Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lens focus (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   HELP! 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro lens (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35151)

Chris Hall 23rd October 2014 10:21 AM

40-150mm f/2.8 Pro lens

I keep getting different release dates for this new lens. Amazon UK are telling me December 6 and Park Cameras 'mid to late November'. I emailed Olympus UK and have just received the following reply:

"Thank you for your e-mail enquiry regarding your 40-150mm Pro lens.

The only information i have on the release date at the moment is that the 40-150mm pro lens will be available towards the end of December.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Chris Dale
European Customer Support Centre

Tel:
00800 6710 8400 (General enquiries)
00800 6710 8300 (Technical enquiries)"

Does anyone know which of these is likely to be correct? I'm presuming the Olympus UK one!

stevewestern 23rd October 2014 11:37 AM

Re: 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro lens

I can't help you Chris, but have to say that I find it slightly odd that a big company can faff around so much with getting a product released, and putting back the release date can only damage their reputation and possibly cost them sales..
My 40-150 lens fund was doing pretty well but delays mean that it will no doubt get eaten into by other things.

OlyPaul 23rd October 2014 11:55 AM

From the Japanese Olympus site yesterday make of it what you will after the Translation but there is no mention of a release date.

Quote:

Apology of delivery delay
Telephoto zoom lens that complies released November 29, 2014 in the "Micro Four Thirds System standard," "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F2.8PRO" and, teleconverter for "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 1.4x Teleconverter MC-14" , because we have received your reservation customers too much of, the customers part, after the release, there is a case where I get time to deliver the product.

It started our customers have gotten wait for the product, you can put you a great deal of inconvenience to our relationship, deeply apologize.

Ki

About Delivery schedule
Of the customers who have received a reservation already, the customers part, you might not be able to deliver to the Release Date. In addition, the customers who booked the future, because it will be delivered sequentially, there is a case to get time to deliver product. To be able to deliver as soon as possible, so we have made extensive efforts, We would like to ask for your understanding.

Product to be delivered delay
"M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO"
"M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO" 1.4x teleconverter Kit
"M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 1.4x Teleconverter MC-14"

benvendetta 23rd October 2014 11:58 AM

It has been reported on other sites that it will be available from the end of November due to exceptionally high demand. Which may not be good news for those that have ordered it, but brilliant news for Olympus. Me, I want to wait to compare it to my 50-200 before committing such a high spend.

Gwyver 23rd October 2014 04:34 PM

Having worked closely with a leading Japanese technology firm more many years in my former life, I think Paul's translation of the Olympus Japan statement means:
  1. We had promised deliveries of this lens will start from 29/11/2014.
  2. Unfortunately we will miss that release date
    and, because of the large demand, the order backlog for customers who haven't been allocated stock from the initial production batch will be longer than expected.
  3. Humble apologies. Please stick with us.

I hope that my interpretation is proven to be wrong.

George Dorn 23rd October 2014 05:04 PM

Delays on supply of an excellent new Olympus product, eh?

I shan't be holding my breath ;)

Greytop 24th October 2014 08:49 PM

Looks like I'll delay putting my 35-100 up for sale for a while longer.

Zuiko 25th October 2014 12:49 AM

One day Olympus will realize how popular they are becoming and make more than half a dozen for initial release! :rolleyes:

Bikie John 25th October 2014 08:53 AM

I am a bit puzzled. Why does high demand mean that early orders will be delayed? Fair enough, those later in the queue may have to wait longer because the queue is longer than expected. But surely the first lot should roll out on schedule?

John

Greytop 25th October 2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikie John (Post 316428)
I am a bit puzzled. Why does high demand mean that early orders will be delayed? Fair enough, those later in the queue may have to wait longer because the queue is longer than expected. But surely the first lot should roll out on schedule?

John

I all I can surmise is that its a more general than specific statement/apology/warning.

Zuiko 25th October 2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

John

An excellent point, but maybe they received an avalanche of orders Worldwide from the very start, making it impossible to prioritise who should get the first ten copies of this lens. :D

I wish I knew where people got the money. :rolleyes:

Ross the fiddler 25th October 2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

John

Maybe because a larger volume production run requires more preparation time (components, tooling & staff), so it is better to delay the initial smaller volume production run to start a higher volume run a little later than first expected. In that light more lenses will likely be produced by January with that larger volume production line than had it continued as it was. Make a few early pre-orders unhappy to make many more happy expecting it soon too. :rolleyes:

OK, I'll stop waffling. :o

David M 25th October 2014 12:04 PM

Maybe field testers have found an issue that needs to be resolved. Better that than early adopters screaming about problems all over the web.

Gwyver 25th October 2014 04:43 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if Olympus shipped a voucher in all the initial (pre-shipment) orders of this lens which their patient/loyal customers could use to claim one of the matching ZERO coated 72mm lens filters? *chr

birdboy 25th October 2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M (Post 316449)
Maybe field testers have found an issue that needs to be resolved. Better that than early adopters screaming about problems all over the web.

If the truth is known I think David's comment to be closer to the mark. The EM1 was delayed and look at the problems of lockups and black dots that had when it first came out. This lens was promised a year ago and Oly sales would have had a really good indication from their dealers as to the likely demand for the lens. I let my dealer know I wanted one but because of the delays I have got something else so my 'allocation' has been vacated. There must be many others like me so I doubt very much if the delay is caused by demand.