Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Looking for improvement (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   HELP - Which One Says "Abstract?" (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29484)

Zuiko 9th October 2013 10:24 PM

Re: HELP - Which One Says "Abstract?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterBirder (Post 255981)
That looks good to me John.

Regards.*chr

ps. I nearly said I like it but I'm now afraid that I could be misunderstood.:confused::D

A good, old-fashioned "thank you" Peter. :)

benvendetta 9th October 2013 10:35 PM

2 and 4 fit the bill and I would choose 4. No doubt there will be liberal interpretations of the theme. We had a Heritage comp at my club tonight and you should have seen some of the entries. If you have to put the word heritage in the title the image cant be very strong in the first place.

The Saint 19th October 2013 07:55 AM

John

I'm no expert in the field, but what you have done in that last reincarnation works as abstract for me quiet nicely, based upon what I've learnt from our public artwork artists (yes when you build something in London now you have include a piece of bizarre art somewhere for the publics eye!)

This is obviously dependant on the judges view which is hard to tell (might be anti-PP)?

Simon

Phill D 19th October 2013 08:10 AM

That last one works for me too. It just makes me want smile for some reason?

The Saint 19th October 2013 10:59 AM

Phill

You have probably hit the nail on the head here with abstracts, it's not the technical skill or quality if the image, but the message it conveys and the emotions it invokes.

John I know this image has developed following the comments here, so does the image still tell a story now?

Simon

Zuiko 19th October 2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saint (Post 258060)
Phill

You have probably hit the nail on the head here with abstracts, it's not the technical skill or quality if the image, but the message it conveys and the emotions it invokes.

John I know this image has developed following the comments here, so does the image still tell a story now?

Simon

I've got a few days before I have to submit and to be honest I'm still undecided. The way the image has developed, it is now undoubtably abstract, but it largely the product of pp and bears little resemblance to what was conceived in the viewfinder and recorded in the camera. However, the original and the other pictures are not abstract enough, which makes me think that in reality I haven't got anything strong enough and withih the brief. I'll put something in, though, if only for the experience.

Lee 19th October 2013 07:11 PM

I seem to recall from my art classes that abstract art was something that isolated a piece of a whole as a compostion in its own right, but that composition did not have to have a basis in reality. It's all right, I'm no Brian Sewell!!
Your chosen image, photoshopped or not, admirably fits the bill. Stick it in, what have got to lose?

Cathrine Stephansen 22nd October 2013 10:00 AM

No. 2 for me too.

How about cutting away everything that shows that it is water reflection, so you just have the middle section?

Cathrine Stephansen 22nd October 2013 10:09 AM

I gave it a go, using the original water reflections

[IMG]http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1..._crop_idea.jpg[/IMG]

I've included a little bit too much at the top and maybe also at the bottom, to provide you with a visual reference of the crop. You might want to take just a little bit more, just to avoid the darker stripes at the top and the larger field of flat water in the lower left.

Zuiko 22nd October 2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathrine Spikkerud (Post 258630)
I gave it a go, using the original water reflections

[IMG]http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1..._crop_idea.jpg[/IMG]

I've included a little bit too much at the top and maybe also at the bottom, to provide you with a visual reference of the crop. You might want to take just a little bit more, just to avoid the darker stripes at the top and the larger field of flat water in the lower left.

Thanks Cathrine, that is certainly more in keeping with what was originally produced in the camera. :)

Cathrine Stephansen 22nd October 2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 258637)
Thanks Cathrine, that is certainly more in keeping with what was originally produced in the camera. :)

You're welcome. I was thinking that would look rather good on my wall! *chr