Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   New territory for me - E-M1 shutter stuck! (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51382)

Ian 9th September 2019 09:16 AM

New territory for me - E-M1 shutter stuck!

I've had dozens of Olympus DSLRs and mirrorless cameras and this is the very first time I have experienced a stuck shutter.

Yesterday, Julia told me she would like to brush-up on her photography, so I charged a battery up for my one remaining Mark 1 E-M1 and handed it over. This morning, after taking one shot, the viewfinder remained black; the shutter is stuck.

I suspect this will be a shutter replacement job. Obviously no warranty, so I thought I'd consult the hive mind of the e-group here to help me decide on the next step; send to Olympus (Portugal) or Luton cameras - or any other option?

Looking forward to your responses :)

Ian

MJ224 9th September 2019 10:21 AM

Re: New territory for me - E-M1 shutter stuck!

It seems to be a not uncommon failure with Olympus cameras. Don't know they compare to other brands though.

I sent my EPL-5 to Olympus, good service and cost 90 about 4 years ago.

The Luton people seem to have a good reputation...………..:)

Bikie John 9th September 2019 10:35 AM

I can vouch for Luton (not recently though) and since they are just up the road from you why not pop in and see them? I always found them knowledgeable and helpful. If you have a spare hour you can enjoy the scenic delights of Luton. Then you will only have a spare 59 minutes left.

John

alfbranch 9th September 2019 11:17 AM

When this happened to mine I had done at Olympus cheaper than Luton under 100 with new rubber grips too.

https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44736

My E-M511 shutter also failed late last year.

Wildwood 9th September 2019 04:33 PM

I had the shutter stick on my EM-1 mk 1. Fortunately it freed up by taking the lens off and then gently tapping the shutter (I bought the camera 2nd hand so it's of unknown vintage). Had it stick a few times after that, which I could fix with a sharp tap to the side of the body. Now I just the electronic shutter instead.

Ian 9th September 2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 489448)
I had the shutter stick on my EM-1 mk 1. Fortunately it freed up by taking the lens off and then gently tapping the shutter (I bought the camera 2nd hand so it's of unknown vintage). Had it stick a few times after that, which I could fix with a sharp tap to the side of the body. Now I just the electronic shutter instead.

Interesting - I may well, gently, try that :D

Ian

MJ224 9th September 2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 489451)

Ian

Percussive maintenance they call it.....*chr

MikeOxon 9th September 2019 07:43 PM

Mine stuck and didn't respond to 'percussive maintenance' It was repaired by Olympus as just within its extended warranty. I then part-exchanged it for a Mk.ii - no problems with that, so far ...

alfbranch 9th September 2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 489448)

Well thats not a suitable solution for me as the shutter speed range is too limiting.

Ian 10th September 2019 08:20 AM

This morning the shutter had unstuck itself. However, it does stick again. The gentle tap suggestion works, too.

I also tried different shutter speeds and those only above the X sync speed, when the curtains no longer open fully during the exposure, cause the shutter to stick.

Ian

AMc 10th September 2019 09:40 AM

If it's been sitting unused for a long time it might be worth running a series of continuous bursts to see if it frees up?

MJ224 10th September 2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMc (Post 489474)
If it's been sitting unused for a long time it might be worth running a series of continuous bursts to see if it frees up?

Or just bite the bullet and get it repaired.....*chr

Ross the fiddler 10th September 2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 489451)

Ian

If unsuccessful the first time, try a bigger hammer! ;) :D

In all seriousness, I hope a little physical encouragement helps.

*chr

Jim Ford 10th September 2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikie John (Post 489440)
I can vouch for Luton (not recently though) and since they are just up the road from you why not pop in and see them? I always found them knowledgeable and helpful. If you have a spare hour you can enjoy the scenic delights of Luton. Then you will only have a spare 59 minutes left.

John

After visiting Luton, go on for a few miles to the tiny village of Hexton (on the road to Hitchin). There's a delightful tea room there. We sometimes travel from Watford just to go to visit it.

http://www.lavendertearoomhexton.co.uk/

The nearby Pegston Hills are attractive, and in the season have many orchids, including the nationally scarce Burnt Orchid, and also Pasque Flowers. Sharpenhoe Clappers is also scenic and again is good for Pasque Flowers.

Jim

Ian 10th September 2019 11:24 AM

After more experimentation, it does seem that the shutter sticking is intermittent.

A can shoot a continuous sequence successfully until the last frame, which records normally but the shutter can, but not always, remain closed after the last exposure. It doesn't actually matter what the shutter speed is (so my observation that it was only fast shutter speeds that caused the sticking was just coincidental).

It's rather fascinating really :) My suspicion is that there is some dirt in the mechanism rather than a broken mechanism.

I'm sure I will waste a lot of time tinkering...

Ian