Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Camera body or lenses??!! (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8933)

Kiwi Paul 9th April 2010 11:07 PM

Camera body or lenses??!!

I've been out and about recently with the E3 and the 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses and possibly having the most fun photographing I've had for a long time.
With the kit lenses I don't expect too much, after all they are just "kit lenses" but they are compact and light and so easy to use and with the lovely ergonomics of the E3 photography has never been so much fun.
It's hard to describe but I feel under no pressure when using this kit, if it works that's fine and if not well who cares there's no expectation, when using the SHG lenses I feel almost an obligation to produce something good, silly I know but all that investment etc... but with kit lenses well "who cares", the irony is I produce some of my best work, well compositions anyway with the kits, sometimes the quality is lacking (the detail, resolution, contrast etc) because of the compromise of the lenses but other times I'm delighted with the shots and wonder if the SHG investment was a good idea after all. But there is one factor I never question or doubt and that is the E3, I love that camera, the size, weight, feel, ergonomics and useability of it, I wouldn't trade it for anything, maybe an E30 at a push but no way for the smaller bodies, in my books the E3 rules and that's one investment I'm glad to have made.

So I guess my point is what would I sacrifice if I had to? Well I think I'd keep the E3 and stick with the kit lenses, for me photography is about enjoyment and not just purity of the image, while I can appreciate the quality of the good glass a functional camera body that I feel at home with gives me more pleasure than good glass with a compromised camera.

Paul

Graham_of_Rainham 9th April 2010 11:19 PM

Re: Camera body or lenses??!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 70022)
I've been out and about recently with the E3 and the 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses and possibly having the most fun photographing I've had for a long time.

Paul

In which case I'll buy the 14-35 off you *yes

*chr

forester 10th April 2010 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 70022)
for me photography is about enjoyment and not just purity of the image, while I can appreciate the quality of the good glass a functional camera body that I feel at home with gives me more pleasure than good glass with a compromised camera.

Paul

And for me it is just getting out and seeing those wonderful thing there are in nature, If i get a very good shot ok but like many a time you don't quite get it right (in your eyes) but if you have enjoyed doing it, that is what it is all about, pure enjoyment of my hobby. *chr
Richard

theMusicMan 10th April 2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham (Post 70023)

*chr

I'd join the queue too. That's a cracking lens.

Wreckdiver 10th April 2010 10:54 AM

I'll have the 90-250mm *yes

Steve

E-3 10th April 2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham (Post 70023)

*chr

Damn thats the one I want, as it will go nicely with the 35-100mm I have just bought :)

forester 10th April 2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wreckdiver (Post 70044)
I'll have the 90-250mm *yes

Steve

Far to heavy for you, I would give it a good home though ;)
*chr

E-3 10th April 2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forester (Post 70054)
Far to heavy for you, I would give it a good home though ;)
*chr

I have to admit my 90-250mm has only been out on a couple of occasions due to the weight of the thing :o

forester 10th April 2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-3 (Post 70057)
I have to admit my 90-250mm has only been out on a couple of occasions due to the weight of the thing :o

I have the perfect thing for those heavy lenses it is a gimbal mount made in India but a fraction of the cost of the Wimberley version.
I used it when I had Canon kit, (sorry for the swear word ) now those lenses were heavy.:eek:
If you are doing fast moving sport, wildlife or anything that requires stability this bit of kit is fine, so if anyone wants to donate either the 90-250 or the 300mm I could make use of it again.;)
Regards
richard *chr

Kiwi Paul 10th April 2010 06:13 PM

If anyone's interested here's a comparison between the 14-42 kits lens and 14-35 SHG lens and 40-150 kit lens and 35-100 SHG lens.
All comparison shots were taken at the same ISO and aperture and same exposure although on some shots the exposure did vary by about 0.5 stop and I compensated in PP, all RAW and processed in LR3 beta 2.
Shots are not in any lens order, see if you can decide which is which.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Woofmix/LensComparison#

Paul

BobS 11th April 2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 70076)
If anyone's interested here's a comparison between the 14-42 kits lens and 14-35 SHG lens and 40-150 kit lens and 35-100 SHG lens.
All comparison shots were taken at the same ISO and aperture and same exposure although on some shots the exposure did vary by about 0.5 stop and I compensated in PP, all RAW and processed in LR3 beta 2.
Shots are not in any lens order, see if you can decide which is which.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Woofmix/LensComparison#

Paul

Paul, I've looked at them all and my ancient eyes can't tell the difference. I've no doubt that others will see a vast improvement in the SHG ones, but I have a feeling that they might be the owners of the more expensive lenses!;)

Bob

Janet 11th April 2010 07:17 PM

I've also looked, and I can't see any appreciable difference!

Are the 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses the same as I got with my e520? If so, I can't fault them!

I'm going to have to Google SHG lenses, as that went waaaaay over my head!

Janet

Kiwi Paul 12th April 2010 07:48 AM

The SHG lenses are the top pro Zuiko lenses while the kit lenses are the ones supplied with the camera bodies such as with your E520.

The differences for most part are undetectable in the samples I have posted, (mind you at web resolution it would be hard to spot any differences anyway), but that's my point, the kits perform remarkably well and for most part using mid range apertures in good light it's hard to tell them apart. Even viewing the originals files on my 22" screen any differences were still minor and I had to enlarge to 100% before they became really apparent.

Don't get me wrong the SHG lenses are very good, both in performance and build quality, they are fast and weatherproof and do out perform the other lenses without question, just at a price and they are large and heavy.

Paul

JerryE-1 12th April 2010 09:11 AM

I suppose it all depends on the work you intend to do. If you're planning to use your gear in a wet or dusty environment, with a risk of the cameras and lenses receiving a accidental bump or two, then that heavy investment in pro grade kit would be fully justified.

When used at their optimum aperture and in ideal conditions budget lenses can often equal their more expensive brethren in optical performance, but if you really need f2 to capture an image in challenging conditions then SHG glass would be the logical choice.

Jerry.