Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Foto Fair (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Babs's (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50480)

Dave in Wales 1st May 2019 12:56 PM

Babs's
 
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...23937863_b.jpgL1030007-1 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Ricoh 1st May 2019 01:08 PM

Re: Babs's
 
3:2, so am I right to assume this is the Leica kit in action?

How do you think it compare to the Olympus kit you had (you were in the process of trading it in for a Leica lens, IIRC)?

pdk42 1st May 2019 09:01 PM

Re: Babs's
 
Nice to see the apostrophe being correctly used!! :)

Ricoh 1st May 2019 10:59 PM

Re: Babs's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 479773)
Nice to see the apostrophe being correctly used!! :)

Not only the apostrophe. I spy an unnecessary 'S'.

Dave in Wales 2nd May 2019 05:27 AM

Re: Babs's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 479761)
3:2, so am I right to assume this is the Leica kit in action?

How do you think it compare to the Olympus kit you had (you were in the process of trading it in for a Leica lens, IIRC)?

Yes, it's the Leica, I still find the 4:3 format to be the most pleasing and crop when necessary. The camera only offers one format and that's 3:2 which I can find a bit long and skinny, especially for portraits.

As for how I think it compares.......I could go on at length, but I wont.

Leica CL/18-56...Superb, I'm loving it. Simplicity itself, something that Fred Flintstone would love and understand. It just takes pictures, b****y good pictures, tis a joy to take out and use.
No IS, there's a novelty, but I can set a minimum shutter speed.....back to basics and it works.

I'm eagerly awaiting the Leica 55-135, PX'd all my Oly gear for it as you say.

With the price of the Lenses, two will have to be my lot....28-84 and 80-200....in old money.

It's very difficult to compare directly....Oly, technical wizardry with all the bells and whistles.

Leica, simplicity, tradition with no bells and whistles.

SOOC JPG's are a dream and something I have noticed is that in A,S or P mode the camera seems to retains base ISO(100) for far longer than my Oly did, but this is where it starts to loose me.

It's the simplicity I love.

Ricoh 2nd May 2019 07:10 AM

Re: Babs's
 
Thanks Dave, I think you've summed up well, and similarly for me it's why I enjoy using the M240 RF - a simple basic set up, no technical wizardry, just a camera with distance, time, aperture and iso settings.
Leica glass, as you've found out, is eye-waveringly expensive, but with the RF system there are alternatives such as Zeiss, Voigt, Nikon, Canon and a few more. Plus the ability to couple LTM using an adapter.

Dave in Wales 2nd May 2019 01:17 PM

Re: Babs's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 479789)
Leica glass, as you've found out, is eye-waveringly expensive, but with the RF system there are alternatives such as Zeiss, Voigt, Nikon, Canon and a few more. Plus the ability to couple LTM using an adapter.

With a Leica M-L adapter costing 300 and M lenses a fortune, I'm later on, going to search out a cheaper option, Fotodiox adapter etc.

I'm still very much a newbie remember, could you please explain the RF system.

RF=Range Finder ??????

It's a whole 'new world' of photography, and very interesting, idiosyncratic of course.

Just this minute taken a call from Park Cameras......my 55-135 is being dispatched today.

Dave in Wales 2nd May 2019 01:26 PM

Re: Babs's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 479773)
Nice to see the apostrophe being correctly used!! :)

You need a new handle.....'Apostrophe Paul' :p

pdk42 2nd May 2019 01:47 PM

Re: Babs's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 479778)
Not only the apostrophe. I spy an unnecessary 'S'.

Possibly. Maybe she calls herself Babs though, in which case all is fine.

Otto 2nd May 2019 02:35 PM

Re: Babs's
 
The Apostophe Protection Society can help :).

Olybirder 2nd May 2019 02:59 PM

Re: Babs's
 
On the assumption that it is an eating establishment run by Babs, I think that either Babs' or Babs's is acceptable. I am sure this discussion is exactly what Dave had in mind when he posted the image. ;)

Ron

pdk42 2nd May 2019 03:52 PM

Re: Babs's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olybirder (Post 479821)
On the assumption that it is an eating establishment run by Babs, I think that either Babs' or Babs's is acceptable. I am sure this discussion is exactly what Dave had in mind when he posted the image. ;)

Ron

I suspect Dave's sole reason for taking the shot was to enable discussion on use of the apostrophe.

So far as the correct usage here is concerned, if her name is indeed Babs, then surely it has to be Babs's. Putting an apostrophe alone on the end of a word is to indicate the possessive of a plural - which this definitely is not.

So...

The Jones family live at number 35.
The Joneses own a black Peugeot.
The Joneses' house is made of brick.
Mr Jones's wife is called Jessica (NB, I don't think "Mr Jones' wife is called Jessica" is a proper variant).

Olybirder 2nd May 2019 04:18 PM

Re: Babs's
 
I have to concede you are correct Paul. If only she had been considerate enough to call it Barbara's it would have been much simpler :)

Ron.

Jim Ford 2nd May 2019 04:45 PM

Re: Babs's
 
I would think that the owner is called 'Barbara' in which case the familiar is often 'Babs'. The place is hers, therefore 'Babs's is valid as it means 'The place in the possession of Babs (Barbara)'.

I think that the above clears it up once and for all!

Jim

Dave in Wales 2nd May 2019 05:23 PM

Re: Babs's
 
This site is sickening me, sod you all, I'm off.

Please explain what I've done to offend anyone, all I did was buy a Leica.

It's(was) a terrific site but ruined by the few, the so-called hierarchy, the in crowd, those who fit, the clique, the apostrophe basher etc, need I go on.

If it's possible to resign, then I resign, and gladly.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:29 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger