Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Recent Thread Closure (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50151)

Jax 23rd March 2019 11:26 AM

Recent Thread Closure

It is now over 24 hours since the most recent thread closure. Shenstone stated this was only a temporary measure to allow Admin time to debate.

Are we, as members, going to be given the courtesy of being informed what decision has been reached or is it a case of No Comment and the thread simply to remain closed ?

Jax

Graham_of_Rainham 23rd March 2019 11:44 AM

Re: Recent Thread Closure

We have always been concerned about threads that become “personal”.

While the “Lounge” is available for virtually any discussion and opinions, it’s never nice to see the tone turn negative or even nasty...

Saying things that you would likely not say to someone, face to face, has that huge disadvantage of lacking the body language and expressions that often give a remark a very different slant.

*chr

Bengeo 23rd March 2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax (Post 476129)
..... or is it a case of No Comment and the thread simply to remain closed ?

Hopefully .....

Jax 23rd March 2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham (Post 476130)
We have always been concerned about threads that become “personal”.

While the “Lounge” is available for virtually any discussion and opinions, it’s never nice to see the tone turn negative or even nasty...

Saying things that you would likely not say to someone, face to face, has that huge disadvantage of lacking the body language and expressions that often give a remark a very different slant.

*chr

Very valid comment Graham but unfortunately, with the same skill as a seasoned politician, you have managed to totally avoid the question asked. :)

Jax

Graham_of_Rainham 23rd March 2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax (Post 476132)
Very valid comment Graham but unfortunately, with the same skill as a seasoned politician, you have managed to totally avoid the question asked. :)

Jax

I can’t help but wonder if having any skills of politicians is the ultimate insult... ;)

I do accept your point and will bring it back to attention.

*chr

Jax 23rd March 2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham (Post 476133)
I can’t help but wonder if having any skills of politicians is the ultimate insult... ;)

I do accept your point and will bring it back to attention.

*chr

There was no insult intended Graham although I do agree with you that it could have been considered so :)

Thank you for bringing it back to attention. *chr

Jax

Zuiko 23rd March 2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax (Post 476129)
It is now over 24 hours since the most recent thread closure. Shenstone stated this was only a temporary measure to allow Admin time to debate.

Are we, as members, going to be given the courtesy of being informed what decision has been reached or is it a case of No Comment and the thread simply to remain closed ?

Jax

Unfortunately we do have lives outside the forum and it is not always possible for the four of us to consult each other as quickly as we would like. In this instance Ian has been busy with the Photo Show, editing his pod cast and, I believe, attending a certain demonstration in London today, which is perhaps a more appropriate platform for expressing views on the most topical current affair than a photo forum.

Graham has only just returned from holiday and needs time to get up to date with what's been happening. My 92 year old Mum had a heart operation on Thursday and my wife and son continue to suffer ill health, requiring regular hospital appointments. Oh, and then there is my Parkinson's, which quickly gets out of control when I get any stress. Despite all this Andy, Ian and I have had preliminary discussions on the options available to us, including some form of restricted forum page that would be less strictly moderated but available only on application.

Of course, we could simply tire of all the hassle that political topics cause us and the constant criticism of the way we moderate these threads and adopt a No Politics policy like many other photo forums. So, are you going to allow us time to review our policy in a measured, thoughtful way or not?

Jax 23rd March 2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 476135)
Unfortunately we do have lives outside the forum and it is not always possible for the four of us to consult each other as quickly as we would like. In this instance Ian has been busy with the Photo Show, editing his pod cast and, I believe, attending a certain demonstration in London today, which is perhaps a more appropriate platform for expressing views on the most topical current affair than a photo forum.

Graham has only just returned from holiday and needs time to get up to date with what's been happening. My 92 year old Mum had a heart operation on Thursday and my wife and son continue to suffer ill health, requiring regular hospital appointments. Oh, and then there is my Parkinson's, which quickly gets out of control when I get any stress. Despite all this Andy, Ian and I have had preliminary discussions on the options available to us, including some form of restricted forum page that would be less strictly moderated but available only on application.

Of course, we could simply tire of all the hassle that political topics cause us and the constant criticism of the way we moderate these threads and adopt a No Politics policy like many other photo forums. So, are you going to allow us time to review our policy in a measured, thoughtful way or not?

Jeeez ! Calm down, take a deep breath ! I only asked :D

Jax

Zuiko 23rd March 2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax (Post 476137)
Jeeez ! Calm down, take a deep breath ! I only asked :D

Jax

Thank you for your advice

Bengeo 23rd March 2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

.... adopt a No Politics policy like many other photo forums.

Good idea. Simple to moderate too, just delete anything that breaks the rule.

Darkroom 23rd March 2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengeo (Post 476141)
Good idea. Simple to moderate too, just delete anything that breaks the rule.

As the member who made the original complaint, I think that having a No Politics rule may go some way towards reducing friction but not entirely.

Certain members seem to delight in making aggressive, inconsiderate posts and have a history of doing so, whether the subject is politics or not.

I appreciate as Graham pointed out, in a textual medium instead of face to face, these comments are sometimes mis-interpreted so we can possibly all be guilty occasionally. However, until the members who DO enjoy making aggressive and unsavoury comments either learn restraint or are dealt with by Admin, IMHO the problem will continue.

Maybe as opposed to a closed, application only, political thread, we should create "The Boxing Ring" where these members can vent their spleen, argue, fight, be agressive, just be their normal selves with no restrictions. :)

Darkroom

Darkroom 23rd March 2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

This seems to be a rather unnecessary over reaction by an Administrator to what is a genuine polite basic question from a forum member. :confused:

Darkroom

Graham_of_Rainham 23rd March 2019 01:53 PM

No where near comparison with John, but I was also in hospital yesterday having an operation on my nose...

Now it’s much better looking and shorter so as not to activate the touchscreen :D

Darkroom 23rd March 2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham (Post 476146)
No where near comparison with John, but I was also in hospital yesterday having an operation on my nose...

Now it’s much better looking and shorter so as not to activate the touchscreen :D

That's good news Graham *chr I sincerely hope the operation was not due to an attack of Pinocchioitus :D:D:D

Darkroom

Tram 23rd March 2019 02:15 PM

From my point of view its all harmless handbags at ten paces type stuff.
Happy to repeat anything I've ever written face to face, hardly vile abuse.

By their own admission the vast majority on here are getting on in years a bit.
Bit ironic that some take offense very quickly yet would condemn the younger generation for being over sensitive.

Why not just let things run. what's the worst outcome?
Someone flounces off or gets the sulks, not exactly the end of the world.
After all you can just choose to not look at a particular section or thread