Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Corroson on my EM1.1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47432)

benvendetta 14th March 2018 01:57 PM

Corroson on my EM1.1

I touched on this in another thread but my black 1.1 has developed areas of corrosion in various locations including the toggle switch at the back. I know that I have had the camera since it was launched but I would expect to have corrosion on it. And no, it hasn't been exposed to the elements any more than normal and I keep in in a large Lowepro backpack. There were corrosion issues with some of the OM film cameras (I had an OM1 that was affected badly) but I am surprised it still happens.

I intend to get the camera cleaned at the NEC on Sunday so I will ask as to the reasons why this should happen.

Has anyone else come across this and should I be concerned about it?

Phill D 14th March 2018 02:21 PM

Re: Corroson on my EM1.1

My old E1 suffered a bit on the outer case. Still works fine though, although not pressed into action very often these days.

peak4 14th March 2018 08:49 PM

Several of mine do show similar signs: I assumed it was due to salt from sweat, from when I've been to hot countries.

Also beware of insect repellents containing DEET, as it seems to act as a paint stripper and glue softener.

Keith-369 14th March 2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peak4 (Post 442619)
Several of mine do show similar signs: I assumed it was due to salt from sweat, from when I've been to hot countries.

Also beware of insect repellents containing DEET, as it seems to act as a paint stripper and glue softener.

A very good point indeed. Deet/insect repellents should be allowed nowhere near anything you value. And always keep the stuff in zip-loc bag of sufficient strength/thickness in case of leaks. It WILL harm certain plastics/finishes. *chr

peak4 15th March 2018 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith-369 (Post 442621)
A very good point indeed. Deet/insect repellents should be allowed nowhere near anything you value. And always keep the stuff in zip-loc bag of sufficient strength/thickness in case of leaks. It WILL harm certain plastics/finishes. *chr

Indeed, the last time I was obliged to use it in any quantity was wandering round a Peruvian jungle.
It softened the paint on my E-M1, so it wore through on the edges, and melted the glue holding the Minox badge on my binoculars.
Unfortunately the combination of paint stripper, and me sweating like a pig, has left the camera looking slightly well used.

For those into climbing, keep it well away from the ropes, or use something like Mosquito Milk, which is pretty effective and based on geranium oil.

alfbranch 18th March 2018 11:44 PM

I would have thought mine would be quite bad with all the sea water spray it seen its time but its OK though it did have new rubber fitted when the shutter failed.

bredman 19th March 2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peak4 (Post 442619)

A few weeks ago i noticed white crusts along several areas of my em1.1 body seams. The battery grip is fine, and inside the camera battery compartment is all ok. However, on the left of the pentaprism around the evf dioptre dial it's pretty bad, as is around the base of the camera, particularly around the delete button and the rear of the lcd. There are smaller specks of crustyness pretty much all over. I wiped them off best i could and now already it's back and seems to be getting worse. I assumed it was sweat. My em1 has seen little rain and no chemical repellant and has had the grip on constantly which still looks like new. I've not used this camera in the last 6 months except for the occasional switch on and off and it has been stored in the warm and dry.

Something to worry about i think.

benvendetta 19th March 2018 06:16 PM

Sounds exactly like mine although a bit worse, eek!

DavyG 19th March 2018 09:28 PM

I would think the E-M1's may still be covered by warranty depending on when they were bought/registered with Olympus.

It may be worth trying to return them under warranty.

I'd be interested to hear how Olympus respond.

Dave.

Jim Ford 20th March 2018 09:47 AM

If there is incomplete contact between two metal parts in conjunctions with dampness, you can get electrolytic corrosion occurring at the joint face. Great efforts are made in the aerospace industry to avoid this by bonding across joints and carrying out bonding tests to make sure there is no potential difference (PD) across metallic joints.

Jim

Ricoh 20th March 2018 05:36 PM

In such applications ^ it pays to design using materials that are close in the electropotential series, and to buffer if widely different, and practical.
Requirement specs normally stipulate the maximum potential gradient permissible. Design is not as easy as it seems!

Jim Ford 20th March 2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 443179)
In such applications ^ it pays to design using materials that are close in the electropotential series, and to buffer if widely different, and practical.
Requirement specs normally stipulate the maximum potential gradient permissible. Design is not as easy as it seems!

In an airframe the problem is exacerbated because during operation it 'cuts' the Earth's magnetic field, which causes circulating electric currents to be generated.

Jim

benvendetta 21st March 2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavyG (Post 443122)
I would think the E-M1's may still be covered by warranty depending on when they were bought/registered with Olympus.

It may be worth trying to return them under warranty.

I'd be interested to hear how Olympus respond.

Dave.

Mine is well out of warranty as I bought it on its release in 2013. It still works fine but the corrosion will obviously affect its resale value should I want to upgrade.