Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Events (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chances to touch and try the new E-3 around the country (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3)

Ian 9th November 2007 08:50 PM

Chances to touch and try the new E-3 around the country

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries...m/zd12-60b.jpg

Handling the new Olympus E-3 and 12-60 zoom at a recent Olympus UK dealer event.

If you want to see the new Olympus E-3, as well as the new Zuiko Digital 12-60mm SWD and 70-300mm zooms, and - hopefully - the new 50-200mm SWD, plus other E-System bodies, lenses and accessories, the Olympus UK team is touring the country and want to meet you.

Here is the list of dealer venues until the end of the year. It may change, so check for the latest status of your local event before departing. Events usually last between 10AM and 2PM or 4PM - again, check with your local venue:
  • 1st November - LCE, Lincoln The Lawn, Union Rd, Lincoln, 1pm to 7pm, tel: 01522 514131, www.lcegroup.co.uk
  • 7th November - Camera World, 14 Wells, St. London, W1, 10am to 7pm, 0207 636 5005, www.cameraworld.co.uk
  • 9th November - J+A Cameras, Gamon Walk, Barnstaple, EX31 1DJ, 10am to 4pm, tel: 01271 375037, www.jandacameras.co.uk
  • 15th November - Conns Cameras, Clarendon Street, Dublin 2, 11am to 8pm, tel: 00353 16777179, www.connscameras.ie
  • 16th November - LCE Portsmouth, 40 Kingswell Path, Ports, PO1 4RR, 10am to 4pm, tel: 02392 839933, www.lcegroup.co.uk
  • 17th November - LCE Norwich, 12 TIMBERHILL, NORWICH, Norfolk 9.30am to 5pm, tel: 01603 630302 www.lcegroup.co.uk
  • 23rd, 24th November - Harrisons, 112-114 London Road, 10am to 4pm, tel: 0114 2760002, www.harrisoncameras.co.uk
  • 24th November - Great Western Cameras, 4-5 Market St, Swindon, SN1 1RZ, 10am to 2pm, tel: 01793 614754
  • 25th November - Digital Show, LCE Southampton, Novotel, 1 West Quay Road, Southampton, SO15 1 RA, 10am to 5pm, tel: 02380 221 597, www.lcegroup.co.uk
  • 27th November - Black & Lizars, 8 Wellington Place, Belfast, tel: 02890 326992, www.blackandlizars.com
  • 29th November - Calumet, Drummond Street, London NW1, 10am to 2pm, tel: 020 7434 1848, www.calumetphoto.co.uk
  • 29th November - Ffordes Photographics, Beauly, Inverness, tel: 01463 783850, www.ffordes.com
  • 1st December - LCE, Lincoln The Lawn, Union Rd, Lincoln, 1pm to 7pm, tel: 01522 514131, www.lcegroup.co.uk
  • 1st December - Camera Centre Cardiff, 13-15 Morgan Arcade, Cardiff, CF1 2AF, tel: 02920 3941882, www.cameracentrecardiff.co.uk
  • 4th December - RGB Technology, 11 Newport Road, Middlesborough, tel: 01642 228182, www.rgb-labs.co.uk
  • 5th December - L.Bonser Ltd, 5 Bigg Market, Newcastle Upon Tyne, tel: 0191 222 0434, www.bonsers.co.uk
  • 6th December - J+A Cameras, Gamon Walk, Barnstaple, EX31 1DJ, tel: 01271 375037, www.jandacameras.co.uk
  • 8th December - Olympus E Day Fairs, Dacre Hill, Rock Ferry, Birkenhead, L42 4NW, tel: 0151 6455000
  • 9th December - Digital @ Devon, Event Thistle Hotel, Exeter, tel: 01392 214199, www.devoncamera.co.uk
  • 11th December - Black & Lizars, 6 Shandwick Place, Edinburgh, tel: 0131 225 2195, www.blackandlizars.com
  • 12th December - Wilkinson Cameras, 38 Eastbank St, Southport , tel: 01704 534534 www.wilkinson.co.uk
  • 12th December - Black & Lizars, 42 Gordon Street, Glasgow, tel: 0141 221 8062, www.blackandlizars.com
  • 13th December - Wilkinson Cameras, 19A Westmorweland Centre, Kendal tel: 01539 735055 www.wilkinson.co.uk
  • 13th December - Black & Lizars, 37 Belmont Street, Aberdeen, tel: 01224 646143, www.blackandlizars.com
  • 15th December - Cameraland, Cardiff, 36 Royal Arcade, Cardiff, CF1 2PR, tel: 02920 383170
  • 15th December - Wilkinson Cameras, 27 Friargate Walk, St Georges, Preston, tel: 01772 556250 www.wilkinson.co.uk

Ian 10th November 2007 10:48 AM

Re: Chances to touch and try the new E-3 around the country

I'd be very interested to hear some feedback from any of these dealer events - I was at the Digital Depot one a couple of weeks ago. It was fairly quiet, so we all had decent opportunity to try the new goodies :)

Ian

Magnumaniac 10th November 2007 11:25 AM

Will try and get to the Harrison Cameras one in a couple of weeks time.

I'll let you know how it goes if I do get there.

Ian.

Bo_Nydahl 10th November 2007 07:02 PM

I notice that the West Midlands is well represented.........not. I think I am the only person using Olympus in this area. Unless you know better?

Mike

photonutter 10th November 2007 07:19 PM

Looks like I'll have to avoid Birkenhead on the 8th, either that or end up bitter and twisted or single.:D

Andrew Riddell 10th November 2007 08:38 PM

I went to the one at Camera World last Wednesday. I went mid-afternoon, hoping to miss any lunch-time rush, and for the hour I was there they had a steady stream of visitors, but never more than 2 or 3 at a time. They'd been very busy at lunch time and expected another rush between 5 and 7.

The Olympus guys couldn't have been more helpful.

Impressions of the E3? From my point of view (having dropped film SLR a few years back and feeling that fixed lens was getting too limiting) the E3 is a camera which would do all I asked of it (as well as things which I wouldn't even know to ask for!). I'm no techie, and for me it came down to the lovely large viewfinder and the convenience of the swivel LCD against the weight.

The new 12-60 and 50-200 lenses are fast focussing and sharp throughout (so far as I could tell from playing in the shop). The only copy of the 70-300 had no motor, so it was a bit difficult to judge it. We did get it to zoom by pulling the front section! Once again, seems good.

The shop had the rest of the 4/3 range available as well, so we could try virtually anything on anything.

Anyway, it made up my mind for me, as I bought an E510 on the spot and have the 12-60 and 70-300 on order. I'm playing with the kit lens for now!

Andrew

Ian 10th November 2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Riddell (Post 40)
I went to the one at Camera World last Wednesday. I went mid-afternoon, hoping to miss any lunch-time rush, and for the hour I was there they had a steady stream of visitors, but never more than 2 or 3 at a time. They'd been very busy at lunch time and expected another rush between 5 and 7.

The Olympus guys couldn't have been more helpful.

Impressions of the E3? From my point of view (having dropped film SLR a few years back and feeling that fixed lens was getting too limiting) the E3 is a camera which would do all I asked of it (as well as things which I wouldn't even know to ask for!). I'm no techie, and for me it came down to the lovely large viewfinder and the convenience of the swivel LCD against the weight.

The new 12-60 and 50-200 lenses are fast focussing and sharp throughout (so far as I could tell from playing in the shop). The only copy of the 70-300 had no motor, so it was a bit difficult to judge it. We did get it to zoom by pulling the front section! Once again, seems good.

The shop had the rest of the 4/3 range available as well, so we could try virtually anything on anything.

Anyway, it made up my mind for me, as I bought an E510 on the spot and have the 12-60 and 70-300 on order. I'm playing with the kit lens for now!

Andrew

Ah - so you qualify for the 100 cash back for your E-510 too :)

Ian

Napper 18th November 2007 10:16 PM

Hi I managed to getalong to the event in Norwich. I was fortunate to pick a quiet momment, they had seem to have had a constant stream of visitors , sometimes up to 10 people at a time.

I was able to play with the E-3 for a good 10 minutes by myself and then another 10 minutes with the olympus guy (didn't catch his name) explaining things I didn't know.
My first impression was the solid but easy to handle shape. Although it weighs a lot more than my 510 it actually felt "lighter" i guess because it is so well balanced. The focussing seemed to be definitely quicker than the 510, whether this was because of the new swd lens I don't know. I was very impressed and I felt that even with just a little while to play with the camera, that every thing was where it should be control wise and that stepping up from the 510 would be a simple and enjoyable process.

I was also able to play with the 70-300 lens on my own camera and I'm very impressed with this beauty. The IQ is fantastic and even at full zoom it is quick and responsive to the autofocus. I was going to try the new lenses on the 510 to see if it improved the already good focus but it then got busy and I had to retun to reality and wrestle with the Christmas shoppers

I left there wishing I had the money to buy the E-3 but it is something to look forward to one day. The 70-300 is on back order and so rather than leave empty handed I got the remote control cable for the E-510.

Magnumaniac 24th November 2007 06:37 PM

Just back from Harrison Cameras in Sheffield. Very good idea by Olympus I'd say. The Oly rep was bang up to date on everything and could answer most questions straight away (said he knows you, Ian, but I didn't catch his name).

Got to play with the 12-60mm on my E-510, and wow, what a fast AF. Excellent wide angle view as well. As for the E-3, felt just perfect in hand with the 12-60 fitted. I want one :D

A couple of interesting points came out in conversation - he expects the new 50-200mm SWD lens to retail around the 800 mark (previous figures had been closer to 950, so don't know if Oly have moved the goalposts slightly), and it should be available on 18th December. Also, he said the focussing screen on the E-3 is not user changeable - so bang goes the split prism option.

Thanks to Oly for putting these on, and to the rep today - who was doing it in his own time for free apparently!

Ian.

Ian 24th November 2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnumaniac (Post 800)
Just back from Harrison Cameras in Sheffield. Very good idea by Olympus I'd say. The Oly rep was bang up to date on everything and could answer most questions straight away (said he knows you, Ian, but I didn't catch his name).

Got to play with the 12-60mm on my E-510, and wow, what a fast AF. Excellent wide angle view as well. As for the E-3, felt just perfect in hand with the 12-60 fitted. I want one :D

A couple of interesting points came out in conversation - he expects the new 50-200mm SWD lens to retail around the 800 mark (previous figures had been closer to 950, so don't know if Oly have moved the goalposts slightly), and it should be available on 18th December. Also, he said the focussing screen on the E-3 is not user changeable - so bang goes the split prism option.

Thanks to Oly for putting these on, and to the rep today - who was doing it in his own time for free apparently!

Ian.

I don't think any of the E-System screens are supposed to be interchangeable, but that doesn't mean they can't be changed :D

The E-3 reflex finder is quite different to the others as the pentaprism is tilted and larger so as to project a larger view, so that might rule out split screen focus aid anyway.

Ian

ewan 24th November 2007 08:56 PM

I went along to Harrison Cameras, Sheffield on Friday. The info I got from Olympus user said they had two days. They were setting up but the Oly guy
let me have a look at the e-3. A great camera, but unfortunately way beyond my pocket, too big a leap, I was interested in the e-510 though, but I might just wait awhile and see what develops. I'm still getting to know my e-500.

brob108 9th December 2007 08:00 PM

I went to the Birkenhead event on Saturday (8th December) and it was highly enjoyable. A corner of the shop was set aside for the Olympus section with the current range of cameras (E410, 510 and E3) pus a wide range of lenses (including some of the more exotic types - 300mm, 90 - 250mm, plus the 7 - 14mm and 11 - 22mm). This was particularly helpful, I found, as I got a chance not only to see lenses not usually in the shops but also try them out with the cameras.

Obviously, the main interest was on the E3 and 12 - 60m ED and when I arrived about half a dozen people were at the Olympus stand. The Oly rep was very helpful and answered lots of questions politely with the visitors.

I stayed for about an hour and got to try out the E3 and several lenses during that time. The E3 feels very well built, the Live View screen felt secure and was great to be able to move it around and the shooting at fast speeds was on a par with the Nikon D 200. It came across as a particularly impressive camera and I'm looking forward to it coming my way soon.

Many thanks to Olympus and Fairs Digital for putting on the show.

Tim the Grey 9th December 2007 10:56 PM

E-1 has FS-1 plain screen, and FS-2 with etched lines on it. I have one of each, fitted exactly as the old OM screens.

Several folk have fitted E-500 with split screens bought from ebay.

I hope to be in CameraLand this coming saturday in Cardiff. Unless LCE Leamington have an E-3 in stock tomorrow.
(I'm collecting my son from Cardiff Uni anyway...)