Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Camera conference (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Panny GH3 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24428)

Greytop 29th November 2012 01:28 PM

Panny GH3

This camera is looking to be a pretty capable tool, I kind of like that it's a little larger than the E-M5 but still not huge.
Looks well built too and with the same (rumoured) sensor as the E-M5 plus an impressive video capability it's shaping up very nicely.

Anybody tempted? Anybody with one on order?

Jetset95 29th November 2012 02:19 PM

Re: Panny GH3

No, and as a previous Lumix G owner I got a message about a great cashback offer for the new body and kits, but they're still too darn expensive for me. I wanted to take great photos, the OM-D does that for me, so I don't need to pay more for the great video. I got a good deal on the OM-D used so didn't have to pay 999 just for the body, if I was spending that much money I'd have waited for the GH3 to see which one felt better, but at almost half that cost I'm glad I got the OM-D

Rawcoll 29th November 2012 03:49 PM

Well if you got a good deal on the OMD I can see why you plumped for the Oly. However, if you want to compare like for like then I think that the GH3 should be compared against the OMD with part 1 of its battery grip. Pricewise there is little difference between the GH3's lead in price and the OMD with grip (nor much size difference for that matter). And if the sensor is the same I think the choice really comes down to brand allegiance and/or feature set, even ignoring video capabilities.

Jetset95 29th November 2012 05:01 PM

You're right - but I got a great price on the OM-D - I don't think I'd pay the full price for it, not that it's not worth it but its out of my price range at full price. I was very lucky.

StephenL 29th November 2012 05:09 PM

The Pannys don't have in-body stabilisation, but I will be the first to admit that their on-body controls are very well thought out. However, the G3 and GH2 which I owned both felt a little "creaky". Not as well-built as the E-M5.

Greytop 29th November 2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawcoll (Post 201969)
Well if you got a good deal on the OMD I can see why you plumped for the Oly. However, if you want to compare like for like then I think that the GH3 should be compared against the OMD with part 1 of its battery grip. Pricewise there is little difference between the GH3's lead in price and the OMD with grip (nor much size difference for that matter). And if the sensor is the same I think the choice really comes down to brand allegiance and/or feature set, even ignoring video capabilities.

Agreed, without the half grip I find the EM-5 to just a touch on the small side, mind you still pretty useful if you want to go minimal and very light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenL (Post 201982)
The Pannys don't have in-body stabilisation, but I will be the first to admit that their on-body controls are very well thought out. However, the G3 and GH2 which I owned both felt a little "creaky". Not as well-built as the E-M5.

Looks like the GH3 is a real tangible step up in build quality to the previous Lumix bodies. Much in the vein of the E-1, 3 and 5 by the looks of things.