Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   E-M1..I've lost the touch screen AF positioning icon. (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37418)

Dave in Wales 22nd April 2015 12:32 PM

E-M1..I've lost the touch screen AF positioning icon.

I'm amazed, I considered that, afer all this time I knew pretty much, all there was to know about E-M1 settings.

BUT, I've lost the touch screen AF positioning, the "four corners of a square with the little hand".
No way can I find to get it back, I have Off, Shutter Release and Magnify On/Off.
I've even resorted to a full reset, with no luck...desperate I am :mad:

Not Firmware V3 is it?

HELP....please.

byegad 22nd April 2015 12:56 PM

Re: E-M1..I've lost the touch screen AF positioning icon.

Hit it with a medium sized hammer???

I suspect you've disabled it somewhere in the menus, I take it you've looked at cog 'Dispaly'?

Dave in Wales 22nd April 2015 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byegad (Post 341216)
Hit it with a medium sized hammer???

I suspect you've disabled it somewhere in the menus, I take it you've looked at cog 'Dispaly'?

I've looked everwhere, there does not seem to be a way of enabling/disabling it.

byegad 22nd April 2015 01:22 PM

There is on the EM10, and EM5. It's one of those items you need to switch on yourself which is why factory reset didn't work.

Ross the fiddler 22nd April 2015 01:33 PM

Hang in there & I'll look up the manual (I'm in bed now).

Ross the fiddler 22nd April 2015 01:39 PM

OK, I'm back. Go to Menu *K Utility & check that the Touch Screen Setting is ON. Also, make sure the Info screen has not hidden it.

Dave in Wales 22nd April 2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 341226)
OK, I'm back. Go to Menu *K Utility & check that the Touch Screen Setting is ON. Also, make sure the Info screen has not hidden it.

Thanks Ross, I've scoured the 'useless' manual.

Page 27 is all I can find, aint no help though.

Ross the fiddler 22nd April 2015 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in Wales (Post 341232)
Thanks Ross, I've scoured the 'useless' manual.

Page 27 is all I can find, aint no help though.

Have you held Fn1 down while turning the rear wheel to change the Multifunction selection? Have you cycled the Info screens? What about pressing the OK button to clear the Last Function 1? Sorry, I need some sleep now but I hope those prompts might lead you to solving the issue.

Dave in Wales 22nd April 2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 341233)
Have you held Fn1 down while turning the rear wheel to change the Multifunction selection? Have you cycled the Info screens? What about pressing the OK button to clear the Last Function 1? Sorry, I need some sleep now but I hope those prompts might lead you to solving the issue.

The Multifunction is not set on Magnify..!

kbouk 22nd April 2015 09:36 PM

try the right arrow on the 4 arrow pad, push and hold it and the screen is lock or unlock

Dave in Wales 22nd April 2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbouk (Post 341285)
try the right arrow on the 4 arrow pad, push and hold it and the screen is lock or unlock

Thank's but, no luck :mad:

Ross the fiddler 22nd April 2015 11:20 PM

I think it is maybe just the Info screen (after checking mine) as the touch screen icon won't be there if using the digital level screen. Press Info & cycle through the screens to see what happens.

Dave in Wales 22nd April 2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 341294)
I think it is maybe just the Info screen (after checking mine) as the touch screen icon won't be there if using the digital level screen. Press Info & cycle through the screens to see what happens.

Tried that ages ago, I'm at a loss.

I have posted the question on FOUR M4/3 forums....and drawn a blank.

Get that thinking cap on Ross :)

Ross the fiddler 22nd April 2015 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in Wales (Post 341296)
Tried that ages ago, I'm at a loss.

I have posted the question on FOUR M4/3 forums....and drawn a blank.

Get that thinking cap on Ross :)

Sorry I couldn't help, but did you check Menu, *K, Utility & check that the Touch Screen Setting is ON?

Ralph Harwood 23rd April 2015 12:26 AM

Hi there Dave!

Silly question but are you in manual focus? I haven't got my E-M1 to hand, but I'm guessing that maybe you can't set it to AF point if you're set to manual focus.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Ross the fiddler 23rd April 2015 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood (Post 341300)
Hi there Dave!

Silly question but are you in manual focus? I haven't got my E-M1 to hand, but I'm guessing that maybe you can't set it to AF point if you're set to manual focus.

Cheers,

Ralph.

The Touch icon remains in MF as that allows Magnification by Touch instead with the size slider on the right & magnify touch point at the lower right.

Dave in Wales 23rd April 2015 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 341299)
Sorry I couldn't help, but did you check Menu, *K, Utility & check that the Touch Screen Setting is ON?

Done that.

Dave in Wales 23rd April 2015 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 341301)
The Touch icon remains in MF as that allows Magnification by Touch instead with the size slider on the right & magnify touch point at the lower right.

I'm in AF, but I have.. Magnification by Touch instead with the size slider on the right & magnify touch point at the lower right....as you mention.

I'm in AF, single point...I have...
1 Off.
2 Magnification by Touch with the size slider on the right & magnify touch point at the lower right.
3 Shutter Release.

I've tried turning off Manual Focus Assist....Magnify, it has no affect.

Dave in Wales 23rd April 2015 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood (Post 341300)
Hi there Dave!

Cheers,

Ralph.

I'm in SP AF

Ross the fiddler 23rd April 2015 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in Wales (Post 341304)
Done that.

Well mate...... I dunno. *shrug Sorry. :(

Of course, when you do find it, it will probably be some small setting that's giving you all this grief. :rolleyes:

Graham_of_Rainham 23rd April 2015 09:25 AM

Go to the enchanted forest, defeat the red goblin, collect the mytheral sword and all will be well. :rolleyes:

You may well need "Game Skills" to do a full "Factory Reset" if all else fails...

As has been said: I simply turn it On/Off at the bottom of gear J menu.

This may help http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html

Good luck

Olybirder 23rd April 2015 09:40 AM

I don't know what is going wrong but mine works perfectly with version 3.0 firmware.

Assuming that you have checked that it is turned on in Cog menu K as suggested above, pressing the button to the left of the viewfinder should toggle between Viewfinder and Live view. Once Viewfinder is selected, repeatedly pressing the Info button cycles through the various screens, one of which should include the green touch screen icon.

If it doesn't work like that I am stumped, which doesn't help you.

Ron

Dave in Wales 23rd April 2015 10:31 AM

I have emailed Olympus with the problem, see if they can come up with anything.
What concerns me is the fact that I have already done a 'Full Reset' to no avail.
Should I get a reply I'll pass on the info.

byegad 23rd April 2015 11:23 AM

I played with my two OM Ds and think the answer is this. While in Live view repeatedly press Info until the icon appears on the screen.

Dave in Wales 23rd April 2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byegad (Post 341342)
I played with my two OM Ds and think the answer is this. While in Live view repeatedly press Info until the icon appears on the screen.

I get icons.........
1 Off.
2 Magnification by Touch with the size slider on the right & magnify touch point at the lower right.
3 Shutter Release.

But not the four corners with the little hand, I get magnification instead.

Ross the fiddler 23rd April 2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in Wales (Post 341343)
I get icons.........
1 Off.
3 Shutter Release.

But not the four corners with the little hand, I get magnification instead.

Sorry to ask again, but what Info screens do you have enabled in Menu *D, Info Settings, LV-Info? I have all 4 enabled (ticked) in mine.

Just another thought. You say you have "Magnification by Touch with the size slider on the right & magnify touch point at the lower right." There should be an icon on the left when in that mode that should be [ ] OFF. Press it & it will turn off Magnify. Now you should have one of 3 options for Touch, Touch to focus, Touch to fire shutter or OFF (it will be there depending on which Info screen is in use as a screens with no details or level won't show it) & touching that will cycle through those options. Let us know what that is now as that was part of Version 2.0 firmware update. It didn't have the [ ] OFF function to turn off Magnification before (as far as I know).

Here is a quote from Firmware 2.0
Quote:

The level gauge and histogram can now be displayed during magnified frame display. The Touch Off icon was added to magnified frame display.

Olybirder 23rd April 2015 12:30 PM

I have just been playing with my camera. In Live view the green touch screen icon is at the lefthand side of the screen. If I press the Fn2 button the green magnification rectangle appears and 'off' appears next to the touch screen icon. If I press the Info button I can change the magnification amount with the back dial. Pressing the Fn2 button toggles between the magnified and standard view. To activate the touch screen again I can touch the green icon and 'off' disappears.

Is there anything useful there?

Ron

Dave in Wales 23rd April 2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 341347)
Sorry to ask again, but what Info screens do you have enabled in Menu *D, Info Settings, LV-Info? I have all 4 enabled (ticked) in mine.

Just another thought. You say you have "Magnification by Touch with the size slider on the right & magnify touch point at the lower right." There should be an icon on the left when in that mode that should be [ ] OFF. Press it & it will turn off Magnify. Now you should have one of 3 options for Touch, Touch to focus, Touch to fire shutter or OFF (it will be there depending on which Info screen is in use as a screens with no details or level won't show it) & touching that will cycle through those options. Let us know what that is now as that was part of Version 2.0 firmware update. It didn't have the [ ] OFF function to turn off Magnification before (as far as I know).

Here is a quote from Firmware 2.0

Thanks Ross, I have done a FULL RESET again and nothing has changed,

Dave in Wales 23rd April 2015 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olybirder (Post 341349)
I have just been playing with my camera. In Live view the green touch screen icon is at the lefthand side of the screen. If I press the Fn2 button the green magnification rectangle appears and 'off' appears next to the touch screen icon. If I press the Info button I can change the magnification amount with the back dial. Pressing the Fn2 button toggles between the magnified and standard view. To activate the touch screen again I can touch the green icon and 'off' disappears.

Is there anything useful there?

Ron

Thanks Ron, I have done a FULL RESET again and it's still the same

Ross the fiddler 24th April 2015 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in Wales (Post 341360)
Thanks Ross, I have done a FULL RESET again and nothing has changed,

Sorry our suggestions haven't help, but we are trying to determine your situation. Perhaps if you photographed the screen showing the results then we might be able to help more. With respect, my suggestions didn't involve resetting at all & I would be interested in knowing the results of my (& Ron's) suggested sequence (assuming Menu, *K, Utility & Touch Screen Setting is ON), in photographs of each screen if needed.

Dave in Wales 24th April 2015 06:20 AM

Yesterday I spoke with the Olympus service engineers.
The camera they had on hand was an E-M1 with v3 firmware installed and it was the same as mine with the same three icons...OFF, MAGINIFY AND SHUTTER RELEASE.
It would appear that the touch screen focusing and magnify have been combined in one icon....magnify on/magnify off....it does TS focusing and magnify.
I questioned him about other members having the original icons after installing v3.
This he could not understand because the camera he held in his hand had the same icons as mine.
I suggested perhaps ther were more than one v3 out there, he had no answer.

Olybirder 24th April 2015 03:17 PM

I have just been playing with my camera. In live view the green touch screen icon appears on the left hand side. There are three choices which are changed by touching it:

1. Disabled

2. AF target (green rectangle with pointing finger.) When this is selected, touching the required focusing point on the screen produces a green target rectangle. This can be dragged around and the size changed by a slider on the right. When doing this the icon at the side changes to a green rectangle with 'off' next to. Touching this makes the green target rectangle on the screen disappear. In this mode a white magnifying glass appears at the bottom right of the screen. Touching this gives a magnified view and touching the screen selects the focusing point. The shutter is released by the shutter button.

3. Touch screen focusing and shutter release. When this is selected, touching the screen instantly focuses and releases the shutter.

Which of these is different or missing on your camera Dave?

Ron

Mdb2 28th April 2015 09:57 PM

As a. Newbie to olympus and of no help to dave Wales you can also set the green focus square to do 2sec delay after pressing? now that's neat.
Kind regards mike

Ross the fiddler 28th April 2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdb2 (Post 341991)
As a. Newbie to olympus and of no help to dave Wales you can also set the green focus square to do 2sec delay after pressing? now that's neat.
Kind regards mike

Yes, & it's neat that you can also hold your finger on the focus spot for continuous shooting too. :)

Dave in Wales 29th April 2015 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olybirder (Post 341436)
I have just been playing with my camera. In live view the green touch screen icon appears on the left hand side. There are three choices which are changed by touching it:

1. Disabled

2. AF target (green rectangle with pointing finger.) When this is selected, touching the required focusing point on the screen produces a green target rectangle. This can be dragged around and the size changed by a slider on the right. When doing this the icon at the side changes to a green rectangle with 'off' next to. Touching this makes the green target rectangle on the screen disappear. In this mode a white magnifying glass appears at the bottom right of the screen. Touching this gives a magnified view and touching the screen selects the focusing point. The shutter is released by the shutter button.

3. Touch screen focusing and shutter release. When this is selected, touching the screen instantly focuses and releases the shutter.

Which of these is different or missing on your camera Dave?

Ron

I have all of these, my confusion came about because I was not refering to the latest manual >:[