Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Upcoming Exhibition (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51400)

Crazy Dave 14th September 2019 02:46 PM

Upcoming Exhibition

Tuesday, 1 October is going to be a very special day, well for me at least. It’s going to be the opening of my very own exhibition located in the heart of the area where most of my photography takes place. Always interested in urban photography, I started with a conventional candid ‘street’ approach which has now morphed into accosting complete strangers and requesting a photograph. If you are in London and especially the Spitalfields area, why not take a peek? The location is Kahaila Café, 135 Brick Lane, E1 where I’m showing a mix of black & white images and colour for the whole of October. Kahaila is open 7 days a week and more information about it can be found here.

All bar one of the twenty exhibits have been taken with my trusty OM-D-5 mk.1 and I’ll be posting a few in the coming days. The odd one out was taken with my old Nikon D300. If you care to investigate further, many images may be seen on my website

Hope that some will be able to make it.

Cheers

Crazy Dave

drmarkf 14th September 2019 10:01 PM

Re: Upcoming Exhibition

Fantastic!
I’ve got several trips to London for meetings in October, so I’ll definitely be able to go.

Zuiko 15th September 2019 08:24 AM

Good luck Dave, I hope it's a great success. :)

MJ224 15th September 2019 10:03 AM

Good on you Dave. Hope its a great success...………….*chr

Crazy Dave 15th September 2019 02:28 PM

Thanks for the good wishes, very encouraging at this time of great nervousness.

I've had a little thunk and rather than post some of the exhibits on the forum, I've decided to post some of those that didn't quite make the cut. Deciding what to include/exclude was very difficult having had advice from two well qualified friends who happened to disagree on some of the images. Anyhow, this one didn't make it. The subject is Alexis who was working in a tattoo parlour in Hackney. I didn't quite get the gesture I was hoping for and happened to say to Alexis that I found her eyes disconcerting. 'Good", was the response.

When I looked at this image on the computer, I realised that the whites of the eyes had been dyed black. I've since come to the opinion that tattooing is very addictive and when the space has run out, some people opt for body manipulation.

This was taken as part of my tattoo parlour project

Crazy Dave

Bikie John 15th September 2019 07:17 PM

Best of luck Dave. If I go to The Smoke during October I will try and fit in a detour out East.

What you say about the selection process is very interesting. I will certainly look forward to seeing the ones you haven't included - maybe you could put the ones that did make it up after the exhibition has finished?

John

Tram 15th September 2019 08:17 PM

No doubt be watching the O's at some stage in October so will try and get over to have a butchers.
Do they do a breakfast in the caff Dave, need a bite to eat after the journey down

Crazy Dave 16th September 2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tram (Post 489678)
No doubt be watching the O's at some stage in October so will try and get over to have a butchers.
Do they do a breakfast in the caff Dave, need a bite to eat after the journey down

Kahaila does tasty snacks rather than cooked food. If it’s a full English, try Franze and Evans on the corner of Redchurch Street and Swanfield Street, just 2 minutes from Kahaila. In Brick Lane itself, there’s Cereal Killer or if you fancy being with creatives staring into their MacBooks, Albion Cafe also on Redchurch Street has a lively buzz. For sure you won’t go hungry, the area has dozens of places to eat.

David

Jim Ford 17th September 2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Dave (Post 489663)
When I looked at this image on the computer, I realised that the whites of the eyes had been dyed black.

IMO she looks hideous with those eyes. She'd scarcely look worse if her nose had been cut off!

I wonder what precautions the tattooist takes when tattooing eyes? About once a month I go to Moorefields eye hospital for an injection in my right eye. They take quite extreme precautions in ensuring the eye and surrounding area is anaesthetised and sterilised to prevent infection.

Jim

Crazy Dave 22nd September 2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 489807)
IMO she looks hideous with those eyes. She'd scarcely look worse if her nose had been cut off!

I wonder what precautions the tattooist takes when tattooing eyes? About once a month I go to Moorefields eye hospital for an injection in my right eye. They take quite extreme precautions in ensuring the eye and surrounding area is anaesthetised and sterilised to prevent infection.

Jim

Jim, if you are squeamish, stop reading this paragraph and jump to the next. Alexis has an unusual surname so being curious, I did a Google search. There I found a video of a journey by Alexis and her mother to Belgium, the purpose was a procedure to remove the Adam's Apple from her throat. I used to believe that some gender realignment was a fad but it's hard to imagine the emotional pressures that leads someone to undertake such drastic steps. I hope that I'm more understanding now.

Here's another photo that didn't make the cut. This is Mick Taylor, Brick Lane legend sitting as he usually did, outside the famous Beigel Bake shop. I knew him for several years, had some really interesting conversations and got lots of photos. Mick passed away a couple of years ago, I still cannot quite believe that he's gone. I do have another photo of him in the exhibition.

David

Crazy Dave 26th September 2019 03:36 PM

Here's another pic from my tattoo parlour project that isn't going to feature. the subject is Lee and he just pulled down his vest when I asked for a pose.

This is the last that I'm going to upload but today, Black + White Photography magazine (November edition) features a two page spread about the exhibition which is great news for me and the venue which dedicates itself to charitable projects.

David

Jim Ford 26th September 2019 09:58 PM

Tattoos that people had done many years ago always seem to lose much of their definition and just look and indistinct smeary blue. Is there anything in modern tattooing technique or materials that means this won't happen after many years?

Jim

Crazy Dave 27th September 2019 09:13 AM

I don’t know about the durability of inks Jim. Some parlours use inks that are contain no animal products but that’s the sum of my knowledge. At one parlour, I mentioned to one of the artists that I was mildly interested in breaking my tattoo duck but where could I have one that the wife couldn’t see. “That sir, depends on how well you know your wife”.

Can’t argue with that.

David

drmarkf 27th September 2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 490679)
Tattoos that people had done many years ago always seem to lose much of their definition and just look and indistinct smeary blue. Is there anything in modern tattooing technique or materials that means this won't happen after many years?

Jim

I suspect that’s got more to do with the fading skin elasticity and hardening political leanings of many human beings as they age, Jim :D

Sagging flesh, inked now-illegibly with decades old slogans, has got to be one of the saddest eyesores on Costa beaches.

I know a number of plastic and aesthetic surgeons rubbing their hands with glee at the private fees to be earned in the future from removing unwise tattoos, inscribed during the current epidemic. Impossible to remove most of them invisibly, of course.

My advice is, don’t do it.

inkyblue 27th September 2019 11:38 AM

Some great portraits there Dave. Good luck with the exhibition.