Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M5 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Three camera test. (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45302)

Pistnbroke 15th June 2017 12:56 PM

Three camera test.

I ordered the 40 -150 r lens ..very cheap only 99 from Toby Deals and it focuses fast ..that's good.
I had access to a Sony R10 /3 camera so I tested a D7100 with Sigma 300mm F4 Olympus M5 with the 40-150 and the R10 . all at f8 within 5 min on the same target.

D7100 /300 f4 superbly sharp as always particularly as it was at F8..its usually superb at f4 also.
Oly M5 @ 150mm the images were indistinguishable from the D7100 so that's good but remember the pixel pitch is the same as the 7100 and of course you cannot use it at f4. Teleconverter not practical to use

Sony R10...Total rubbish not even worth turning the camera ON.

so all you olly lovers are now all proud and happy .....

Graham_of_Rainham 15th June 2017 01:28 PM

Re: Three camera test.

This is somewhat reminiscent of things I would do with film cameras...

The tests were often done on very long lenses, which when digital arrived had so much value that we were virtually locked into the one manufacturer.

However, I would sometimes put my pictures, from my Olympus kit, in with the ones from kit costing a great deal more. No one ever said they were any less quality images.

Which is why I stuck with Olympus and now have great kit which is so much lighter and compact.

*chr

Zuiko 15th June 2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke (Post 417367)

Well yes, but I do wonder about your testing methods. It's good to hear that a budget zoom performs as well at the long end as a fairly expensive prime, but that just shouldn't happen! However, if you say it does then we'll take it as a bonus. :)

Pistnbroke 15th June 2017 04:25 PM

A 20 year old Sigma F4 is an expensive prime ??? I think not ..
I will do some test on 24 mm on a D810 and 12mm on the m5 then I think we shall see some difference ....
Zuiko ..try not to be so negative and acid ,moderators are neutral ..I know, I am one elsewhere.
We have had two administrator comment ..why dont you hang back and let the ordinary member comment ??/

Greytop 15th June 2017 05:55 PM

Good to hear you're satisfied with your OMD E-M5 & budget lenses now.
Next time you take some test/comparison shots it would be good to see them ;)

Zuiko 15th June 2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke (Post 417383)
A 20 year old Sigma F4 is an expensive prime ??? I think not ..
I will do some test on 24 mm on a D810 and 12mm on the m5 then I think we shall see some difference ....
Zuiko ..try not to be so negative and acid ,moderators are neutral ..I know, I am one elsewhere.
We have had two administrator comment ..why dont you hang back and let the ordinary member comment ??/

I look forward to a comparison of 24mm D810 v 12mm M5 and I will certainly be surprised if we don't see a difference! Some pictures would be great. :)

I'm sure the "ordinary members" will comment if they want to - they don't normally let me stop them. :D However, they are all into politics at the moment......:rolleyes:

PeterBirder 15th June 2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke (Post 417367)

We always were.;)

If I recall correctly you were the one that was unhappy.

Reading between the lines I detect that you are now unhappy to have been proved wrong.*shrug

Phill D 15th June 2017 11:06 PM

As a confused ordinary member of this forum maybe you'd like to explain what you hoped to get out of such a strange comparison? A 1" bridge camera vs a m4/3s sensor with a budget zoom lens vs a crop sensor Nikon D7100 with an ancient but pretty good prime lens.....?

Pistnbroke 16th June 2017 07:42 AM

Not strange at all ..I know the 300 f4 will produce great bird photos (usually with a 1.4) and so far it has proved better than the Tam 150-600. So as the Nikons stay chained in the boot when in france I wondered if the Oly would make a grab and go if I saw birds as I cruise the byways...looks like its worth a shot ....The Sony has the 600mm equivalent lens so also could be useful but its not ..focus and exposure dont seem to be able to cope.
Photos on here you will never get ..I had too much trouble with people using some Google image finder then messing with my business website and facebook pages.

Greytop 16th June 2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke (Post 417459)
Photos on here you will never get ..I had too much trouble with people using some Google image finder then messing with my business website and facebook pages.

So why not upload to the image space here or FLICKR for example?
Thereby no connection with your 'business' site to get concerned with.... very simple and straightforward.
Show us your images :D

Zuiko 16th June 2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greytop (Post 417460)
So why not upload to the image space here or FLICKR for example?
Thereby no connection with your 'business' site to get concerned with.... very simple and straightforward.
Show us your images :D

I think what he is saying is that someone used Image Search to make the connection and traced his business site that way. It's a pretty mean trick and he must have really antagonised somebody for them to go to that trouble. The simple answer is not to put pictures that you share on sites like this on your business site, so there is no connection to make. I sometimes use Image Search to keep track of how and where my pictures are being used. There is one in particular that seems to be a favourite for Far East photography students to use in their portfolios. I don't know how they get on if they need to produce a print from the low res image.....:confused:

Phill D 16th June 2017 09:08 AM

OK that comparison makes sense now thanks for the explanation. I'm sure the Oly combination would make a good cheap grab and go set-up.
Sorry you had hacking problems from sharing images sounds a pain on a commercial site. I'm not surprised you are reticent to post images. However some comparison shots such as those you must have taken here I doubt you'd use on your commercial site and are hardly likely to be able to do much harm are they?

Pistnbroke 16th June 2017 01:04 PM

Well Phill all my cameras have my details embedded in case of theft and so it comes in the edif data.
My experience was that someone asked a wedding related question ..I knew the answer but waited about 3 days to let others answer ..no one did so I posted 2 photos to illustrate the solution . The OP was pleased the clique on the site went crazy ..they looked foolish at not having the answer...photos were ripped off my site .commented on out of context and stupidity put on facebook which needed removing ...NEVER again...
The site I like best is nikon rumors ..they have no clique just regular users and a moderator who is not all out to defend the brand .
I analyse posters like this ....if there is a question which requires you to poke the menu to answer and you get silence then those in the clique dont actually have the camera and just re iterate .....how can someone post say 3000 times in a couple of years and know what they are on about ..not possible .I only talk about lenses and cameras I own.
I dont care if I get banned ,does not degrade my knowledge but I think we have a clique here .

Zuiko 16th June 2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke (Post 417504)
Well Phill all my cameras have my details embedded in case of theft and so it comes in the edif data.
My experience was that someone asked a wedding related question ..I knew the answer but waited about 3 days to let others answer ..no one did so I posted 2 photos to illustrate the solution . The OP was pleased the clique on the site went crazy ..they looked foolish at not having the answer...photos were ripped off my site .commented on out of context and stupidity put on facebook which needed removing ...NEVER again...
The site I like best is nikon rumors ..they have no clique just regular users and a moderator who is not all out to defend the brand .
I analyse posters like this ....if there is a question which requires you to poke the menu to answer and you get silence then those in the clique dont actually have the camera and just re iterate .....how can someone post say 3000 times in a couple of years and know what they are on about ..not possible .I only talk about lenses and cameras I own.
I dont care if I get banned ,does not degrade my knowledge but I think we have a clique here .

I accept your reasoning not to post pictures but this is always going to undermine your credibility to make comparisons between cameras. I'm not sure why you think there is a clique here, we are a relatively small site and don't have room for cliques. However, if you define a clique as a group of people who disagree with you, then I'm sure that you must have far greater experience of cliques than I do. :)

Ian 16th June 2017 05:25 PM

As the owner of this site, over more than ten years since it was started, I and others, including John (Zuiko) have tried extremely hard to steer discussions away from pointless brand and system rivalries. We have very rarely banned members (apart from spammers) - probably less than 5 and they were given as much rope as possible before they hanged themselves.

We welcome users of other systems here as long as they are respectful members. If there are unfounded accusations of members being part of a clique and of inappropriate conduct of a much-respected moderator, then of course I'm going to be concerned.

As far as I can see, the OP started this thread with good intentions but has been rather unhelpful in subsequence response to the perfectly reasonable responses of others.

I'm sure we can all agree to be agreeable once more and to focus on the technical points raised.

My own contribution is: the budget 40-150 f/4-5.6 is a sharp lens and focuses fast but it's not going to be a great lens (and neither is the E-M5 (Mark 1 or 2)) for bird in flight photography because the camera doesn't have phase detect focusing. For BIF you really need the E-M1 Mark II. The E-M5 does actually have a slightly smaller pixel pitch than a D7100. If you are ready to be impressed, do have a go with the 40-150 Pro; that's a very sharp and very fast focusing lens and is f/2.8 through the zoom range. The matched MC-14 converter works brilliantly with this lens as well.

Ian