Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Events (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   CONFIRMED: West Wales & Skomer Island meet: June 4th/5th 2010 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8171)

theMusicMan 5th February 2010 11:38 AM

CONFIRMED: West Wales & Skomer Island meet: June 4th/5th 2010

Hi All

Skomer Island eGroup Meet: JUNE 3rd and/or 4th and/or 5th
Spring/Summer 2010

This is something I had promised some time ago that I would try to set up, and so I am now gauging interest to see if it is something we could attempt.

Please can you let me know if you would be interested in my arranging a trip to Skomer Island, sometime in the Spring or early Summer 2010, for us on eGroup. Format is open to all suggestions just now, and could be from something such as a simple day trip, to an overnight (NOT ON SKOMER) in a local hotel to avoid any early starts due to travel et al. To be able to book accommodation on Skomer required plenty of notice, and it is my guess the accommodation will already have been fully booked for the entire 2010 season. I am happy to ask though if people want me to find out.

Drop your name in here if you're interested in such a trip, at the same time indicating if you'd be interested in a hotel overnight stay somewhere closer on the day before. If this were the case I am also happy to arrange some gorgeous coastal walks for sunset/sunrise etc. depending on the local hotel situation.

Costs will be around 17 for the Skomer boat trip and landing fee, with 4 for car parking that's a few hundred yards from the jetty. Hotel prices - well, I have no clue just yet, but I'd say it would be between 40-80 to stay somewhere close enough.

So, lets see if this is a go-er! Get your names down if you're interested.*chr

dbutch 5th February 2010 12:16 PM

Re: Skomer Island meet: Spring 2010

John

I would be up for it, and would stay over due to distance

Biggest problem I have is lot of business travelling over the next 6 months so the earlier a date can be set the better for me

Dave

E-3 5th February 2010 01:07 PM

I would love to tag along & get some good Puffin shots..........................................onl y problem is I have only been a member for afew days, so don`t know if I qualify to go on the trip?

shenstone 5th February 2010 01:08 PM

Definitely up for it (Me+1) depending on work / timing as I have a lot of weeknds already booked this year

Re acommodation - We may well camp if everywhere's looking booked & the forecast is good

As John already knows timing is everything if you want to get the pictures of sandeels in mouths and you need to plan on being out on the 1st boat and back on the last to get the best time

Regards
Andy

Wreckdiver 5th February 2010 01:21 PM

I would be interested John. Would be a good opportunity to hire the 90-250mm lens and see how it performs.

Steve

pasterw 5th February 2010 01:23 PM

I tried booking an accommodation on Skomer for the spring a while ago & everything was booked out already, at least for the "interesting" months (i.e. when the Puffins have their chicks). However, there seemed plenty of room before April and after July/August. Apparently, you have to book 2 years ahead?!?

Wolfgang

dbutch 5th February 2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-3 (Post 64542)
I would love to tag along & get some good Puffin shots..........................................onl y problem is I have only been a member for afew days, so don`t know if I qualify to go on the trip?

Hi E-3

I am sure no one here would say no just because your new to the forum, the trips are a good way to meet fellow e-system users and see various bits of kit.

Cheers

Dave

j.baker 5th February 2010 02:14 PM

Teresa and I would probably come.....depending on dates.

E-3 5th February 2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wreckdiver (Post 64544)
I would be interested John. Would be a good opportunity to hire the 90-250mm lens and see how it performs.

Steve

You would be more than welcome to have a go with mine (If John lets me come)......................................not that this is any kind of bribe :D

Wreckdiver 5th February 2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-3 (Post 64555)
You would be more than welcome to have a go with mine (If John lets me come)......................................not that this is any kind of bribe :D

That's very kind of you to offer. You do realise that once I have the lens you will have lost it for the remainder of the day :D

John, E-3 should most definitely be given high priority on this trip :tup

Steve

Kiwi Paul 5th February 2010 02:45 PM

I'd be interested, definately have to book accomodation though.

Paul

mike_j 5th February 2010 04:02 PM

Can I come if I stick an Olympus label over the Panasonic logo on my camera?

I'm sure there will be a camping/caravanning site near enough for us to stop over.

PaulE 5th February 2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_j (Post 64564)
Can I come if I stick an Olympus label over the Panasonic logo on my camera?

I'm sure there will be a camping/caravanning site near enough for us to stop over.

If I remember rightly there was campsite on the road down to St Martins Haven. When we passed by last year it looked like a group were getting ready to walk the 500yds down to the ferry - maybe Musicman will have more info, if not it must be online somewhere...

I'll put my name down as a tentative yes to this - I definitely want to go back there some time this year but It's going to be a very busy summer so it will depend on dates and a bit of good luck that it won't clash with anything...

shenstone 5th February 2010 06:26 PM

There are definitely a number of reaonable campsites in the Marloes area and a pub in Marloes

There are more facilities over at Broadhaven which is just 20 minutes away

I for one would plan to make a weekend of it. There are plenty of other intersting places in the area or on the way. Penbroke/Carew Castles both on the way home if you take the southern route. Oakwood Theme park:eek: (no thanks!) & Many More

Regards
Andy

The Saint 5th February 2010 06:44 PM

I would love to get to Skomer, however as it's over the other side of the country I'll need to make a long weekend of it.

The longer notice you can give of the chosen date the more likely I can arrange something.

Regards

Simon