Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   For sale or wanted small ads (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   For sale FT Olympus 7-14mm f4.0 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40493)

David Gethin 13th December 2015 06:49 PM

FT Olympus 7-14mm f4.0
 
I am migrating over time to a mFT set up so I am looking to find new homes for some of my old lenses which I do not find I am using with the adapter or which I will look to replace with a mFT equivalent.

Olympus 7-14mm f4.0
Lens in unmarked condition but there are a few marks on the lid from where I dropped it on a nighttime shoot on barrier defences near Reculver fort. I was actually very lucky to retrieve it from the boulders.
All original packaging, lens pouch, lens hood and both lens caps included.
550.00 incl RMSD within the UK. Please PM for shipping price if outside the UK.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/661/2...569b88f1_z.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5821/...3faee604_z.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5815/...d8d33947_z.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/723/2...942c63e1_z.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/622/2...b8408c03_z.jpg
Damage to the bottom of the lid just to the right of the Z of Zuiko.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5762/...7a6b9506_z.jpg
Damage to the top of the lid at approximately 8 o'clock

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/732/2...168317f0_z.jpg
Damage to the top of the lid at approximately 8 o'clock

Full sized versions of those above can be found by clicking on the photo and then going to the flickr album.

Thanks for looking, David

hotbath1962 13th December 2015 10:50 PM

Re: FT Olympus 7-14mm f4.0
 
Nice lens. Am in a similar position and thinking of selling mine and moving to the m43 version. Been watching prices. One went for 330 on eBay last week and another unsold on 400. Your price might be a stretch, but good luck.

benvendetta 17th December 2015 12:20 PM

Re: FT Olympus 7-14mm f4.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotbath1962 (Post 369511)
Nice lens. Am in a similar position and thinking of selling mine and moving to the m43 version. Been watching prices. One went for 330 on eBay last week and another unsold on 400. Your price might be a stretch, but good luck.

To be honest if that is what they are going for now, why not carry on using it? A new m43rds version is double that price and the quality is no better apparently. Yes, there is the weight and bulk with the MMF3 but as mine is not used much I can put up with this (it certainly makes a statement of intent, LOL!).
I would rather spend the 400 plus difference on additional glass.

mikeb 18th December 2015 01:59 AM

Re: FT Olympus 7-14mm f4.0
 
A 4/3 35-100mm lens sold on ebay auction for just over 400 recently, and that included an MMF-1 adaptor!

Bruce Clarke 19th December 2015 02:18 AM

Re: FT Olympus 7-14mm f4.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by benvendetta (Post 369948)
To be honest if that is what they are going for now, why not carry on using it? A new m43rds version is double that price and the quality is no better apparently. Yes, there is the weight and bulk with the MMF3 but as mine is not used much I can put up with this (it certainly makes a statement of intent, LOL!).
I would rather spend the 400 plus difference on additional glass.

I'm inclined to agree Dave. I tried the new f2.8 7-14 back to back with my old f4 in a quick test outside a shop, and reckoned the corners were softer generally on the f2.8. Wielding the old beastie also creates a sense of occasion too!

drmarkf 19th December 2015 09:49 AM

Re: FT Olympus 7-14mm f4.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke (Post 370162)
I'm inclined to agree Dave. I tried the new f2.8 7-14 back to back with my old f4 in a quick test outside a shop, and reckoned the corners were softer generally on the f2.8. Wielding the old beastie also creates a sense of occasion too!

Yes, I think that's right: the corners of the new one are slightly soft at full aperture. It looks uniformly amazingly sharp to me from around 2/3 stop down across the frame, though, especially for so wide a lens.

Bruce Clarke 19th December 2015 12:10 PM

Re: FT Olympus 7-14mm f4.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarkf (Post 370196)
Yes, I think that's right: the corners of the new one are slightly soft at full aperture. It looks uniformly amazingly sharp to me from around 2/3 stop down across the frame, though, especially for so wide a lens.

The one I tried seemed softer at the corners through the whole range, but it may have been a bad copy, and it wasn't a totally scientific test. It was enough to put me off wanting to change for now.

drmarkf 19th December 2015 04:32 PM

Re: FT Olympus 7-14mm f4.0
 
There's bound to be some variation I suppose, in a piece that contains hand-made glass elements..

I hadn't looked acrefully at Gordon Laing's review before, but I've just had a squint and subjectively I'd say my copy was slightly softer than his in the corners at f2.8 at 7mm, but a tad sharper at narrower focal lengths:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ol...harpness.shtml

Mine does noticeably improve one click before f4.0 at 7mm: it's pretty irrelevant for me, though, since although almost all my use is at 7mm, I mostly use it for landscapes or in buildings on a tripod around f5.6.

I agree with him about it being a lot less prone to flare than the panny 7-14. That was my main reason for switching from that compact little number - the purple meanies were starting to annoy me.

As I've said before, what I'd really have liked was a nice, compact 5/6/7mm f4 prime in the Pro series, but I can probably sing for that!

digi2ap 12th May 2016 05:07 PM

Re: FT Olympus 7-14mm f4.0
 
Rather late to enquire but is the lens still available?

David Gethin 14th May 2016 10:37 AM

Re: FT Olympus 7-14mm f4.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by digi2ap (Post 385733)
Rather late to enquire but is the lens still available?

Yes it is. I have been in no rush to sell as for the very helpful comments given above I would not sell just to buy the m4/3 equivalent.

digi2ap 19th May 2016 08:40 PM

Re: FT Olympus 7-14mm f4.0
 
Thanks David - rather slow to reply of me but will send you a PM.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:41 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger