Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus Pen E-P3 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   E-P3 / VF-2 / magnify mode question (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16780)

Doug H 8th September 2011 10:01 AM

E-P3 / VF-2 / magnify mode question

Am I missing something? In order to use magnify mode, particularly with legacy lenses, when using the VF-2, I find I have to:
Turn off VF-2
Press magnify button
Choose my planned focus point by touching the screen (with focus mode selected) and, optionally, choose the amount of magnification
Press magnify button
Turn on the VF-2
Focus
Turn off magnify mode, recheck composition and settings and shoot.

Doing it once isn't so much of an issue, but repeating for the same shot following small moves and with narrow DOF makes me wonder if I've missed something.

A bit of a chore perhaps, but nevertheless, I am pleased to return to manually focussing - the VF-2 with its large bright image, makes this possible for me in a way that I haven't been able to do with DLSR's. Re-discovering long forgotten lenses and effectively slowing down the whole photo taking process are real delights - and, of course, auto focus is still there on my 4/3, m4/3 lenses when I need the speed. I suspect that the E-P3 will become my "manual" camera while my E-3 stays in place for faster shooting

Doug

StephenL 8th September 2011 12:14 PM

Re: E-P3 / VF-2 / magnify mode question

Don't know about the E-P3, but with the E-P2 it was simply a matter of touching the magnify button. A half-press on the shutter button was enough to return it to normal unmagnified mode.

Doug H 8th September 2011 03:48 PM

Thanks Stephen,
I don't know the E-P2, but my guess is on the E-P3 you can touch the screen to indicate the focus point - so it doesn't seem to know which focus point you want to use until you do so. I'd just like to find the way to make the focus point the same till I re-select it when focussing manually. It doesn't seem to work using whichever point/s I select for autofocus operation - which is what I think I'm missing.
Touching the screen at the point you want to use is a nice touch (though not as neat as Canon's (film) eye controlled focus), but once having raised the camera to my eye, I don't want to take it away again in order to look at the monitor.
Touching the screen to autofocus and take the shot is also a nice touch - but, for me, leads to too much shake - though fun to play with on a tripod.

Doug

DekHog 8th September 2011 03:50 PM

With E-PL2 you do the following:

Press 'Magnify' button.
Press 'Info' button.
Zoom box will appear and you use the scroll wheel to set the magnification.
Press OK button - magnify area now active and showing in green square.
Use the button/wheel to move it to the desired area on the screen.
Press OK button again and it will disappear.

No matter if you switch the camera off or not, all you have to do to activate it again is press the zoom button twice - first time will show it, second time will zoom to it.

I can't imagine it's much, if any different, on the P3.....

Doug H 8th September 2011 09:43 PM

mmm, thanks, Derek
so far I think the E-P3 must be different, largely because of the touch screen:
Without doing some detailed tests, I don't find a ready consistency - with an m4/3 lens and without using the VF-2 it seems to work better but it seems to me that using the VF-2 adds a complication.
I haven't been able to start the magnify mode when using the VF-2 - the manual seems to indicate this works with 'monitor' only (but it definitely works with the VF-2) - so I always seem to have to switch off the VF-2 then start magnify mode then go back to VF-2.

There is also a known issue with the touch screen (even with the touch controls turned off) that touching the screen while using the VF-2 causes some controls to lock (somewhat disconcerting until I move the camera away from my nose). It's possible that touching the screen while using the VF-2 somehow cancels the focus setting - but I am trying hard not to do that in case that is the problem.

Doug

DekHog 9th September 2011 07:37 AM

Doug, that doesn't sound right to me. The known issue with the touch screen and controls locking up was resolved, at least temporarily (until a firmware update), by turning the touch screen off in the menus. If it's turned off it shouldn't be possible for it to have any effect on anything else.

The VF-2/magnify thing also sounds extremely weird to me - the manual says you have to toggle the VF-2 off/on for it to work? I think I'd be dropping Olympus a line or a phone call, as their manuals are, erm,........ *^$#!

Doug H 9th September 2011 09:32 AM

Thanks, I clearly need to study this more.. I only turned off the touch screen on the screen itself (3 choices - select focus point and focus/ select focus point, focus and shoot/ off) but did not turn off in the menu settings themselves - one of my attractions to the E-P3 was 'touch the screen where you want the focus', so I don't really want to turn it off at that level (not sure if it's any different, but I guess it is).
I find the magnify button operation to seem a bit random - sometimes the green square appears when I press the button, sometimes it doesn't, so I tend to always press where I want the focus whenever I don't see the green square.

Am off on holiday so more time to play with it!

Doug

Doug H 11th October 2011 06:21 PM

When I first started this thread, I hadn't said that I had put a protective film over the touch screen - I tend to do this with all screens to keep them scratch free, but in this case, it clearly affected the camera operation. Following a thread on Dpreview, I took the film off and the magnify button now works normally.
I use a tablet pc extensively and its screen would have been scratched to pieces without the film, but clearly the camera doesn't like it.

Ulfric M Douglas 11th October 2011 06:41 PM

I'm guessing the film was somehow telling the screen it was being pressed ... maybe all the time.
Glad it's sorted.

Wally 13th July 2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug H (Post 137422)
When I first started this thread, I hadn't said that I had put a protective film over the touch screen - I tend to do this with all screens to keep them scratch free, but in this case, it clearly affected the camera operation. Following a thread on Dpreview, I took the film off and the magnify button now works normally.
I use a tablet pc extensively and its screen would have been scratched to pieces without the film, but clearly the camera doesn't like it.

I know this is an old thread but having just purchased an e-p3... the info regards the LCD protection cover has answered my intended question. *chr