Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Telephoto (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   70-300 lens hood (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5695)

baldyb 15th June 2009 09:46 AM

70-300 lens hood

The lens hood on my new 70-300 is a tight fit and when I tried to remove it yesterday I unexpectedly pulled the lens barrel out about a cm, making a whirring, slightly clicking sound.

The lens still seems to focus ok and retracts fully when I turn the camera off but I'm still worried I might have damaged the mechanism in some way.

Any advice or reassurance would be welcome. I certainly don't intend to use the hood again!

Thanks in advance, Kevin

*chr

dbutch 15th June 2009 10:15 AM

Re: 70-300 lens hood

Hi

I think that this part of the design of the 70-300 is a weakness, I don't believe you will do any harm but there are a couple of things that I now do.

1/ zoom the lens out so you can hold the barrel when fitting/removing

2/ when storing in reverse don't look it in place just push on and a slight turn then into camera bag.

I have heard a couple of reports of problems with focus motors ref this lens on web so I guess it is something to think about

Dave

EH1 15th June 2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldyb (Post 45320)
The lens hood on my new 70-300 is a tight fit and when I tried to remove it yesterday I unexpectedly pulled the lens barrel out about a cm, making a whirring, slightly clicking sound.

The lens still seems to focus ok and retracts fully when I turn the camera off but I'm still worried I might have damaged the mechanism in some way.

Any advice or reassurance would be welcome. I certainly don't intend to use the hood again!

Thanks in advance, Kevin

*chr

If its working ok now then I don`t think you have anything to worry about;)

Pete Riley 15th June 2009 12:48 PM

Mine does that and has done for over a year. I have had no probs so I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Jonesgj 15th June 2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Riley (Post 45324)
Mine does that and has done for over a year. I have had no probs so I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Me too... no problems so far; touch wood!

Regards

Graydon

Ken Lister 15th June 2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldyb (Post 45320)

Thanks in advance, Kevin

*chr

You can always leave the lens in MF mode when not in use, This avoids inadvertently stressing the focus mechanism. I have seen this advice given somewhere for Sigma lenses.

baldyb 15th June 2009 10:12 PM

Thanks for that, everybody.
I'll sleep better tonight knowing I haven't broken it.
:D
Kevin

Archphoto 16th June 2009 12:11 AM

Most zooms are designed to slide in when pushed on the sunhood, so don't worry.
My 40-150 does the same when pushed gently, acutaly I am glad it does as it protects against anything breaking in the zoom mechanism this way.

Peter

meach 25th January 2010 08:25 AM

I know I'm a bit late with this but I obviously experience the same disconcerting noise whenever I remove the lens hood from it's storage position, so I've developed the following solution:

1. Before attaching the lens to the camera stand it upright on a flat surface.
2. With my left hand I grip the lens cap and push down reasonably firmly.
3. Remove lens hood with my right hand - noise free.

After use either do the same after removing camera from lens or zoom right out and remove the hood before detaching the lens from the camera - attach it in its storage position after removing from camera else you'll get the same problem but the other way round.

Hope this helps - it certainly makes me feel better!!