Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus E-3 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   HLD-4 power grip (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=333)

Ian 15th December 2007 10:06 AM

HLD-4 power grip

I picked up a HLD-4 from Olympus yesterday (their new HQ in Watford is only 15 minutes away from the office :)).

If anyone has a question I can answer about the HLD-4, fire away!

Ian

Barr1e 15th December 2007 06:29 PM

Re: HLD-4 power grip

As I intend to buy an E-3 late next year and if your HLD-4 is one for testing I'd be most grateful to receive it as a gift. :cool: :D

Regards. Barr1e

PeterD 15th December 2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barr1e (Post 2452)
As I intend to buy an E-3 late next year and if your HLD-4 is one for testing I'd be most grateful to receive it as a gift. :cool: :D

Regards. Barr1e

Your a chancer Barrie. I can't say I blame you. Better to get the request in now rather than wait for someone else to get the courage.

PeterD

Barr1e 15th December 2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterD (Post 2456)
Your a chancer Barrie. I can't say I blame you. Better to get the request in now rather than wait for someone else to get the courage.

PeterD

True.:D

Kindest regards. Barr1e

PeterD 15th December 2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barr1e (Post 2458)
True.:D

Kindest regards. Barr1e

Barrie,

I note that Ian was asking for ANY questions about the grip but still has not replied to you. I wonder no answer is actually his reply;)

PeterD

Barr1e 15th December 2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterD (Post 2462)
Barrie,

I note that Ian was asking for ANY questions about the grip but still has not replied to you. I wonder no answer is actually his reply;)

PeterD

I'm not surprised - I just hope he has taken the family out. After all it is nearly Christmas and I don't think Julia and Ian have been away from their desks in quite some while. Don't you think they deserve it?;)

We have been getting in the mood - we walked just under five miles to the pub today to meet friends from Norfolk. After a couple of pints of 'Humbug' and a pint of 'Sleighbells' all seemed a better place. :)

Off to climb the wooden stairs. Night night.

Kindest regards. Barr1e

PeterD 15th December 2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barr1e (Post 2464)
I'm not surprised - I just hope he has taken the family out. After all it is nearly Christmas and I don't think Julia and Ian have been away from their desks in quite some while. Don't you think they deserve it?;)

We have been getting in the mood - we walked just under five miles to the pub today to meet friends from Norfolk. After a couple of pints of 'Humbug' and a pint of 'Sleighbells' all seemed a better place. :)

Off to climb the wooden stairs. Night night.

Kindest regards. Barr1e

I agree with you that Ian should take time off. As for your exploits, no wonder you need to climb the wooden hill. Dream about receiving a message that you will receive the grip before Xmas. You never know!

Goodnight

Best regards

PeterD

Barr1e 15th December 2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterD (Post 2466)
I agree with you that Ian should take time off. As for your exploits, no wonder you need to climb the wooden hill. Dream about receiving a message that you will receive the grip before Xmas. You never know!

Goodnight

Best regards

PeterD

That will be nice! ;)

KR. B

Ian 16th December 2007 10:03 AM

Morning everyone!

Been preparing for a per-Christmas get together with Julia's parents today as they will be away at Christmas and rearranging the living room since acquiring a new LCD TV. Spent yesterday morning bolting it to the wall :)

We only have a small living room but the space saved now we don't have the old TV in there is quite remarkable. I recommend it! The LCD display quality is not as good as our old analogue TV, it has to be said. I did plan on getting a plasma screen as they do have better picture quality, but I, er, won the LCD, so I can't complain :)

I think we need some Christmas smileys on here - on the to-do list for next week :D

Ian

Paulpp 16th December 2007 12:33 PM

Just wondered about the HLD-4, whether you can tell if it is possible to fit the GS3 grip with a "normal" camera strap? And whether you have any info on when the GS3 might be available? Park Cameras say not yet available in Europe.

Ian 17th December 2007 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulpp (Post 2491)
Just wondered about the HLD-4, whether you can tell if it is possible to fit the GS3 grip with a "normal" camera strap? And whether you have any info on when the GS3 might be available? Park Cameras say not yet available in Europe.

I can compare the two grips and measure the distance between both ends of the strap guides, but I haven't used either strap myself.

Ian

Ian 17th December 2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulpp (Post 2491)

The main differences between the strap fittings for the two grips are:

1. The HLD-2/E-1 combination has a 'loose' strap lug at the top and the HLD-4/E-3 combination has two static fixtures at each end.

2. The width of the strap fixings are the same (about 12mm) but on the E-1 the total distance end to end is a minimum of 125mm, while it's about 150mm on the E-3.

3. The The anchoring point for the strap on the HLD-4 is on the base of the grip, whereas the HLD-2's is where the base and the side meet.

In conclusion, I'd have thought the HLD-2 strap would be OK as long as there was enough adjustment available. This will no doubt be confirned sooner or later :)

Ian

DerekW 17th December 2007 06:06 PM

Ian

Have you compared focus speed of the old style 50-200mm lens on an E3 with a HLD-4 containing two batteries and an E3 without the grip.
Is it faster - more positive

Thanks

Ian 17th December 2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekW (Post 2580)
Ian

Have you compared focus speed of the old style 50-200mm lens on an E3 with a HLD-4 containing two batteries and an E3 without the grip.
Is it faster - more positive

Thanks

Hi Derek,

I can't honestly say that I noticed any difference in the AF performance between single battery (no grip) and dual batteries with the grip using the 50-200.

Then again, I didn't notice huge difference when trying the same differences with an E-1 and HLD-2.

There is, however, a noticeable difference between the E-3 and E-1, mainly because the E-1 focuses in three distinct stages and the E-3 fels more like two stages and faster all the way. I think that's more to do with the AF algorithms than the power, though.

Ian

DerekW 17th December 2007 07:21 PM

Thanks - I will wait until my freebie grip arrives