Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 2 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Lens protection / Filter (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46629)

MG Driver 16th November 2017 12:04 PM

Lens protection / Filter

Hi all, I'm a bit new to all this m43 stuff, I'm after a bit of advice regarding Lens protection.

Back in the day with my of 35mm SLR film camera I used to fit a 1A Skylight filter to the lens if for nothing else but to add a bit of extra protection from scratches.

I have an E-M10 mk2 with the 14-42mm 'Pancake' lens, is there any additional lens protection available or even required?

Thanks

benvendetta 16th November 2017 12:57 PM

Re: Lens protection / Filter

All filters will degrade the image to some extent. How important that is, is up to you. I like to maintain the highest quality of the lenses I have and I therefore rely more on lens hoods for protection.

090657 16th November 2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG Driver (Post 432971)
Hi all, I'm a bit new to all this m43 stuff, I'm after a bit of advice regarding Lens protection.

Back in the day with my of 35mm SLR film camera I used to fit a 1A Skylight filter to the lens if for nothing else but to add a bit of extra protection from scratches.

I have an E-M10 mk2 with the 14-42mm 'Pancake' lens, is there any additional lens protection available or even required?

Thanks

I always use a filter for protection. I too have the nifty little 14-42 pancake but recently found a really cool `auto lens cap` for it which is permanently fitted and opens when the lens is extended- no vignetting. Also fits the Panny 12-32 I think. Compatible with 52mm filters I think.

Tim

OM USer 16th November 2017 03:00 PM

Yes, for the 14-42 EZ pancake use the auto lens cap.

Petrochemist 16th November 2017 03:28 PM

A lens hood will typically protect your lens FAR more than a UV/skylight filter.
In nearly all cases modern camera have very limited UV response so the original reason for these filters is no longer relevant.
Lens elements are very hard & do not scratch easily - fragments from shattered filters can scratch them however!

There are a few situations like windswept sandy beaches where a filter is wise, but IMO these are definitely exceptions.

pdk42 16th November 2017 07:59 PM

To add a protective filter or not ... that is the question. People have different views.

Pros:
- Adds some protection to minor knocks

- Adds protection from dust/salt spray

- Makes cleaning the lens in rain etc somewhat less stressful

Cons:

- May affect image quality (unless you buy an expensive one). Much bigger deal on telephoto lenses

- May introduce flaring (unless you buy an expensive one)

- If you do knock the filter ring, it can deform and make it hard/impossible to remove from the camera

- If you drop the lens and the filter shatters then the glass shards will likely cause more damage than the drop itself

I personally never use them and am yet to scratch a lens. But, I always use lens hoods and am careful with my gear. If I were doing more photography in adverse weather or locations then I'd probably add one.

A skylight/1A is fine (but the filtering effect is rather pointless on digital). There are also plain glass special protective filters available these days too.

OM USer 16th November 2017 10:39 PM

For all my lenses (except the 14-42 EZ) I use a Hoya Digital UV. I've yet to see the very minor degredation that people talk about but I have dropped a lens/camera and bent the filter but saved the lens with no damage. I also clean the filter an awful lot as I keep getting finger prints on it.

Bikie John 17th November 2017 10:31 AM

In "normal" use I suspect you are unlikely to see much effect on the image, and if having a filter gives you peace of mind then you may as well use one. But there are circumstances where it can have a more pronounced effect. For example in towns at night with very bright point sources of light such as streetlamps, it is quite common to get ghost images from internal reflections between the lens and filter.

John

AMc 17th November 2017 04:54 PM

FWIW I don't use filters or hoods. I do use an eBay "pinch" lens cap on a string which is clipped to the camera strap and generally only uncap the lens to take a picture rather than wandering around with the front exposed.
I've not scratched or dropped any of my cameras (touches wood).
I'm not saying anything against taking precautions but I never felt the need.

lonegroover 24th June 2018 08:56 AM

Perhaps I'm a bit paranoid but I always have a filter on to protect all my lenses. Bought a relatively inexpensive UF filter for my Leica 15mm.

Graham_of_Rainham 24th June 2018 10:03 AM

Saved my front elements a few times, and I don't even have a Subaro...

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48178

:D

Ricoh 24th June 2018 04:46 PM

More than once have I touched the front of a lens with my finger, and glad that I had a filter for protection. Just a quick blow with the rocket and a wipe with a micro fibre and you’re good to go. In fact the nano coated filters seem to resist dirt like they’re made of magic material, and I would recommend this type. If the same happened to the front element of the lens I’d probably wait until I was home with the appropriate cleaning gear, and that would include a wet clean using a PecPad and Eclipse fluid.

Ricoh 24th June 2018 04:56 PM

Regarding degradation of picture quality - in my opinion digital is far too sharp so I’m happy with a filter and the minor effects they are claimed to induce.

No one will look at your photos and say “That’s sharp, I bet that was taken with a really good camera and lens, without a filter”. Absolutely certain of that.

TimP 24th June 2018 10:41 PM

Both my main lenses cost around or over 1000, so it seems daft to put a >50 filter on there. Saying that, I put an expensive piece of Canon plain glass on the front of my 100-400L Mk II. Do Oly and Panasonic even make plain glass lens protectors?

mik 25th June 2018 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 449675)
Both my main lenses cost around or over 1000, so it seems daft to put a >50 filter on there. Saying that, I put an expensive piece of Canon plain glass on the front of my 100-400L Mk II. Do Oly and Panasonic even make plain glass lens protectors?

If you take all the costs involved in making your 1000 lenses broke them down its possible each glass element cost less than 50 :D