Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Events (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lakes district late June, (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21053)

Kiwi Paul 12th June 2012 10:42 PM

Lakes district late June,

I'm contemplating a trip to the Lake District and possibly Yorkshire Dales area the end of this month.
I'm intending taking a week off work and heading off on Sat 23 June, absolutely no plans just an ad-hoc trip, I'll take my tent and Roz my dog and play it by ear.
If anyone is interested in meeting up at any stage let me know and I'll see what I can arrange.
If anyone has any tips of places to go, things to see etc I'm all ears (well all eyes lol).

Paul

catkins 13th June 2012 10:01 PM

Re: Lakes district late June,

Well, all I can say is . . . get over to Seaham to the walk there on Sun 24th!! Itinery: Seaham, Durham Dales, Eden valley, Lake District sounds a nice route :D
No big mountains, no lakes that I can remember, certainly no interesting slate caverns at Seaham, but you may find a few Oly enthusiasts!

If you give a few hints to what types of interest you are looking for in the Lakes I will try to add a few ideas - are you interested in bagging mountains or out for a few good views, interesting photo ops and a relaxing cup of organic tea on a hotel terrace?

Regards
Chris

Kiwi Paul 14th June 2012 07:50 AM

Hi Chris,
So what is the Seaham event, is this an organised tour?

I'm not into mountain bagging as Roz is too old for that now, but a few walks, good views and good photo ops are definitely things I want to do / see. I'm also partial to a pint or 2 in a nice bar etc, a good view never goes astray while enjoying a pint either.

Paul

meach 14th June 2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 171388)
Hi Chris,
So what is the Seaham event, is this an organised tour?

See this thread:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20181

ndl0071 14th June 2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 171142)
If anyone has any tips of places to go, things to see etc I'm all ears (well all eyes lol).

Paul

Hi Paul

Tons of info here, I know one of the contributors (photographic) so it's bound to be good:D

www.lakedistrictaccomodation.com and/or www.wordsworthcountry.com

Have a great time.

Kiwi Paul 14th June 2012 01:35 PM

Thanks Neil

Paul

catkins 14th June 2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofmix (Post 171388)

I'm not into mountain bagging as Roz is too old for that now, but a few walks, good views and good photo ops are definitely things I want to do / see. I'm also partial to a pint or 2 in a nice bar etc, a good view never goes astray while enjoying a pint either.

Paul

For a few good walk and scenic options, Borrowdale (near Keswick) is always one of my favourites - nice walks along the river between Grange and Rosthwaite can be made into a circuit that includes the not too dizzy heights of Castle Crag, or a circuit that includes Watendlath (lovely hamlet and tarn) and Lodore Falls (which can be extended to see Ashness Bridge and the views from the nearby crag that overlooks Derwentwater), or a walk through the ancient semi-natural Johnny Wood up to Seatoller, the wettest place in England I believe! Nearby is the dramatic steep road up to Honister Pass and its slate caverns or a walk from there up to Fleetwith Pike and its views over Buttermere/Crummock Water.
The walkers bar at the hotel in Rosthwaite is good for a pint if in the area, nice Cornish Pasties shop in Keswick for your packed lunch, and plenty of outdoor gear for any type of weather!
Also from Keswick a nice low level walk is along the old railway line towards Threkeld and back via the small hill of Lattrigg through the woods - some good views over Derwentwater. Nearby is the stone circle of Castlerigg.
There are quite a few good cafes and walkers bars in Keswick area, and east of Threkeld is Scales with the White Swan pub which a few years ago I seem to remember did good value meals.

If you like exploring caves and holes in the ground, take some good torches and head over to the Coniston / Tilberthwaite area - be very wary of exploring the Coniston copper mines as they are dangerous without expert guides but Tilberthwaite has some good huge holes in the ground at Holme Ground and Cathedral cavern near Little Langdale.

And that's just the start of the ideas!!

Regards
Chris