Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Spending a day testing the E-M1 II in Spain this weekend (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43315)

Ian 3rd November 2016 10:09 PM

Spending a day testing the E-M1 II in Spain this weekend

As some of you already know, journalists are being shuttled into the picturesque town of Ronda (not Rhondda!), which is an hour or so west of Malaga and in a mountainous and wild region of southern Spain. It's the turn of the Brits on Saturday (7AM flight from Gatwick, lovely) and I believe we'll be photographing birds of prey and some other wildlife. Anyway, we'll be outside and using E-M1 IIs representative of production quality.

I'm minded to bring a 50-200 SWD and a 35-100 f/2 in order to do some Four Thirds lens testing. I'm quite sure they will have 40-150 Pros and the 300 f/4 available to use as well as the new 25 f/1.2, etc.

As usual, I'm keen to represent you at events like this so if there is anything you would like me to try, check, or ask, please let me know :)

Ian

pdk42 3rd November 2016 10:37 PM

Re: Spending a day testing the E-M1 II in Spain this weekend

I'd be keen to see a raw file from a long exposure shot (45s or more) to check for long exposure noise. Shot without dark frame subtraction ideally.

Ian 3rd November 2016 10:46 PM

I will be bringing an E-M1 Mark 1 so can do back to back comparisons.

Ian

Zuiko 3rd November 2016 10:56 PM

Nice work if you can get it, even if it does mean getting up at silly o' clock to catch the plane! :D

Looking forward to your report. :)

Olybirder 3rd November 2016 11:00 PM

I am sure it will be covered anyway but I would be interested to hear how the CAF works with a subject such as a bird moving against a busy background, rather than plain sky.

I would also like to hear how effective the new cross-type AF points are. I frequently have problems focusing on a bird against a background with strong vertical elements (railings, reeds, grass etc.)

Enjoy yourself Ian.

Ron

Wee man 3rd November 2016 11:25 PM

As above, have a good time.
I would like to see the same shots with a 4/3 lens set up ( both Olympus and Sigma ) of a bird in flight against trees, reeds etc.

Think I am out of the market for some time at least until a large price drop but would like to get real world comments.

Ed.

DerekW 3rd November 2016 11:31 PM

I wonder if they will re-enact the throwing of rebels off the bridge into the Gorge. It would be a good test of CAF, low light action etc

RogerMac 4th November 2016 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekW (Post 397483)
I wonder if they will re-enact the throwing of rebels off the bridge into the Gorge. It would be a good test of CAF, low light action etc

EOS Rebel T6s for example?

Ian 4th November 2016 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 397477)
Nice work if you can get it, even if it does mean getting up at silly o' clock to catch the plane! :D

Looking forward to your report. :)

To bed tonight by 20.30 and 03.30 out of bed to leave by 04.00 :( Thinking I should have booked a hotel near Gatwick...

Ian

Ian 4th November 2016 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wee man (Post 397480)
As above, have a good time.
I would like to see the same shots with a 4/3 lens set up ( both Olympus and Sigma ) of a bird in flight against trees, reeds etc.

Think I am out of the market for some time at least until a large price drop but would like to get real world comments.

Ed.

Sadly, I don't have any Sigma lenses.

Ian

Ian 4th November 2016 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekW (Post 397483)

They have ordered a consignment of American Canons just for this :D :) :eek: :rolleyes:

Ian

Ross the fiddler 4th November 2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 397497)
They have ordered a consignment of American Canons just for this :D :) :eek: :rolleyes:

Ian

That I would like to see! *laugh

Gwyver 4th November 2016 11:07 AM

Ian,
Please will you try out the in-body AF Limiter feature and let us know how this works and if it is useful?
Thanks.

Ian 4th November 2016 12:18 PM

Nice. Thunderstorms forecast for the Ronda area tomorrow. I ordered a new waterproof jacket as my old one is falling to bits. Collecting it today. Looks like I might have to invest in over-trousers as well :(

Ian

Bengeo 4th November 2016 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwyver (Post 397525)
Please will you try out the in-body AF Limiter feature and let us know how this works and if it is useful?

If possible, please could you test it on a lens with a focus limit switch like the 300/4 and see if it works if the lens switch is set to full. The manual is not clear on this:

"AF Limiter is not available in the following cases.
- When the focus limiter is enabled on the lens."

It would be handy to limit the close focus to 10 or 15 metres.