Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus E-30 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   A new board for E-A1 prototype discussion (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3308)

Ian 17th October 2008 11:14 AM

A new board for E-A1 prototype discussion

I should have set this up at Photokina, of course. But better late than never. :D

Ian

StephenL 17th October 2008 11:19 AM

Re: A new board for E-A1 prototype discussion

Might be a good idea, Ian, if you could recap first just what we do know about this forthcoming camera...

HughofBardfield 17th October 2008 11:58 AM

Or see DPReview for several volumes of speculation about what we don't know! :D

StephenL 17th October 2008 12:18 PM

I usually only visit the DPR forums these days if I want to watch a good fight *whack

Ian 17th October 2008 12:30 PM

I have had to delete Jucca's post in this thread because although it contained a publicly available press release, it also contained material from other websites, including pictures.

Please don't re-publish material from other sites here without the necessary permissions.

Thanks,

Ian

jucca 17th October 2008 12:39 PM

OK, sorry :(

Ian 17th October 2008 01:00 PM

Well my observations are:

Larger than an E-520, obviously styled like an E-3.

Front and rear command wheels.

Same USB connector as an E-420/520 to accommodate video and data signals. E-3 has separate ports.

Plastic construction rather than thixo alloy mouldings.

Mode dial instead of E-3's button/adjust arrangement.

Full-size top-plate status LCD.

Articulating LCD - not sure if it's a 2.7 inch or 3 inch panel.

Question marks:

Will it have a power grip? I certainly hope so, but there is evidence to suggest that Olympus got its hands burned with the E-300 grip, which was not a popular accessory.

Will the E-A1 have the same or similar E-3 style large view TTL finder? It really does need a larger view than afforded by the E-420 and E-520.

Sensor? Logically, it should get a development of the 12MP Live MOS sensor used in the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Micro Four Thirds body. This does seem to have improved low light high ISO characteristics.

AF - It would be logical for Olympus to use the 11-point AF system developed for the E-3. The earlier 3-point system would be very inadequate for a model of the E-A1's pretensions.

Weather sealing? Again, seems logical, but we just don't know.

Is likely to have live view AF, just like the E-420 and 520, including face detection, which I would welcome.

HD movie recording? Nikon has benefitted from the marketing value of HD with the D90. Something Olympus will only be too aware of.

Any other speculation? Over to you :)

Ian

StephenL 17th October 2008 02:02 PM

I agree with your "wish list/question marks", Ian, with the following exceptions/additions:
Power grip - I have dallied with grips in the Canon range and ended up selling them. I find it makes a camera too cumbersome without, for me, any real benefits. I accept that others may like this feature, therefore make it an option but don't design the camera so as you "need" one.
Movie mode - not interested. If I want to record videos I'll buy a camcorder.
Viewfinder - large viewfinder is a MUST! No discussion!
Card type - drop the xD slot. I would accept SD, even as an out-and-out replacement for CF.
Remote release - wireless, operated from anywhere around the camera, not just in front.
RAW - PLEASE do not add yet another variation on ORF. Why not try to standardise?

Wreckdiver 17th October 2008 04:24 PM

I would like to see:
  • 12MP Live MOS sensor
  • 3" (min) LCD t-up
  • Liveview AF (compatible with the 7-14mm and 12-60mm SWD lenses) t-up
  • 11 point (min) AF
  • Mode dial on top - please Oly, no more menu mode selection t-dwn
  • Manual MF/AFC/AFS switch like the E-1 (AF+MF can be on menus)
  • Large 100% TTL viewfinder t-up
  • Remove the xD slot and have 2 CF slots

Not interested in:
  • Video/Movie function
  • Scene modes
  • Articulating LCD - just make a big static one
  • Power grip
  • Face detection

Then I just want Ikelite to make an UW housing for it - they have made one for just about every Oly DSLR so far. If it meets the above spec I will definitely be buying one as it would be the perfect underwater camera.

Steve

Invicta 17th October 2008 05:15 PM

• 14-bit depth raw files is a must. Olympus are looking really pedestrian now with only 12-bit depth.
  • An inbuilt GPS would be a real wow factor.
  • Bigger, higher resolution articulating LCD would be nice.
  • Anything less than the E-3 quality 100% viewfinder would be a real turn-off.

shenstone 17th October 2008 05:18 PM

I agree with just about all of Steve's points with the possible exception of the movie mode - My other half has a lumix bridge camera that has a 1/4 decent video mode and it's proven very useful on a couple of occasions to grab a few seconds of movement to include in a slideshow

It wouldn't be a deciding factor for me, but if if was there I may use it

Regards
Andy

Ian 29th October 2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invicta (Post 27555)
  • 14-bit depth raw files is a must. Olympus are looking really pedestrian now with only 12-bit depth.
  • An inbuilt GPS would be a real wow factor.
  • Bigger, higher resolution articulating LCD would be nice.
  • Anything less than the E-3 quality 100% viewfinder would be a real turn-off.

I'm not that sure 14-bit is a big must. In other words I'm not sure that sensors have a good enough signal to noise ratio to make 14-bit conversion worthwhile. It also slows the camera down.

I had a look at Geotate's GPS solutions at Photokina and they are impressive. Their technology is being sold as a camera add-on in Jobo product.

Ian

dbutch 29th October 2008 12:08 PM

From one of the Photokina pictures I saw of the base of the camera it looked like it had a removeable battery cover similar to my E-1, so I would say a grip is likely.

As for wants! just the best image quality they can muster to compliment the lenses.

Dave

timg 29th October 2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 27525)
HD movie recording? Nikon has benefitted from the marketing value of HD with the D90. Something Olympus will only be too aware of.

Considering Oly were such a long way ahead of the field with LiveView I'm amazed they haven't introduced this already... I'm not really a fan of video but to have it as an option would be great.

Before my 510 I used the C770UZ which had a movie mode and when I was travelling there were a few instances where I was really glad it did... as much as it pains me to say there are some instances where video is preferable! :D