Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Telephoto (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Nikon announces development of 800mm 'super' tele (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21648)

Ian 12th July 2012 09:48 AM

Nikon announces development of 800mm 'super' tele

Nikon has today announced the development (not release) of an 800mm f/5.6 super telephoto for its F-mount DSLRs.

Sounds impressive. But of course with Olympus and Four Thirds you can have a lens more powerful and brighter and much less heavy and bulky by combining a Zuiko Digital 300mm f/2.8 with a Zuiko Digital EC-14 1.4x converter. This results in a 420mm f/4 lens which equates to a 840mm f/4 lens in terms of full frame field of view. If you want to go mad you can use an EC-20 2x converter and this equates to a 1200mm f/5.6.

And of course you can hire the 300 2.8 and EC converters from this site's hire service and it's more affordable and straightforward than you might think! See:

http://e-group.uk.net/hire

Ian

Zuiko 12th July 2012 12:47 PM

Re: Nikon announces development of 800mm 'super' tele

Typical Nikon, lagging behind the curve as usual! :D

P.S. Will it come with a trolly? *laugh

Ross the fiddler 12th July 2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 175997)
Typical Nikon, lagging behind the curve as usual! :D

Ah John! I found you again having your bit of fun. ;)

Zuiko 12th July 2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 176004)
Ah John! I found you again having your bit of fun. ;)

I must be on form today! :D

Olybirder 12th July 2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 175997)

I think it should come with a subscription to BUPA. ;)

Didn't Sigma make their 300-800 zoom in 4/3 mount? I wonder if anybody actually bought one?

Edit. Here it is. What a monster.

Ron

theMusicMan 12th July 2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 176011)
I must be on form today! :D

Together with the fact that you are looking for an OM-D (if I read the forums correctly today), it's good to see you're on form, John.

Now... about updating that blog of yours.... :)

Zuiko 12th July 2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMusicMan (Post 176078)
Together with the fact that you are looking for an OM-D (if I read the forums correctly today), it's good to see you're on form, John.

Now... about updating that blog of yours.... :)

Tentatively looking, John. They're still going for rather more than I'm prepared to pay (it will have to be financed by the sale of my existing kit) but I thought I'd dip a toe in the water.

Yes, it's time I did some more on the blog, there's a piece I'm writing at the momement that I might use. Also, next week (Tuesday to Friday) I'm travelling by train, bus and ferry from London > Inverness > Kyle of Lochalsh > Skye (probably Broadford or Portree) > Mallaig > Fort William > London. Hopefully that will make a good blog entry, with plenty of pictures (I'm taking just the Pen and 14-45mm). :)

theMusicMan 12th July 2012 08:50 PM

Wow, that's some trip you have going on there, John. I bet you are looking forward to it and I am certain you're going to get some superb shots. I look forward to seeing them all.

gregles 12th July 2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 176098)
Yes, it's time I did some more on the blog, there's a piece I'm writing at the momement that I might use. Also, next week (Tuesday to Friday) I'm travelling by train, bus and ferry from London > Inverness > Kyle of Lochalsh > Skye (probably Broadford or Portree) > Mallaig > Fort William > London. Hopefully that will make a good blog entry, with plenty of pictures (I'm taking just the Pen and 14-45mm). :)

Sounds fab John*chr

Enjoy*yes*yes

Zuiko 12th July 2012 09:31 PM

The trip is to celebrate the 50th birthday of a friend who is a bit of a railway enthusiast. There's bound to be a lot of reminicing about the many hillwalking holidays we shared in Scotland in our younger days and maybe the odd whisky or two! *chr

Cathrine Stephansen 12th July 2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olybirder (Post 176012)
I think it should come with a subscription to BUPA. ;)

Didn't Sigma make their 300-800 zoom in 4/3 mount? I wonder if anybody actually bought one?

Edit. Here it is. What a monster.

Ron

Maybe someone bought it - but I bet they couldn't carry it home :D

Cathrine Stephansen 12th July 2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 175970)
Nikon has today announced the development (not release) of an 800mm f/5.6 super telephoto for its F-mount DSLRs.

Sounds impressive. But of course with Olympus and Four Thirds you can have a lens more powerful and brighter and much less heavy and bulky by combining a Zuiko Digital 300mm f/2.8 with a Zuiko Digital EC-14 1.4x converter. This results in a 420mm f/4 lens which equates to a 840mm f/4 lens in terms of full frame field of view. If you want to go mad you can use an EC-20 2x converter and this equates to a 1200mm f/5.6.

And of course you can hire the 300 2.8 and EC converters from this site's hire service and it's more affordable and straightforward than you might think! See:

http://e-group.uk.net/hire

Ian

Ah, yes. So far so good for the Zuiko 4/3 combo...

But in the future, Nikon will still be making bodies for their 800 mm, whereas I don't know what I can use on my 300 mm 2.8 + EC14 when the E5 dies. :mad:

Unless someone would be bothered to tell...

David M 12th July 2012 11:13 PM

Nikon made a manual focus 800mm f/5.6 a couple of decades ago. I used to know a bird photographer who swapped his 600mm for one.

peak4 13th July 2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M (Post 176133)
Nikon made a manual focus 800mm f/5.6 a couple of decades ago. I used to know a bird photographer who swapped his 600mm for one.

Sigma still do make one with a Nikon fit
http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/telephoto/800mm.htm
and then, there's also a 300-800mm F5.6 zoom which used to be available in 4/3s

Having just been to their web site, http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/index.htm they no longer list any lenses for 4/3s at all, only M4/3 :(

David M 13th July 2012 10:18 AM

I used/tested a Sigma 800mm f/5.6 15 to 20 years ago but decided to keep my 600mm f/5.6 as the Sigma was huge and heavy by comparison.