Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Card specs (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49634)

sapper 26th January 2019 11:56 AM

Card specs
 
Lost/mislaid a card, Lexer DSD 32GB 1000x 150MB/s, so need another one. Question, would a faster card be better than the one described?

Card found in wife's laptop.

drmarkf 26th January 2019 02:28 PM

Re: Card specs
 
Ha!
I believe the M1ii won’t use 300Mb/s cards to their full potential so I stick to the 150s, and have never had the camera lock up while clearing the buffer. Cards are a lot cheaper than they were 6 months ago, though.

Growltiger 27th January 2019 12:26 PM

Re: Card specs
 
It is the write speed that matters not the read speed.
I use the SanDisk 300MB/s cards. They are what Olympus recommend for this camera.

steveliddle 27th January 2019 02:11 PM

Re: Card specs
 
Dealer reckoned a class 3 was ok, but prefer class 10

Got two Sandisk extreme pro's 95 mb/sec

From the Olympus site spec:
SD Memory Card (SDHC, SDXC, UHS‑I, UHS‑II compatible) Class 10 or higher SD card is recommended for movie shooting UHS‑II or UHS‑I U3 card is recommended for 4K, C4K, ALL‑I shooting.

Slot1: UHS‑I, II compatible; Slot2: UHS‑I compatible

With hindsight, the dealer should have offered me a https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/memor...epro-sd-uhs-ii

SANDISK EXTREME PRO SD UHS-II CARD
Up to 300/260MB/s read/write speed, video speed U3, the price on the dealers site is about £120 instead of the £40

Worth noting that the camera can only use one 300 mb card and olympus does not specify a brand :)

Will see how it goes with the camera and might buy a 300 mb card later :)

Growltiger 27th January 2019 05:26 PM

Re: Card specs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steveliddle (Post 469822)
Dealer reckoned a class 3 was ok, but prefer class 10

Got two Sandisk extreme pro's 95 mb/sec

From the Olympus site spec:
SD Memory Card (SDHC, SDXC, UHS‑I, UHS‑II compatible) Class 10 or higher SD card is recommended for movie shooting UHS‑II or UHS‑I U3 card is recommended for 4K, C4K, ALL‑I shooting.

Slot1: UHS‑I, II compatible; Slot2: UHS‑I compatible

With hindsight, the dealer should have offered me a https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/memor...epro-sd-uhs-ii


SANDISK EXTREME PRO SD UHS-II CARD
Up to 300/260MB/s read/write speed, video speed U3, the price on the dealers site is about £120 instead of the £40

Worth noting that the camera can only use one 300 mb card and olympus does not specify a brand :)

Will see how it goes with the camera and might buy a 300 mb card later :)

Olympus do specify the brand for UHS II, Sandisk. See here:
https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/sup...en_2016_04.cfm

You are right in saying what the dealer should have offered you.


The 95MB/s are fine for the second slot.

By the way it is MB not Mb which would be 8 times slower (so bytes not bits).

steveliddle 27th January 2019 07:06 PM

Re: Card specs
 
checked the card and it is written MB, had to check what you were on about

Megabits (Mb) and megabytes (MB) sound identical, and their abbreviations use the exact same letters, but they certainly don't mean the same thing.

but since i wrote mb in lower case and not Mb, not sure of the concern since mb and MB are the same :)

you missed the spec for toshiba, but they seem to have stopped selling in the uk anyway

Growltiger 27th January 2019 07:20 PM

Re: Card specs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steveliddle (Post 469868)
checked the card and it is written MB, had to check what you were on about

Megabits (Mb) and megabytes (MB) sound identical, and their abbreviations use the exact same letters, but they certainly don't mean the same thing.

but since i wrote mb in lower case and not Mb, not sure of the concern since mb and MB are the same :)


To be pedantic, m means milli, 1/1000, so mb means a millibit, one thousandth part of a bit.
M means Mega, a million, so MB means millions of bytes.

MikeOxon 28th January 2019 04:07 PM

Re: Card specs
 
As a 'stills' shooter only, I wish smaller UHS-II cards were still available. Sandisk appear to have dropped the 16GB cards, which I found very useful, since I find that size to be sufficient for most shoots and doesn't put 'too many eggs in one basket' The higher speed saves long waits, when using stacking in macro shooting.

AMc 29th January 2019 09:19 AM

Re: Card specs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeOxon (Post 469984)
As a 'stills' shooter only, I wish smaller UHS-II cards were still available. Sandisk appear to have dropped the 16GB cards, which I found very useful, since I find that size to be sufficient for most shoots and doesn't put 'too many eggs in one basket' The higher speed saves long waits, when using stacking in macro shooting.

FWIW this was the best value "small" UHS-II card I could find last week.
Lexar 1000x 32GB for £26.56 from Amazon (direct not marketplace).
I've tested it and it looks OK, time will tell on reliability

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F9R1K...-2&tag=av0c-21

I'm in the same "all eggs in one basket" mindset as you but there's nothing forcing me to fill it before I copy to the PC.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:41 AM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger