Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Camera conference (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   HELP! Which mirror-less camera to purchase? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31518)

jamaljan 12th February 2014 04:57 PM

Which mirror-less camera to purchase?

Hello

I'm looking for a camera basically for taking pictures and videos of my little girl.

I'm looking for the following options/features in the camera:

-fast AF (required for shooting children?)
-IBIS (I read image stabilization is a good option, though am not aware of its technical aspects in dept)
-good internal mic (for video recording)
-LCD which can rotate to 180 degree for self-shots
-viewfinder (is there an advantage to it? I think LCD would work well for shooting children?)
-good battery life

My budget is approximately 800-900 usd to purchase camera + fast aperture lens + filter. I read somewhere that the basic function of a filter is to protect the camera lens from dust etc, is that correct? If not, then I might not invest in it and just go with the camera cover which comes by default.

Please note that the camera prices are higher here in Pakistan, canít get them imported from amazon. For example am getting the EPL5 here after discount for around 570usd where as its available for 480usd on amazon.

benvendetta 12th February 2014 05:09 PM

Re: Which mirror-less camera to purchase?

The E-PL5 is very good and I have one. It is very good for stills and pretty good for video (although I haven't used it in this mode very much). I use it with the 12-50 zoom which is quite versatile but not fast (fast equals expensive!). If you want a fast zoom, your budget will be too low (the new 12-40 is great but will swallow your budget in one go). I would go for the
E-PL5 plus either the 17mm f1.8 or the new 'standard' 25mm f1.8. Both are supposed to be great lenses although I have neither (I fancy the former though for street photography).

Rawcoll 12th February 2014 07:26 PM

I think finding something with a fully articulating screen and IBIS is going to be a problem. Panasonics tend to be the better for video, and something like the G6 has a fully articulating screen but no IBIS, the GX7 has IBIS but not an artic. screen! The recent Oly's don't have a fully artic. screens so far as I'm aware.

jamaljan 12th February 2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawcoll (Post 278922)
I think finding something with a fully articulating screen and IBIS is going to be a problem. Panasonics tend to be the better for video, and something like the G6 has a fully articulating screen but no IBIS, the GX7 has IBIS but not an artic. screen! The recent Oly's don't have a fully artic. screens so far as I'm aware.

Lumix GX7 is available for around 1470usd here so its out of my budget... BTW whats a articulating screen? :confused:

benvendetta 12th February 2014 07:58 PM

The EPL5 can do self portraits.

Rawcoll 12th February 2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamaljan (Post 278924)
BTW whats a articulating screen? :confused:

A screen which is fully hinged so that it can be turned to face the front of the camera (i.e. 180į), which I believe you wanted in order to take self portraits. Otherwise, at best they can face up or down, but not forwards.

Rawcoll 12th February 2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benvendetta (Post 278932)
The EPL5 can do self portraits.

Apologies, so it can!

jamaljan 13th February 2014 06:53 AM

hi...

I've 2 questions, if someone can please answer them:

- which lens should I purchase with it EPL5? should I go with the default 14-42mm?
- can I use lenses from other companies like lets say canon dslr lenses by using an adopter with this EPL5

benvendetta 13th February 2014 09:15 AM

The price with the kit lens won't be a great deal more than the body alone. It will be ok for video but for stills it is a bit slow. Get a 17mm or the new 25mm at the same time and you will be around your budget, or so.

Ian 13th February 2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benvendetta (Post 278890)
The E-PL5 is very good and I have one. It is very good for stills and pretty good for video (although I haven't used it in this mode very much). I use it with the 12-50 zoom which is quite versatile but not fast (fast equals expensive!). If you want a fast zoom, your budget will be too low (the new 12-40 is great but will swallow your budget in one go). I would go for the
E-PL5 plus either the 17mm f1.8 or the new 'standard' 25mm f1.8. Both are supposed to be great lenses although I have neither (I fancy the former though for street photography).

Just to qualify what Dave says - by 'fast' he means 'bright' - with a fast aperture or wide aperture. All the recent lenses from both Olympus and Panasonic focus very quickly and quietly.

Ian

Ian 13th February 2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawcoll (Post 278922)

The E-PL5 screen can be tilted up so you can see it from the front of the camera - it's the only Olympus MFT model that can do this.

I think the E-PL5 is the ideal choice for the OP.

Ian

Ian 13th February 2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benvendetta (Post 279012)
The price with the kit lens won't be a great deal more than the body alone. It will be ok for video but for stills it is a bit slow. Get a 17mm or the new 25mm at the same time and you will be around your budget, or so.

I disagree, Dave, for the kind of use required in this case the 14-42 kit lens serves the purpose perfectly. I don't really recommend the 17mm pancake as its focus motor is audibly noisy as well as slow and I'm not a fan of its image quality. The 17mm f/1.8 is a completely different proposition and one of my all time favourites!

Ian

Ian 13th February 2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamaljan (Post 278999)
hi...

I've 2 questions, if someone can please answer them:

- which lens should I purchase with it EPL5? should I go with the default 14-42mm?
- can I use lenses from other companies like lets say canon dslr lenses by using an adopter with this EPL5

I would start with the default 14-42; it's an extremely good value lens and very versatile.

You can use many other makes of lenses outside of the native Panasonic, Sigma, Olympus (and a few others) Micro Four Thirds lenses via adapters although you won't have AF and you need to be able to manually control the aperture (some lenses don't let you).

Ian

jamaljan 13th February 2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 279022)
I disagree, Dave, for the kind of use required in this case the 14-42 kit lens serves the purpose perfectly. I don't really recommend the 17mm pancake as its focus motor is audibly noisy as well as slow and I'm not a fan of its image quality. The 17mm f/1.8 is a completely different proposition and one of my all time favourites!

Ian

Thanks Ian, someone else on a flickr forum recommended that I should get a faster lens too like f/1.8...Do you think its absolutely necessary? Is its performance better then the default lens (14-42mm)

Quote:

I think that regardless of which system you buy into, you should be almost immediately looking to invest in a "faster" lens and by that I mean a lens with a maximum aperture of f/2 or faster (i.e.: f/1.8, f/1.7, f/1.4, etc with each of these being faster than the previous).

benvendetta 13th February 2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 279022)

Ian

Fair point Ian. You know more about these things than me. I find the 12-50 good for video due to the zoom motor. Might be worth considering and it has a greater range. The 17mm or 25mm will good for stills of course.