Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus Pen E-PL1 (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   HELP! E-PL1 and 4/3 lens use (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16560)

DJMC 23rd August 2011 03:10 PM

E-PL1 and 4/3 lens use

:)

E-PL1 has arrived with its m43 14-42 lens and looks to be very similar to the XZ-1 in menus and usage.

With the appropriate adapter, I understand the standard 4/3 40-150 MkII lens will work on the E-PL1?

I'm looking at a 'RJ Camera' adapter marketed by 'jinfinance' on ebay. Has anyone experience of these? They're allegedly very good, and of course much cheaper.

Thanks for any help!

*chr

Nick Temple-Fry 23rd August 2011 04:03 PM

Re: E-PL1 and 4/3 lens use

There are a few sellers on e-bay offerring 4/3 - m4/3'rds adapters, they are useless unless you have a fully manual 4/3'rds lens (say a samyang or a legacy lens which already has a 4/3'rds adapter).

The problem is all Olympus 4/3'rds lenses need electrical contacts to focus (even in m/f for most) and to control the aperture.

Can't see the jinfinance listing for a 4/3'rd to m4/3'rd but unless it replicates the chip and contact mapping it's a no-no.

The 40-150 plus an olympus adapter works well on a Pen.

Nick

StephenL 23rd August 2011 04:08 PM

RJ adaptors are very good, but they don't make one which has the electrical connectors for 4/3 to m4/3. As far as I know, there are no 3rd party adaptors marketed which fully replicate the genuine ones.

I may have a MMF1 or MMF2 for sale, if you're interested? PM me.

DJMC 23rd August 2011 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info!

Yes, it would have to have the electrical contacts etc, so I'll give that one a miss.

;)

biggerbr 29th October 2011 12:15 AM

I have just bought one of the Viltrox JY-43F 4/3 to Micro 4/3 adapters off EBay. It arrived this afternoon so I have only tried it briefly but it looks good so far. It seems to have all the features of the MMF-1 and the focusing definitely works. It also seems well made and is metal bodied.

Nick Temple-Fry 29th October 2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggerbr (Post 139222)
I have just bought one of the Viltrox JY-43F 4/3 to Micro 4/3 adapters off EBay. It arrived this afternoon so I have only tried it briefly but it looks good so far. It seems to have all the features of the MMF-1 and the focusing definitely works. It also seems well made and is metal bodied.

Seems an interesting bit of kit, though at 50 not cheap (though cheaper than than the mmf-2).

I wonder if there will be a reaction from Olympus/Panasonic, as the camera is aware that it is driving the lens through an adapter in the firmware code.

Let us know how you get on.

Nick

Ulfric M Douglas 29th October 2011 07:44 PM

Brian I'm sure a lot of users would be most interested in pics and tales of how your adapter operates ... keep us updated please.
this seems to be the first non-original working-AF adapter!

biggerbr 29th October 2011 08:01 PM

I've only had chance to play with it for a few minutes as I'm on nights and I get frowned at if I 'play' instead of going to bed (something to do with getting grumpy) but so far it looks very good. Next week I will give it a good going over and try and post some photos. As I say I'm quite impressed so far, I actually took a shot of one of the grandson's lego figures using the long end of my 40-150 ex E-1 lens and it's sharp and properly exposed, which is a good start.

Mind you, it looks very odd having a small camera with a big lens on it. I've put a picture of it in my gallery.

d___y___ 22nd March 2012 01:47 PM

Thanks for the above post, giving me a bit more confidence in the adapter. is there any chance of an update to this? I'd love to know about the performance of the adapter. I've also heard there was a software update for the 4/3 lenses, did this make an improvement in using the 4/3 lenses on m4/3 bodies? any details would be helpful to this newbie :)

Robusto 3rd December 2012 09:08 PM

are these as good as the MMF 2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Four-Third...item3a7b4c0b5e

for half the price