Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   General photography discussion (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Spin-off...Digital Converter and lens sharpness. (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50169)

Dave in Wales 25th March 2019 10:56 AM

Spin-off...Digital Converter and lens sharpness.

I talking here about the incredible sharpness of the 12-100mm and my future use of the 2x DC.

The DC seems to be frowned upon by most.
I have used it on occasion, I shoot RAW+JPG so I have both images to fall back on.

The L-fn button on the lens is dedicated to DC, so I can see it getting a lot more use.

That means I now have a 12-200 superbly sharp lens, or in old money a 24-400....can't be bad...:D

Phill D 25th March 2019 11:11 AM

Re: Spin-off...Digital Converter and lens sharpness.

Only if it works on the 12-100 lens. My guess is that it wont as the 1.4x doesn't.

Olybirder 25th March 2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phill D (Post 476404)
Only if it works on the 12-100 lens. My guess is that it wont as the 1.4x doesn't.

I think Dave is talking about the camera's digital converter Phill.

Ron

sapper 25th March 2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phill D (Post 476404)

DC, Digital converter?
It works for me, better than a crop I reckon.

Ulfric M Douglas 25th March 2019 07:45 PM

If they've tweaked it to be better than a crop then they're onto a winner.
The older cameras just give me basically a crop so I never considered it again.

Ross the fiddler 25th March 2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas (Post 476439)
If they've tweaked it to be better than a crop then they're onto a winner.
The older cameras just give me basically a crop so I never considered it again.

It is a crop & upscaled. I feel it does it well & as Dave in Wales said, saving JPEG & RAW gives the best of both options. Also, if the DTC is left on by mistake there is always a wider backup view in the RAW file too. :rolleyes: Of course, the DCT composition might not be as ideal as it could have been & then the RAW allows more latitude there in post.

blu-by-u 26th March 2019 06:26 AM

At the very least, there is no increase in f stop with the Digital crop :D just a tat smaller file size :D

Phill D 26th March 2019 06:59 AM

Ah yes sorry, read that post too quickly :o
I like the x2DTC too. I can't usually see any difference to a post crop but it does allow a greater focus on composition and metering from the area of interest. I've certainly done some moon shots with it that I prefer to a simple crop.

Ulfric M Douglas 26th March 2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phill D (Post 476454)
I've certainly done some moon shots with it that I prefer to a simple crop.

It would be useful to see one of those (both files) : with a view to upscale +selective sharpen the crop and see which is better...

Phill D 26th March 2019 08:31 PM

I'll have a look back Ulfric but i'm not very good at labelling my shots so might not be able to find the comparison I did :o From memory though it was a very very close run thing and slight variations in atmospherics between shots was enough to make the best choice change round.

drmarkf 26th March 2019 09:42 PM

I find the DTC really useful for identifying incoming things like birds, aircraft and assorted wildlife before they’re close enough to press the shutter.

blu-by-u 28th March 2019 03:14 AM

It would be even better if they allow that Digital Crop rectangle to be moveable (like the magnification assist) instead of fix to the middle.

Ulfric M Douglas 28th March 2019 06:40 PM

No worries Phil.
I'd be very keen on a digital-zoom that did great works instead of a crop, but I'm not convinced yet.
Maybe I'll test it with my card in the camera shop next time : which camera would be best to try?

Phill D 29th March 2019 10:53 AM

I guess it depends on what cameras you have or intend to get Ulfric.