ever owned. Having said all that the 58mm f2 lens it came with was incredibly sharp and when it was working I managed to get some great results from it. The other great thing about starting with a camera which did nothing for you is that you have to learn the principals of photography very quickly.

Ian C.

ianc 7th March 2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scapula Memory (Post 10402)
Mine was the OM10. I remember the salesman telling me I could have the manual adapter as a freebie as normally there was an extra charge. Still not sure if he was telling the truth :)

The salesman was telling you the truth, don't you know salesmen never lie. If memory serves me correctly the manual adapter sold for about 25.

Ian C.

theMusicMan 7th March 2008 11:32 AM

Like John, mine was also the Olympus OM-10. However, I purchased the manual adapter...:)

andym 7th March 2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianc (Post 10403)
My first SLR was a Zenit B. It featured no light meter, manual stopdown aperture and shutter speeds from 1/30th to 1/500th sec. It weighed a ton and was the most unreliable piece of kit I have ever owned. Having said all that the 58mm f2 lens it came with was incredibly sharp and when it was working I managed to get some great results from it. The other great thing about starting with a camera which did nothing for you is that you have to learn the principals of photography very quickly.

Ian C.

Yes I agree,my Praktica had no light metering at all.I used to do everything by guess work.It's amazing how quickly you get used to what exposure and F stop to use without a meter.
We are probably spoiled nowadays.

E-P1 fan 7th March 2008 11:34 AM

Like half the world my first slr was the infamous Zenit B

http://licm.org.uk/scans/ZenitB.gif

followed closely after by a Zenit E

http://www.rus-camera.com/camera/sma...mp_front_a.jpg

DerekC 7th March 2008 11:51 AM

My first SLR was a Fujica (as there were called in the early 80's) STX-1. A good camera to start with a bit more advanced than the Zenith. Lack of lens was the main problem. I part exchanged it for a OM20 and haven't owned any other make camera since.

Derek C

DerekW 7th March 2008 11:52 AM

Another Praktica user from 1968 to 1974 then Minolta SRT 303s then Minolta X700s.

dbutch 7th March 2008 11:54 AM

My Dad had a Praktica LTL that I played with a bit, but my 1st SLR was a OM1 that I spent all my summer holiday earnings on! must of been about 1977

Dave

andym 7th March 2008 12:03 PM

Just looked on a Praktica fan site and I think I had the price wrong.It quotes 50.00 for the Nova1 with the Zeiss Tessar lens I had.This was probably quite a lot on money in those days.
As I remember I paid 139.00 for my OM1 in 1979 with the 50mm F1.8 lens.

ndl0071 7th March 2008 12:10 PM

OK I admit it, my first SLR was also a Praktica the model was the LB2, if my memory serves me correctly I bought it second hand from the City Camera Exchange at Canon Street Station in London, it would have been the late 70's. No idea how much it cost though as my mum bought it for me:) I no longer have it as it was traded in about 15 years ago when I upgraded to a Ca***!! (Sorry)

My dad had a Praktica LTL which I still have.