Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Who cares?? (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51147)

Rocknroll59 5th August 2019 08:43 AM

Who cares??

Mmmm....thought we shared values of care about our environment.?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-49225631

Peter

Walti 5th August 2019 08:54 AM

Re: Who cares??

Hypocrisy seems to be built into Humans!

TimP 5th August 2019 09:12 AM

But if we dare to criticise, oh that would be far worse. So yes, as said by Walti, hypocrisy.

Jim Ford 5th August 2019 09:38 AM

I'm not sure if 'Pride' claims to have environmental credentials, so it's just 'normal' human behaviour.

Jim

pdk42 5th August 2019 10:28 AM

Litter dropping is not a sexuality thing so far as I know. I suspect it more closely correlates with social status. Personally, I find it sickening that people treat their environment like a rubbish tip.

TimP 5th August 2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 487050)
Litter dropping is not a sexuality thing so far as I know. I suspect it more closely correlates with social status. Personally, I find it sickening that people treat their environment like a rubbish tip.

Iíve never felt the need for balloons and laughing gas to enhance sex (laughing just happens!!) so why should this be acceptable. The paraphernalia around sex doesnít make it OK to leave it as litter, no litter is acceptable and certainly nothing to be proud about.

Rocknroll59 5th August 2019 12:36 PM

I didn't actually mention sexuality...!! Dropping litter happens whoever whatever you are...its the mass gatherings and compete lack of thought about your actions that was the main point, leaving it also on the beach where it could easily get washed into the sea is disgraceful whoever you are. What about 'pride' with your surroundings?

TimP ....made me smile with that comment.

Peter

Naughty Nigel 5th August 2019 12:50 PM

If this had been a pop festival there would be a public outcry about littering but it seems Pride marches are above criticism for some reason. Likewise the tons of litter left behind after marches by the environmental brigade.

The irony is breathtaking.

TimP 5th August 2019 01:48 PM

Not all festivals leave a mess, friends regularly go to Womad and this year, like last, there was no litter, all picked up as the festival ended, site apparently left virtually pristine.
Does laughing gas and balloons feature in other events / marches though?

Walti 5th August 2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 487067)
Not all festivals leave a mess, friends regularly go to Womad and this year, like last, there was no litter, all picked up as the festival ended, site apparently left virtually pristine.
Does laughing gas and balloons feature in other events / marches though?

The NOx canisters are a major issue at Glastonbury, they employed cleaners to go around with tractor mounted sweeper things for the grass areas and were gathering trailer loads of rubbish that had just been dropped on the floor.

The mess left as people simply walked away from their trashed tents was a real disgrace

Jax 5th August 2019 02:30 PM

Take a look at the town centre where the clubs and bars are, in any major town or city at 2am and it will be just as bad as depicted in Brighton.

England must be one of the dirtiest countries when it comes to litter. Fortunately most Councils employ hard working street cleaners who start at 5.30am so when the public arrive at 9am the place is clean and tidy once again.

Apparently the cost to us all as taxpayers for litter removal is astronomical but who's to blame ? The Public !!

Jax

TimP 5th August 2019 02:56 PM

So what are the legit uses of the stuff? Do you buy it in those containers (the ones I remember for soda symphony type things, also more recently an air pistol I bought to bid farewell to a rat).
What would you fit the container into? (hopefully not a risky question!)

I genuinely have not the foggiest.

Jim Ford 5th August 2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 487072)
So what are the legit uses of the stuff? Do you buy it in those containers (the ones I remember for soda symphony type things, also more recently an air pistol I bought to bid farewell to a rat).
What would you fit the container into? (hopefully not a risky question!)

I genuinely have not the foggiest.

Here you go Tim:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...oxide&_sacat=0

You've got almost 2500 choices of suppliers!

Source your own balloons!

Jim

TimP 5th August 2019 04:03 PM

Seems a bit of a faff when you can already buy whipped cream in an aerosol can - not that I ever have but I’ve seen it.
Methinks we’re missing something here!

pdk42 5th August 2019 08:55 PM

On the litter front, this country is a disgrace. There have been no major public campaigns on litter for at least 30 years so far as I remember. We reap what we sow.

Along with Boris, Brexit and other political cr@p I'm feeling very negative about my own country at the moment. Having just come back from a holiday in New England, where crime is much lower, the streets much cleaner, and living standards generally higher, I'm seeing this little island in a somewhat different, much more negative way. We need to sort our sh1t out!