Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Foto Fair (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Flying Scotsman comes through Derbyshire (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50507)

Phill D 6th May 2019 06:12 PM

The Flying Scotsman comes through Derbyshire

Reminds me of a scene from the film The Railway Children.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5050983-5.jpg

Keith-369 6th May 2019 07:43 PM

Re: The Flying Scotsman comes through Derbyshire

Definitely a 'Railway Children' moment. *chr

pandora 6th May 2019 07:58 PM

Aside from being the restored Flying Scotsman, that is one helluva shot, Phill - photojournalism at its very best.
I bet it cost a pretty penny to be aboard that sentimental journey.

I recently watched a BBC doco on the restoration. The Scotsman was capable of incredible speed I believe.

Internaut 6th May 2019 08:13 PM

Yes, a great shot of old locomotive.

birdboy 6th May 2019 09:34 PM

That's great wide angle framing Phil. Gives the Flying Scotsman a presence in its lanscape.*chr

Phill D 7th May 2019 07:39 AM

Gosh thanks guys much appreciated, you've really made me smile now. It was a shot I had in my mind before I got it but the people were an added bonus. I was a bit dismayed when they first started to turn up as I hadn't planned for them but there was no way I could complain! Anyway as it happened I soon realised I'd get a different shot and they definitely added an excited atmosphere to the shot that really conveyed the feel of the moment a lot better. The Scotsman was about a half hour late passing us and they started to wave at every train that came past as they waited.

OM USer 7th May 2019 10:15 AM

No shame in having the people in the shot and it does give the scene some extra importance. Well framed. I have some shots of it up at the NRM but alas nothing steaming through the countryside.

Naughty Nigel 8th May 2019 02:11 PM

Cracking shot Phil. I would have loved to have seen it myself but this is a very good substitute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 480083)
I recently watched a BBC doco on the restoration. The Scotsman was capable of incredible speed I believe.

The Scotsman was fast but others were faster. Numbered 4472 Scotsman became the first steam locomotive to be officially clocked at 100 mph (160.9 km/h) on 30 November 1934.

However, the Mallard was clocked at 126 mph (202 km/h) on the 3rd of July 1938; a record which she still holds for steam traction.

Rocknroll59 8th May 2019 02:37 PM

I like it a lot...!! Just captures what steam still means to both young and old..whereabouts was it Phil...near Matlock?

Peter

pandora 8th May 2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 480201)
Cracking shot Phil. I would have loved to have seen it myself but this is a very good substitute.

The Scotsman was fast but others were faster. Numbered 4472 Scotsman became the first steam locomotive to be officially clocked at 100 mph (160.9 km/h) on 30 November 1934.

However, the Mallard was clocked at 126 mph (202 km/h) on the 3rd of July 1938; a record which she still holds for steam traction.

I only wish we had the Scotsman or a Mallard on our NE Victorian line, instead of the derelict trains that run between Melbourne and the Victorian border - I suspect we bought them from a Calcutta disposal store - so overcrowded even here that like in India some of us travel on the roof!

Phill D 8th May 2019 08:05 PM

The Scotsman is travelling round the country, this leg was from Chesterfield to Burton-on-Trent I think. My shot was taken just North of a village called Milford. It certainly was a magnificent site and really pleasing to see the reaction it got. It's really popular and people still turn out to see her. A bit too popular at times maybe as there have been instances of people straying on the tracks delaying the trains!