Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Wide angle (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   New lens!!!! (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8576)

benvendetta 9th March 2010 10:23 PM

New lens!!!!

Well I have just returned from a tiring day at Focus on Imaging at the NEC. To cut a long story short I bagged a brand spanking new 7-14 f4 ZD for 999 from the Jacobs store there. :D:D:D
Yes I know that I MAY have got one cheaper on Ebay (had I won one) but I have never seen a sub-1000 price (or anything near) in the UK. The cheapest price that I noted prior to today was 1349.
This is a lens that I have been lusting after for a while and I consider it a bargain - I just need to get out there and use it.
BTW, they had two at this price and the other was there late afternoon if anyone is interested.

Kiwi Paul 9th March 2010 10:28 PM

Re: New lens!!!!

Congrats, that's an excellent price and well worth getting!!

Paul

oly_om 9th March 2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 67520)
Congrats, that's an excellent price and well worth getting!!

Paul

Paul

Just resist the urge - the 9-18 is fine!!

Andy

Kiwi Paul 10th March 2010 12:08 AM

No I'm not buying one, I hardly use the 9-18 so certainly don't need the 7-14, although it would give me the full set, Hmmmmm lol.

Paul

Graham_of_Rainham 10th March 2010 12:20 AM

I use my one quite a bit, I really like the perspective it gives.

Do watch out for your feet :D

Have fun

*chr

StephenL 10th March 2010 07:37 AM

It's a lovely lens - in my view the best in the arsenal!

theMusicMan 10th March 2010 08:02 AM

Nice one Dave... you got what you wanted then after all...? :)

ndl0071 10th March 2010 08:21 AM

Very Cool Dave, I just wanted you to know that I'm not at all Jealous (Grrrrrrr)

*chr

Zuiko 10th March 2010 09:54 AM

Great News, Dave - I'm looking forward to the pictures - no pressure! :D

snaarman 10th March 2010 10:19 AM

7mm
!
!!

I always wondered, how do you keep your ears out of the shot?

Pete

dj69 10th March 2010 09:34 PM

Congratulations on your new lens. I was just looking at dp reviews challenge on ultra wides and the 7-14 featured 4 times in the top 10 and received first place, it has God like qualities..... in the right hands.

David

skyman1 11th March 2010 09:06 AM

congrats on the new lens I had to make do with a new tripod but have a Kerso
70-300m with Hoya at 50 less than the show price :) so hope to get some good bird shots when i get to grips with it

benvendetta 11th March 2010 12:23 PM

Thanks for all your comments. 'Tis likely to become my new favourite lens (this was the 11-22 before - do I now still need it? Hmmmm).
I can't wait to try it out in decent lighting.
There weren't that many Oly bargains at Focus although as has been mentioned elsewhere the EPL-1 plus 14-42 plus retro bag plus ZD adapter was 480 I think. The Oly lens prices at the Jacobs store were baffling. Whilst got the 7-14 for 999 the 150 f2 and 35-100 f2 lenses were about 1850ish. I see the SRS Microsystems is selling these for 1699 each. :confused:Weird. But I am one happy bunny!:D
No prices for other popular lenses such as the 12-60 or the 9-18 but the 8mm FE was five hundred and something I think.

One of the best bits of entertainment at Focus was the Panasonic demo of 3D television. There was a 50" 3D TV plus 3D Blu Ray player and we all donned the special glasses. Two short fims were shown, one of Rome and one of the Grand Canyon. All VERY impressive indeed and not OTT 3D, just natural. Due for launch in the UK in May. But you have to wonder how long it will be before even a smattering of stuff is available, and as for broadcast 3D TV then it could be a very loooooong time.

theMusicMan 11th March 2010 12:30 PM

Great news on your lens Dave, but as for the Oly 11-22mm - well, I've kept mine! Don't forget that you can't get a filter on the 7-14mm, not at all and so if you ever still want to be doing IR or ND type shooting, you still need that 11-22mm.

benvendetta 11th March 2010 12:49 PM

I totally agree with you on this John, plus it is relatively small and light for an HG walkaround wide angle zoom (certainly compared to my new beastie!).

With regards to the 7-14 I am a bit loathed to remove that slide on lens cap and expose that monsterous 'eye' to the elements and start shooting. I remember seeing a demo version of this lens a couple of years ago with a small chip in the front element and it almost made me cry! It would be interesting to know what impact this would have had on the image, although I am not in a hurry to find out using mine :eek:

I was also tempted at Focus to get a larger camera bag (you can never have too many can you? ;)) to accommodate the newbie and the Lowepro Vertex 200 AW was going for 99 at Jacobs with the similarly sized Pro Runner for about 20 less. However, I seldom take all my kit out with me and I was glad to find that all my gear (less the E-500, 14-45, and OM lenses) just about fit in my old Nova 5 AW. If I had got ANOTHER bag I am sure that the wife would have gone ape!

I will start a thread sometime to find out if the number of bags that I have is about average for us Oly users or do we have more, or less.

theMusicMan 11th March 2010 12:55 PM

Hehe... I know what you mean Dave.

I've also just bagged myself (excuse the pun) a nice ND110 filter, so this is all ready tucked up in the camera bag for the weekend to be coupled with my 11-22mm - when a mate from work has offered to take me out into the deepest darkest parts of the Neath valley somewhere. Not been that far west (except for Carreg Cenen Castle) for some time.

dj69 11th March 2010 07:22 PM

I see on you tube Lee are developing a filter holder for the nikon 14-24 which has a similar build as the 7-14. Might be a possibility that it could work on the 7-14

andym 11th March 2010 07:39 PM

This must be the most widely owned SHG lens.Lots of people on here seem to have it.

Wouldn't be without it.*yes

benvendetta 11th March 2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andym (Post 67725)
This must be the most widely owned SHG lens.Lots of people on here seem to have it.

That would appear to be the case as it is the most 'affordable' ;)

It is the only SHG lens that I actually need. Although the others are really nice I could never justify the cost.
Isn't it great that we can now hire them *yes

David M 12th March 2010 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj69 (Post 67722)
I see on you tube Lee are developing a filter holder for the nikon 14-24 which has a similar build as the 7-14. Might be a possibility that it could work on the 7-14

Now that would be interesting, I've given up trying to hold filters in front of the 7-14.

DerekW 12th March 2010 09:07 AM

I find the 7-14mm lens very useful in art galleries to take pictures of the pictures (this is in countries and towns where it is allowed) The lens gives a better view whereas the 12-60mm gives a bit of distortion at the widest setting.

The very wide angle enables me to get in front of the other viewers while they are listening to their audio guides.

It also gives good total gallery views as well.

benvendetta 12th March 2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M (Post 67765)
Now that would be interesting, I've given up trying to hold filters in front of the 7-14.

I wonder if one could make one based on the slide-on lens cap?

David M 13th March 2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benvendetta (Post 67818)
I wonder if one could make one based on the slide-on lens cap?

Actually Cokin make a universal ring for their X-pro series that has screw clamps that may work. I've just never got around to checking it out;

http://www.cokin.com/ico15/ico15-haut.html?=#x

sapper 13th March 2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andym (Post 67725)

Pardon my ignorance but wot is a SHG lens?

skyman1 13th March 2010 03:38 PM

i think SHG = super high grade

I have just got my new 70-300mm from Kerso I well recommended him spot on,email him for prices :kerso1123 at msn.com paid bank transfer Thursday afternoon posted Friday arrived Saturday 249 with a free Hoya digital UV filter
but wouldnt you know it the little beggers have not been near our bird feeders since it arrived :(

andym 13th March 2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyman1 (Post 67880)

:(

Spot on.*chr

sapper 13th March 2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyman1 (Post 67880)

I have just got my new 70-300mm from Kerso I well recommended him spot on,email him for prices :kerso1123 at msn.com paid bank transfer Thursday afternoon posted Friday arrived Saturday 249 with a free Hoya digital UV filter
but wouldnt you know it the little beggers have not been near our bird feeders since it arrived :(

Ahhh, of course.

Typical of the little blighters.

oly_om 13th March 2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 67887)
Ahhh, of course.

Typical of the little blighters.

Aka Top-Pro...

The 35-100 is next on the hit list.... Just finished paying off the 300...

skyman1 13th March 2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benvendetta (Post 67519)
This is a lens that I have been lusting after for a while and I consider it a bargain - .

Hi Dave just in case you have missed/forgot about this

E-System lenses included in the Olympus Lens Cashback Promotion: Amount of cashback
Wide-Angle Lenses
1428mm (equiv. to 35mm)
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 714mm 1:4.0 Super Wide-Angle Zoom
Dust and splash proof
70,-

so even more of a bargain if you send off for the 70 :D
Regards
Mick

benvendetta 13th March 2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyman1 (Post 67898)
Hi Dave just in case you have missed/forgot about this

E-System lenses included in the Olympus Lens Cashback Promotion: Amount of cashback
Wide-Angle Lenses
1428mm (equiv. to 35mm)
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 714mm 1:4.0 Super Wide-Angle Zoom
Dust and splash proof
70,-

so even more of a bargain if you send off for the 70 :D
Regards
Mick

I knew that there was a promotion on but didn't think this lens was included. Thank you so much for this info *chr
I have just had a frantic search for the receipt...........made sure when I got back from Focus that it wasn't in the Jacobs bag for the wife to find it ;)
I hope that I will still get the cashback even though I got the lens for a great price. A 7-14 ZD for 929 - bargain or what? *yes

Zuiko 13th March 2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benvendetta (Post 67907)
I knew that there was a promotion on but didn't think this lens was included. Thank you so much for this info *chr
I have just had a frantic search for the receipt...........made sure when I got back from Focus that it wasn't in the Jacobs bag for the wife to find it ;)
I hope that I will still get the cashback even though I got the lens for a great price. A 7-14 ZD for 929 - bargain or what? *yes

Definite bargain - your wife should be congratulating you on your astute financial sense; just look how much you'ved saved! :D

donmcmahan 17th March 2010 08:21 PM

you definitely still need the 11-22. the 7-14 is too big and too specialized to just have with you while out shooting, the 11-22 being wide to normal and a manageable size is quite useful as a walking around lens, then again you could become a dedicated ultra-wide shooter and never take it off your camera, what do I know?;)

theMusicMan 17th March 2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donmcmahan (Post 68258)
you definitely still need the 11-22. the 7-14 is too big and too specialized to just have with you while out shooting, the 11-22 being wide to normal and a manageable size is quite useful as a walking around lens, then again you could become a dedicated ultra-wide shooter and never take it off your camera, what do I know?;)

Bit like me then... :)

benvendetta 17th March 2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donmcmahan (Post 68258)

I can see me using it a great deal for a while and then settling down. I agree that the 11-22 is a great walkaround lens and not at all large IMO. I will definetly keep it despite having all its focal lengths elsewhere.

BTW we had a potential new member at our club tonight and he shoots with an E-420. If he joins then I will cease to be the sole Oly user.:)