Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Accessory talk (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New Printer (https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35481)

Rocknroll59 16th November 2014 02:05 PM

New Printer
 
Anyone recently bought a new printer for photo's ?? I'm thinking of changing my old HP do it all for a more up to date version. Don't really need a fax now, but scanner is a must plus a copier, but primarily getting decent photo's without costing the earth for each print. Worth changing or shall I stick to downloading to one of the labs online to sort out?? I'm sure I will get some good comments on this subject...

Cheers

Peter

StephenL 16th November 2014 02:18 PM

Re: New Printer
 
It all depends on how much control you want over your output, and how quickly you want to see results. Even cheap printers produce decent results the days. Of course, the cost of the printer is not really the issue, it's the ongoing ink costs.

Rocknroll59 16th November 2014 02:30 PM

Re: New Printer
 
Thanks Stephen, of course ink costs can be expensive and you have to consider those....I have been looking at the Canon PIXMA Pro 100, but it doesn't seem to have a scanner!

Peter

StephenL 16th November 2014 02:40 PM

Re: New Printer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 (Post 319502)
Thanks Stephen, of course ink costs can be expensive and you have to consider those....I have been looking at the Canon PIXMA Pro 100, but it doesn't seem to have a scanner!

Peter

No, it doesn't, but it's one hell of an A3+ printer! You could look at whatever has replaced the Canon MP495. That's got a scanner and can produce excellent prints at relatively cheap OEM ink costs, but obviously not to the close-scrutiny standard of the Pro 100. And it's only A4. But at least you can produce something to tell you whether it's worth sending something off to get printed larger.

byegad 16th November 2014 07:09 PM

Re: New Printer
 
Epson XP750 bought just over a month ago for £130. Epson XL inks run around £60for the set of 6. Luckily 7day shop sell a compatible set for whole lot cheaper!

Results are outstanding with cheap paper and inks and better than the last lot of prints I got done by a well known firm.

Jim Ford 16th November 2014 08:15 PM

Re: New Printer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by byegad (Post 319532)
Epson XP750 bought just over a month ago for 130. Epson XL inks run around 60for the set of 6. Luckily 7day shop sell a compatible set for whole lot cheaper!

Are the latest Epson printers any better than those of a few years ago that suffered from nozzle blocking.

With the last Epson I owned I used to waste half the contents of an ink cartridge in priming and clearing nozzles. This also was true of all the Epsons I've owned and I vowed never to buy another Epson again.

Jim

StephenL 16th November 2014 08:32 PM

Re: New Printer
 
Got to agree with Jim. That's why I moved to Canon. Epson PQ is superb - eventually. But unless you were printing daily, forget it. Maybe they're better now?

tomphotofx 16th November 2014 09:05 PM

Re: New Printer
 
I'm quite happy with the Epson XL950 A3 + Scanner etc plus I also have a Stylus Pro 7890 I've never had a problem with nozzles clogging which incidentally is usually caused by lack of use. Always run a couple of sheets of paper through the printer every week it's the best way to avoid head cleaning and nozzle clogging. As for using cheap compatible inks forget it you'll regret it in the long term.

Tom.

raichea 16th November 2014 09:43 PM

Re: New Printer
 
I've been struggling with this for a while. I've had both Canon and Epson in the past and always found Epson to be a bit more prone to head clogging problems. Trouble is my volume isn't great. I really like the sound of the Canon Pro 100 - think I saw someone on here (StephenL?) say they have one. Wondering what kind of print volume you put through it - I might not print at all for several weeks, and it's a pricey printer to bin if the heads get blocked.

Steve

byegad 17th November 2014 08:22 AM

Re: New Printer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 319537)
Are the latest Epson printers any better than those of a few years ago that suffered from nozzle blocking.

With the last Epson I owned I used to waste half the contents of an ink cartridge in priming and clearing nozzles. This also was true of all the Epsons I've owned and I vowed never to buy another Epson again.

Jim

Initial set up did use some ink, replacing the cartridge doesn't require any ink use, all you do is pop in the new one and go on printing. Time will tell regarding nozzles!

StephenL 17th November 2014 08:36 AM

Re: New Printer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by raichea (Post 319545)
I've been struggling with this for a while. I've had both Canon and Epson in the past and always found Epson to be a bit more prone to head clogging problems. Trouble is my volume isn't great. I really like the sound of the Canon Pro 100 - think I saw someone on here (StephenL?) say they have one. Wondering what kind of print volume you put through it - I might not print at all for several weeks, and it's a pricey printer to bin if the heads get blocked.

Steve

It can go a week or more without printing, as I have an MFP for routine stuff. Canon heads don't block. But if you haven't used it for a while there's a lengthy self-cleaning process it goes through.

raichea 17th November 2014 09:43 AM

Re: New Printer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenL (Post 319579)
It can go a week or more without printing, as I have an MFP for routine stuff. Canon heads don't block. But if you haven't used it for a while there's a lengthy self-cleaning process it goes through.

Thanks... that's useful.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:02 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger