Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus E-30 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   f-stop for sharpest pictures using E-system (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7739)

dkayuk 2nd January 2010 10:16 AM

f-stop for sharpest pictures using E-system

Hi all and happy new year,

my new years resolution is to make some money from microstock & stock photography. I don't have any false expectations (ie that I will make a fortune :) ). A modest income, some beer money would be nice.

My question: If anybody is using Olympus E-? and ZD lenses for microstock (or commercial) PRODUCT photography, what lens do they usually use and does the f stop have to be between f6.3 and f8 for maximum sharpness?

I own the 50mm f2.0 Macro and the Sigma 105mm macro, both of which I will be using for this.

Is the 50-200mm any good for product photography? I like the idea of a blurred background without using Photoshop.

thx

DK

snaarman 2nd January 2010 10:27 AM

Re: f-stop for sharpest pictures using E-system

I don't know how much you believe website lens reviews but this one

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/7

has a little flash pop up window next to each lens that says (tested) next to it. These pop ups show sharpness against zoom and f number. Quite interesting.

As you already knoe the ZD50 macro is mega sharp. This site gives it very best sharpness from f4 to f8 I guess - but it is really good from f2.8 to f 11

Hope that helps..

Pete

Paulpp 2nd January 2010 10:43 AM

Not sure about which f/stop but from experience a lot of stock agencies don't like anything out of focus - overall sharpness is critical. Don't even think of that artistic out of focus branch in the foreground.

Mr Jones 2nd January 2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulpp (Post 61430)
Not sure about which f/stop but from experience a lot of stock agencies don't like anything out of focus - overall sharpness is critical. Don't even think of that artistic out of focus branch in the foreground.

Quoted for the Truth.
If doing any product shots, I personally stick with f8 to f11, depending very much on the focal length. Longer length, higher f number for greater depth of field.

You'll only ever need to blur out background when you're shooting the product outside of say a light box (to keep the focus on the product rather that the fancy messy background). You'll stick somewhere between f4 to f8, again, depending on how long is the focal length and how 'thick' your product is against your messy background.

Ian 2nd January 2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Jones (Post 61435)
Quoted for the Truth.
If doing any product shots, I personally stick with f8 to f11, depending very much on the focal length. Longer length, higher f number for greater depth of field.

You'll only ever need to blur out background when you're shooting the product outside of say a light box (to keep the focus on the product rather that the fancy messy background). You'll stick somewhere between f4 to f8, again, depending on how long is the focal length and how 'thick' your product is against your messy background.

Diffraction softening already sets by f/8, but only really starts to spoil the party at f/11 and f/16 and beyond. But it may be useful to use these small apertures if you need depth of field.

Ian

EH1 2nd January 2010 02:29 PM

I shoot a catalouge for an electrical components wholesale company, which I use the ZD 50mm macro lens @ f16 on a tripod for maximum DOF. :)

photo_owl 2nd January 2010 05:15 PM

ignoring dof issues you will generally find between F5.6 and F8 to deliver the best from the lens although as you go up the range the differences between wide open and 5.6 get smaller!

dkayuk 2nd January 2010 11:53 PM

thx for the replies, much appreciated.

DK